Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    5 well overage bullocks went yesterday. Agent said hopefully get 3.85 but might have to take 3.80

Over 30 months or over 36? If under 36 you should be getting at least 3.90

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Over 30 months or over 36? If under 36 you should be getting at least 3.90

2 HEx over 36 months. SAx,BBx and CHx were 33/34 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

2 HEx over 36 months. SAx,BBx and CHx were 33/34 months.

How did the two hex kill out fat wise at that age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

have two young bulls to go in the next 1/2 weeks one is a chx 17 month and the other will be going under 16 month can u kill him on the day of his birthday or does it have to be before it i never killed any this age before and wat price are they making

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

leoch wrote: »
    have two young bulls to go in the next 1/2 weeks one is a chx 17 month and the other will be going under 16 month can u kill him on the day of his birthday or does it have to be before it i never killed any this age before and wat price are they making

Has to be the day before.

I wonder who is drip-feeding agriland?
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/beef-quotes-jump-by-5ckg-as-cattle-numbers-continue-to-tighten/

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/british-beef-prices-fall-to-a-five-year-low-and-it-may-not-be-good-for-ireland/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

blue5000 wrote: »

I say they have a couple of sources Cassiddy fed them the British Beef story I'd say

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Cassidy may lack in diplomacy at time ,like myself, but he's never too far off the truth bass reeves!

3.95 in slaney for underage Herefords but the devil is in the detail. Grading is diabolical there lately. Conformation and fat scores being used to wallop the base price.. Loving the O- and 5s. Larry might as well have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Willfarman wrote: »
    Cassidy may lack in diplomacy at time ,like myself, but he's never too far off the truth bass reeves!

3.95 in slaney for underage Herefords but the devil is in the detail. Grading is diabolical there lately. Conformation and fat scores being used to wallop the base price.. Loving the O- and 5s. Larry might as well have it.
    I wonder would this be as a result of the changed grading formula that was trialled last Oct for roll out to all plants.
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/a-new-beef-grading-formula-to-be-rolled-out-at-meat-plants/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

€4.00 base for bullocks and €4.10 heifers in kepak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

3.25 o&p cows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

simx wrote: »
    3.25 o&p cows

Is that up any

• Registered Users Posts: 12 avent

does know anything about bull prices 5 year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Is that up any

Nah not really I'd say be up in a week or two

I think there's a bit of a lift alright. €3.30 for O grade cows min dw 280kg near me.

AFAIK lads who felt they got a raw deal around christmas didn't bother filling the sheds again, and let's face it grass cattle will be scarce for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

I think there's a bit of a lift alright. €3.30 for O grade cows min dw 280kg near me.

AFAIK lads who felt they got a raw deal around christmas didn't bother filling the sheds again, and let's face it grass cattle will be scarce for a while yet.

Everyone stick tight for 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Everyone stick tight for 2 weeks

Can't wait 2 weeks going with 2 bulls this week one under 16 month

How did the two hex kill out fat wise at that age?

Sorry cheque and score card only came today.
    Both of them O=3=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know how much a Lim (bull I assume) 22 months old, Carcase weight 437kgs, U+3- killed two months ago would have made?

tanko wrote: »
    Anyone know how much a Lim (bull I assume) 22 months old, Carcase weight 437kgs, U+3- killed two months ago would have made?

Rough guess 3.80-390 per kg. But depends where he went, some places would have a weight penalty.

Don't know where he ended up, i sold him last June, 465kgs €1120.

• Advertisement

I'd say costs were covered anyway.

I'd say costs were covered anyway.

He didn't leave second man a whole pile. Would reckon tanko had twice the profit margin out of him?

"Profit margain", lol :D

Don't know where he ended up, i sold him last June, 465kgs €1120.

He would have grossed about 1660 at 3.8/kg and netted 1650 after factory deductions.. He cost 1140 after fees and transport landed in the yard. Finisher had 510 to takes his costs out of. He must have got poor enough weight gain off grass for the summer. If he killled 58% he was 750 LW at slaughter. He did 285 kgs since last June. He seemed to have been killed mid February. That is an average of 1.2kgs/day

You would imagine that he was houses Mid October at the latest and maybe earlier as September was wet last year. He surely cost 3/day indoors at 120 days that is 360 euro. Grass, a bit of ration outside for August and September 120 day outside at 1 euro/day including ration. 480 in feed costs hard to see a margin out of him I hope you had more than twicw what the finisher had Tanko

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

He would have grossed about 1660 at 3.8/kg and netted 1650 after factory deductions.. He cost 1140 after fees and transport landed in the yard. Finisher had 510 to takes his costs out of. He must have got poor enough weight gain off grass for the summer. If he killled 58% he was 750 LW at slaughter. He did 285 kgs since last June. He seemed to have been killed mid February. That is an average of 1.2kgs/day

You would imagine that he was houses Mid October at the latest and maybe earlier as September was wet last year. He surely cost 3/day indoors at 120 days that is 360 euro. Grass, a bit of ration outside for August and September 120 day outside at 1 euro/day including ration. 480 in feed costs hard to see a margin out of him I hope you had more than twicw what the finisher had Tanko
    If he got away as bullock though, on the grid at €3.90 plus QA he would be 437 kgs at €4.26 coming into €1861. There is surely some profit in that. Or maybe the lad that you sold lost both his tags as did another bullock and they just mistakenly were retagged incorrectly and your lad is still walking around with a different tag in him.

Would anyone buy a 14 month old bull weighing 465kgs and castrate him? Even if he was castrated would it be possible to finish him at 22 months?

Would anyone buy a 14 month old bull weighing 465kgs and castrate him? Even if he was castrated would it be possible to finish him at 22 months?

The answer to the first part is yes but unlikly, the answer to the final part is very unlikly. As well if he graded U+ as a bullock he would grade E= as a bull. He was your weanling was he an E grade bull.

Slava Ukrainii

A good U not an E I'd say. This is him at 7 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

A good U not an E I'd say. This is him at 7 months.

Tanko your like myself checking icbf for progeny performance heres one for yous lads sold a ch bullock at the end of oct he was 695kg i got 1600 for him. He was killed mid to late feb with a carcass weight of 508Kg and graded E-2+ did I give him away ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

limo_100 wrote: »
    Tanko your like myself checking icbf for progeny performance heres one for yous lads sold a ch bullock at the end of oct he was 695kg i got 1600 for him. He was killed mid to late feb with a carcass weight of 508Kg and graded E-2+ did I give him away ;)

Where on icbf do you get this sorted of info.

dh1985 wrote: »
    Where on icbf do you get this sorted of info.

If you're in herdplus with ICBF which costs €60 per year. You go into profiles, then beef eurostar and click on the cows tag number. Then click on progeny and it show how her progeny killed out.

He was probably 850kg live weight when killed assuming he killed out at 60% so he had to put 150 kg on him. So 5kg of meal a day for 100 days plus silage would put that on him. So €120 for meal plus a bit of silage. €200 would have fed him and another €100 for dosing, transport etc.
    So Say €350 cost to finish him plus the €1600 is €1950. He would have got €4.32 a kg incl bonus assuming he wasn't cut for weight so €2194. He might have left the finisher €250 for 4 months. He didn't do too bad. You probably didn't do too bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

He was probably 850kg live weight when killed assuming he killed out at 60% so he had to put 150 kg on him. So 5kg of meal a day for 100 days plus silage would put that on him. So €120 for meal plus a bit of silage. €200 would have fed him and another €100 for dosing, transport etc.
    So Say €350 cost to finish him plus the €1600 is €1950. He would have got €4.32 a kg incl bonus assuming he wasn't cut for weight so €2194. He might have left the finisher €250 for 4 months. He didn't do too bad. You probably didn't do too bad either

we bought did well so I had him for 20months and wasn't that big but he was low and broad and round as f*ck, Its the best price we even got in the mart for a store animal in fairness i dont think i'll beat it anytime soon but at least its something to aim for in future,

Not sure if he would kill 60% more likely 58% because of FS2+. That would mean that he was 890kgs LW at slaughter. So 190 kgs was put on him kgs. Sounds like he was on Ad lib and was slaughtered 100 days after going on it. He would have eaten 2% of his body weight/day in DM he average 790kg over the finishing period.

If that was the case he cost 3.5/day during the finishing period or 350 euro plus dosing transport mortality costs ( across all this finisher costs), slaughter fees say 70 euro. He cost 420 to finish so was up over 2K on costs.

At 508kgs like jacks says if he was uncut for weight and got the QA bonus he came into 2194, if he was docked 20c/kg for weight and the QA bonus as well he only got 4.02/kg. He would have averaged 2050. More than likly he was not cut as finishers that deal in these type of animals really watch the penelty's and have total agreement with processor. However he may have only Been paid to the U+ grade or got a flat price for him maybe 4.2/kg as some processors do not pay on the grid for E grade animals.

While a finisher might have squeezed my feed costs using a diet feeder he would have higher machiney costs and labour involved as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

killed a couple of cows this week 1, U-3 440kgs paid at 3.60/kg other one , R-4 451kgs paid at 3.5/kg. happy with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

What price would a 10 year limousine bull make in factory. About 950 kg good condition.

What daily weight gain should I expect from 2 year old HEx over the next 6 months on grass anyone know ?

What daily weight gain should I expect from 2 year old HEx over the next 6 months on grass anyone know ?

It would depend on if they are good rangy hungry store's (unlikely) or hothouse flowers. 0.8kgs/day would be goodish going. 140kgs over 180 days.

Slava Ukrainii

It would depend on if they are good rangy hungry store's (unlikely) or hothouse flowers. 0.8kgs/day would be goodish going. 140kgs over 180 days.

On good leafy grass maybe a touch more. For what you bought them for CHOPS and the weight they were you'd want to be getting them to at least 1.2kg per day. That would give them 220kg gain on the 480kg ave you bought them for. That's 700kg LW approx 360DW and with QA u30mts and Hereford bonus possibly 4.10/kg. You'll need every cent of it. You'll have to buy some finishing stuff to push them in for last 3mts. Starting off at 2kg and up to 5kg at end and still on good grass. Then there's the danger if they are butty and going over fat in which case LG will r**e ya and ya won't even get base price for them😣.

Bass hit the nail on the head there. have had hungry Herefords do 2 kg here in June . Absolutely no breed like them to endure a winter of little subsistence and then convert grass to beef. It's an under used merit of the breed in these lean times. But in general over the the full grazing season .8 of kg is my benchmark too.

• Advertisement

Bass hit the nail on the head there. have had hungry Herefords do 2 kg here in June . Absolutely no breed like them to endure a winter of little subsistence and then convert grass to beef. It's an under used merit of the breed in these lean times. But in general over the the full grazing season .8 of kg is my benchmark too.
    What weight gain would you expect off hungry Friesian yearlings?

What weight gain would you expect off hungry Friesian yearlings?

If they are hungry but have frames now not stunted or disease survivors 150kg is achievable by mid October.

If they are hungry but have frames now not stunted or disease survivors 150kg is achievable by mid October.

Thanks Wouldn't be too bad I suppose. Weighed them a few weeks ago and they are round 330lg so I'll dig this post up again when I weigh them at housing time.

I agree. Nothing like them to put flesh on with grass alone. Point being with a little push they could do 1kg per day ave over year and be fit to kill at 22-24mts eliminating second winter. Would that not be more cost effective? This would be from calf to beef route and not buying stores like CHOPS.

On good leafy grass maybe a touch more. For what you bought them for CHOPS and the weight they were you'd want to be getting them to at least 1.2kg per day. That would give them 220kg gain on the 480kg ave you bought them for. That's 700kg LW approx 360DW and with QA u30mts and Hereford bonus possibly 4.10/kg. You'll need every cent of it. You'll have to buy some finishing stuff to push them in for last 3mts. Starting off at 2kg and up to 5kg at end and still on good grass. Then there's the danger if they are butty and going over fat in which case LG will r**e ya and ya won't even get base price for them😣.

Not sure if there si much point in going over 3kgs on grass unless garss is scarce at year end and if grass is very wet they would do better with either hay grass and ration out side or silage and ration inside.

Feeding 3 kgs on grass is costing at least 1,15/day and if paying 7/bag for a ration you are up on 1.35/day feeding costs including 50c/day for grass. Feeding 5 kgs/day you are at 1.9/ at 7/bag. On that amount of ration they would want to be putting on 0.6 kg/day of flesh( over 1 kg LW/day) for you to make money and on. However the real benchmark is what extra weight they have to put on to pay for the ration. If they are doing 0.8kgs/day on grass alone. At 7/bag for dation they need to do an extra 0.33kgs DW at an end price of 4.2/kg and 0.35kgs DW extra at 4/kg. If this was converting at 60% you would need 0.55kgs LW/day extra with the ration. IMO all you are doing when taking time into account is giving beef at cost to Larry

Then you have the danger that they will go over fat everything with two year old HE and AA is as much weight off grass alone and a 2-3kgs of a mix for last 6-8 weeks. Barley and soya hulls ( about 200/ton I expect this year) if you are doing enough cattle otherwise I would feeding straight barley from the bag you should pay no more than 220/ton for that. Price and weight off grass is everything.

There is a lot to be said for targeting them off grass to avoid the second winter. However as Willfarmer said they are the one animal that will do well on goodish silage alone especially if it is high in DM. 68+ DMD silage at over 35%DM and they will trive away over the winter and if you are softish like me you might give them 1.5kg/day ration with minerals and calcium. If you can get away with a 120 day winter your costs will be not much with 1 euro/day. Watch them thrive when they hit grass on or before St Patricks day.

Slava Ukrainii

I agree. Nothing like them to put flesh on with grass alone. Point being with a little push they could do 1kg per day ave over year and be fit to kill at 22-24mts eliminating second winter. Would that not be more cost effective? This would be from calf to beef route and not buying stores like CHOPS.

On a calf to beef job I think definitely. Allows you to run more small cattle per acre and you are getting more from the grass. Calves have to be born Feb or before though. March calves onwards harder to work

On a calf to beef job I think definitely. Allows you to run more small cattle per acre and you are getting more from the grass. Calves have to be born Feb or before though. March calves onwards harder to work

You would be killing at 20-22 months rather than 24 months. Lots of HE/AA cattle are killed out of the shed at this age anyway. These are March/April born cattle that are killed at this stage. Hard to buy HE especially that are January/February born. Dairy farmers in general only let the HE bull to cows after the first 4-6 weeks of AI. Other factor mitigating against it is autumn price is generally lower than at other times of year. However you ddo get the higher AA/He bonus from mid November(I think) until mid January. They will kill sub 300 in general about 280kgs. At a price of 4/kg they be making 1100-1150 at slaughter. If you pay 300+ as early calves is there a margin especially if you lose 2-3% of calves and it could be more.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

CHOPS?

CHOPS?

CHOPS01 first poster on the two yr old hex question. ☺

You would be killing at 20-22 months rather than 24 months. Lots of HE/AA cattle are killed out of the shed at this age anyway. These are March/April born cattle that are killed at this stage. Hard to buy HE especially that are January/February born. Dairy farmers in general only let the HE bull to cows after the first 4-6 weeks of AI. Other factor mitigating against it is autumn price is generally lower than at other times of year. However you ddo get the higher AA/He bonus from mid November(I think) until mid January. They will kill sub 300 in general about 280kgs. At a price of 4/kg they be making 1100-1150 at slaughter. If you pay 300+ as early calves is there a margin especially if you lose 2-3% of calves and it could be more.

All calves bought this yr are oct-jan calves so that's the way I would be looking at. I will keep pushing them to be doing the kg a day and have them pushing towards 700kg lw by slaughter.That's if I can get me hands in extra ground. I reared two nov born hex to 450kg at 16mts sold this March and they were by no means exceptional calves when bought as sucks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement