Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

nhg wrote: »
    Sent a few bullocks to dawn earlier in the week, base €3.90 - only one overweight (450kg) got €3.90 for him and bb bonus on the rest.

Did you agree the 3.90 flat beforehand on any carcus over 400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was talking to a guy this week that finishes a lot of different types and he said ya, hitting anything over 400Kg. Forget how much. As he says, too many cattle around. They can afford to be fussy.

This is the real issue too many lads finishing too many cattle over the winter. It has now started to be an issue that we are finishing more cattle during the winter than we do during the summer. Kill is higher at present that for most of June-November.

Lads think profibility is about chasing numbers. Had this discussion during the week with a lad that delivered a few bullocks for me. He was at me that I was storing too heavy cattle, That I should polish them off, slaughter them and buy replacments. Some of these are plain fresians that would have gone over 36 months. I think they will leave more money slaughtering them off grass in June/July. \But doctors differ and patients die.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This is the real issue too many lads finishing too many cattle over the winter. It has now started to be an issue that we are finishing more cattle during the winter than we do during the summer. Kill is higher at present that for most of June-November.

Well, when you think about it, with most of the calves in the country born within a few weeks in the spring and factories putting an age limit on things, what else is going to happen.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Well, when you think about it, with most of the calves in the country born within a few weeks in the spring and factories putting an age limit on things, what else is going to happen.

Age is not the omly issue. Lots of lads answer to lower margins is to increase numbers, this in turn reduces margin. Last week we killed over 33K cattle generally taht is an autumn kill figure. Lads speaking to me was on that I was wasting a pen storing cattle over the winter. My thinking is that there is no point fattening cattle over the winter if there is no margin.

It is like a drug with lads to turn over numbers, a lot of these cattle are leaving no margin. Lads need to step back and look at the system.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I was talking to a guy this week that finishes a lot of different types and he said ya, hitting anything over 400Kg. Forget how much. As he says, too many cattle around. They can afford to be fussy.

10c cut

Age is not the omly issue. Lots of lads answer to lower margins is to increase numbers, this in turn reduces margin. Last week we killed over 33K cattle generally taht is an autumn kill figure. Lads speaking to me was on that I was wasting a pen storing cattle over the winter. My thinking is that there is no point fattening cattle over the winter if there is no margin.

It is like a drug with lads to turn over numbers, a lot of these cattle are leaving no margin. Lads need to step back and look at the system.

True, 6 months from now, the opposite is going to happen. Cattle will be either too young or too old. Factories will have no option but to pay well for the over age cattle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone selling bulls between 16-24 months? What are prices like?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Anyone slaughter cows recently, dairy culls and have prices?

I heard from a 'well informed' source that there is a large finishing unit being built in Tipp at the moment to handle 2,500 cattle. The plan is to supply a certain factory on a needs be basis. Strong links to a concrete company. Plans in place for a similar sized one in the near future too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Things look fairly steady at the minute. The kill is well up on last year and factories seem keen for stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I got €3.30 flat price for o and p grade cows this week down in south west after a bit of haggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

cute geoge wrote: »
    I got €3.30 flat price for o and p grade cows this week down in south west after a bit of haggling

Sounds ok to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

I heard from a 'well informed' source that there is a large finishing unit being built in Tipp at the moment to handle 2,500 cattle. The plan is to supply a certain factory on a needs be basis. Strong links to a concrete company. Plans in place for a similar sized one in the near future too.
    There is already fair few lads in Tipp killing large numbers. Lad outside Roscrea killing 50 a week and others up with him. Killed cows and bulls (18 to 19 months) at 3.40 flat R grade 2 weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

barnaman wrote: »
    There is already fair few lads in Tipp killing large numbers. Lad outside Roscrea killing 50 a week and others up with him. Killed cows and bulls (18 to 19 months) at 3.40 flat R grade 2 weeks back.

I don't think any large finisher is killing only his own cattle any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

I don't think any large finisher is killing only his own cattle any more.

Yep afaics it's becoming a tEaM sport
    You still need to be very careful there is always a lad / s on the team that use a I in the spelling and one member usually owns the ball ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Killed a few bulls this week. U16 under 400kgs 385 on grid. One 19 mth old used as a teaser last season 385 for u grade. Told he'd be 375 for R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know what R grade cows are making now?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

5 overage bullocks here. 3 Hex and 2 Chx.
    What they likely to get anyone know. Would I ad be any better off to hold onto them for another 6 weeks

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    5 overage bullocks here. 3 Hex and 2 Chx.
    What they likely to get anyone know. Would I ad be any better off to hold onto them for another 6 weeks

What weight are they

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

What weight are they

They are left overs from a load last Nov. Going by that lot I reckon they are 670 - 700 kg. One lad possibly a shake more

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    They are left overs from a load last Nov. Going by that lot I reckon they are 670 - 700 kg. One lad possibly a shake more

Hard to see a rise before April ( and that may be optimistic.). If they were lighter I would grass them if you had land that would take them in mid March. I think that cattle will be really scarce for July and August. TBH if they are finished I would let them off but the truth is replacements are really scarce.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Hard to see a rise before April ( and that may be optimistic.). If they were lighter I would grass them if you had land that would take them in mid March. I think that cattle will be really scarce for July and August. TBH if they are finished I would let them off but the truth is replacements are really scarce.
    Money will be scarce before cattle

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Money will be scarce before cattle

Plenty of 2015 cattle around but these will not finish until end of the year. Not a lot of 2014 cattle that will finish finish from June until then. It will be similar to last year I say with a strong price during the summer.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Cheap oil never results in deer beef or anything else.. The job won't be as good as last year in mid June July but it will be the time to aim for as a rule as opposed to the backend of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

Any update on prices? any sign of it picking up at all?

Killing Bulls here at the moment but we are just getting €3.90 for U's, €3.8 for R's and €3.70 for 0's. Mixture of continentals and Freisians. They are trying to implement a cut of €0.20/kg for any animals over 420kg.

Had a lad in the yard offering us €2.20/kg flat liveweight for finished continental bulls and nearly finished continental heifers. Bit to low I think as the majority will kill out U= and heifers would get quality assurance on the grid.

Speaking to a guy I know well the other day, very large farmer who finishes mostly bullocks, he has not killed an animal on the grid yet, flat price only. It would be nice to be that big that the factory would agree to that in order to get the cattle!! To be fair, he is sending all his cattle around 80 miles to be killed.

• Advertisement

Ger1987 wrote: »

Killing Bulls here at the moment but we are just getting €3.90 for U's, €3.8 for R's and €3.70 for 0's. Mixture of continentals and Freisians. They are trying to implement a cut of €0.20/kg for any animals over 420kg.

Had a lad in the yard offering us €2.20/kg flat liveweight for finished continental bulls and nearly finished continental heifers. Bit to low I think as the majority will kill out U= and heifers would get quality assurance on the grid.

Speaking to a guy I know well the other day, very large farmer who finishes mostly bullocks, he has not killed an animal on the grid yet, flat price only. It would be nice to be that big that the factory would agree to that in order to get the cattle!! To be fair, he is sending all his cattle around 80 miles to be killed.

Kildare???

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Sent bulls off Thursday. €3.75 flat rate. Should be getting the kill sheet tomorrow

Kildare???

Kepak

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

any update on the Steer prices these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

dryan wrote: »
    any update on the Steer prices these days?

3.90base. Hasn't moved much in any direction since October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

Looking to move a Lim stock bull soon,was quoted 2.80 today,any other better quotes around? Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

danjoe wrote: »
    Looking to move a Lim stock bull soon,was quoted 2.80 today,any other better quotes around? Tia

Roscrea is usually the best place for those boys.

Ger1987 wrote: »

Where were they headed to and were they fussy about weights? PM me if you prefer.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Where were they headed to and were they fussy about weights? PM me if you prefer.

Heading for Kildare up near the M4. No issue with weights.

According to todays FI prices are starting to rise. 4.05/kg beginning to be available for heifers and tops reported of 4.09. Also processors doing deals on over 36 month cattle. It is a long road without a turn

On the negative side it seems they are splitting the O/P bull grades.

Slava Ukrainii

Anybody got quotes this week?

sent a few overage bullocks this morning - 3.90 base - midlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sent a 2 yo heifer this morning 4.00 base on the grid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Chx bought as suck. 15 mts 6 days. 330kg dw 3.85 base plus qa & 6c on grid. R+ 2+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Sent some this am €3.95 base +QA and bonus 4.13 R+3

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »

Any idea of weights yet? What age stock? Mine went to north tipp!

Any idea of weights yet? What age stock? Mine went to north tipp!

Pm sent

I said wrote: »

Heifers/bullocks/bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Chx bought as suck. 15 mts 6 days. 330kg dw 3.85 base plus qa & 6c on grid. R+ 2+.

Would it not have paid to feed him for another 3 weeks?

dryan wrote: »
    Heifers/bullocks/bulls?

Bullocks

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would it not have paid to feed him for another 3 weeks?

Prob would have been another 30quid in it I guess. Same animal could hardly walk last Sept. Hurt his back and thought he wouldn't get out of it. He started to get very boisterous last week buck leping and racing around the pin so for fear of him getting hurt again I cut losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Beef getting a bit scared.anyone else hear anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Did you mean SCARCE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That is not the story down in south west anyway ,i had cows booked in this morning and was put off for another week!!!

• Advertisement

5 well overage bullocks went yesterday. Agent said hopefully get 3.85 but might have to take 3.80

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement