Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shady Dealer

• 24-01-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi All,

I bought a used car off a dealer in Dublin less than a month ago. I test drove it two days before i bought and noticed the check engine light was on, i spoke to the dealer and said i would take it if he fixed what ever was causing the check engine light to come on and also flush and change the oil as there was mustard coloured gloop in it he swore was condensation.

He agreed and i returned two days later and took it. On the drive home though the check engine light came on and stayed on. this was 2 days before christmas so i called them and told the but they asked me to wait until the new year to bring it in to them to be looked at again

I did this and again the problem looked fixed until i was driving home when the newly fixed check engine light came on again.

the car isnt even in my name yet.

Am i in the right asking for them to take the car back and refund me?

they have attempted and failed repairs twice and refuse to pick up the car or in anyway put themselves out to fix the issue.

The mouthy gentleman there keeps saying to me ''it was a trade sale'' as if it would mean something to me

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That mustard looking stuff is more commonly compared to mayonaise. Means water in the oil. Means run a fecking mile.

Car seems to be a lemon. Engine light coming on during a test drive really should have warned you off.

Go back to the dealer, failing that small claims. "Trade Sale" has no affect on sale of goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You mean he actually said there was condensation in the oil and you took it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

<snip>
    Pulled a similar stunt on me. Shorted the engine light behind the dash. I got stung. I'd never go near them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MarkR wrote: »
    That mustard looking stuff is more commonly compared to mayonaise. Means water in the oil. Means run a fecking mile.

Please do research before you blabber crap.

Yes, it means water in oil. But many, many cars have this purely on the oil cap as it is condensation (ie. water and oil mixed).

Mostly happens on smaller cars or car that do a lot of short journeys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Op, if you signed for the car and it stated "trade sale" on the invoice/reciept or any documentation, your on your own.

If you did'nt he must fix it - check what documents you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

What car is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JoeRadd

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Op, if you signed for the car and it stated "trade sale" on the invoice/reciept or any documentation, your on your own.

If you did'nt he must fix it - check what documents you have.

The invoice said "sold as seen" but when I bought it their was no check engine light on and their was new oil with no mustard in it, so as seen at that point was a perfectly normal car. The engine light only came on when I was driving it home

voxpop wrote: »
    What car is it ?

Saab 95 2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ants09

not worth the paper its written on

JoeRadd wrote: »
    The invoice said "sold as seen" but when I bought it their was no check engine light on and their was new oil with no mustard in it, so as seen at that point was a perfectly normal car. The engine light only came on when I was driving it home

Hi JoeRadd 'sold as seen' aint worth a curse in legal terms

• Advertisement

OP, you're on yer own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Zulu wrote: »
    I was being a bold boy?
    Pulled a similar stunt on me. Shorted the engine light behind the dash. I got stung. I'd never go near them again.
    <snip>

OP, you're on yer own.

Why do you say this, On the day i bought the car there was no check engine light and no mustard in the Oil, with in one hour of purchase something had gone wrong and caused the check engine light to come on.

I don't see how im on my own. The dealer has attempted to correct the problem a second time this Saturday gone but again on the drive home the light came on again.

Why would they attempt a repair if they had no liability, i think they think ill just lie down if they claim they have no responsibility.

By attempting repair twice they are pretty much declaring its their responsibility are they not?

Ill avoid the **** out of them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I could be wrong here, but I think a "dealer" must provide a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty as a minimum on any car sold when selling to a member of the public.

I would write the dealer a letter pronto explaining the situation, and use the Small Claims Court to recoup the costs of getting the car fixed elsewhere if it comes to that. Try to get everything down on paper before you go to the Small Claims Court. I got a full refund of a deposit I had paid to a dodgy dealer through the Small Claims Court, and it only costs a tenner or so.

Your gloop could be a head gasket failure which will be a costly fix.

OP, you're on yer own.
    Why do you say this, On the day i bought the car there was no check engine light and no mustard in the Oil, with in one hour of purchase something had gone wrong and caused the check engine light to come on.

I don't see how im on my own. The dealer has attempted to correct the problem a second time this Saturday gone but again on the drive home the light came on again.

Why would they attempt a repair if they had no liability, i think they think ill just lie down if they claim they have no responsibility.

By attempting repair twice they are pretty much declaring its their responsibility are they not?

OP first off all it aint a trade sale, they are hiding behind the term trade sale which aint worth a curse in a court off law and they know that, they just want you to go away

ok, but then the fact that the mouthy gentleman there keeps saying to me ''it was a trade sale''...does'nt sound like you have much more to get out of him, and he's washing his hands of you and the car.....regardless of what recourse you have or think you might have.

The fact is that by the time you might chase this dealer all over the place in the courts or wherever, you'll be out lots more cash than you are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ill avoid the **** out of them
    So it was that dealer then?

ok, but then the fact that the mouthy gentleman there keeps saying to me ''it was a trade sale''...does'nt sound like you have much more to get out of him, and he's washing his hands of you and the car.....regardless of what recourse you have or think you might have.

The fact is that by the time you might chase this dealer all over the place in the courts or wherever, you'll be out lots more cash than you are now.

Cheers

I was going to go the way of the small claims court. Also i was hoping to resolve this soon as i need a car for work so im generally just looking for informed opinions on the perdiciment and i must im getting a good bit of help here.

Im also an incredibly principled individual and i will see this out to a conclusion whether it be i get my money back or i torch the thing on their property (Probably wont get this far).

Max Power1 wrote: »
    So it was that dealer then?

<snip> im going to point them in the direction of this thread as i seem to be getting a lot of in favour advice from you lot and i want to allow them to resolve the matter without being named and shamed.

• Advertisement

Cheers

I was going to go the way of the small claims court. Also i was hoping to resolve this soon as i need a car for work so im generally just looking for informed opinions on the perdiciment and i must im getting a good bit of help here.

Im also an incredibly principled individual and i will see this out to a conclusion whether it be i get my money back or i torch the thing on their property (Probably wont get this far).

before you go fill out the small claims court form, at least go down to him with the form and tell him you'll be filling it out and lodging it, that might stirr him into action......

before you go fill out the small claims court form, at least go down to him with the form and tell him you'll be filling it out and lodging it, that might stirr him into action......

I need to go home and look at the receipt, as far as searching the CRO and other avenues i cannot find a company by the name above the door so it must be a Sole trader,

They are a reasonably sized used car seller BTW 20-30 cars on the lot from 2002-2010

Cheers

OP read the following link regarding your rights
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0013.html#sec13

if i was you i send them a nice wee letter and outline what you want done and give them x no of days to put the problem right and if they dont then you have no hesitation but to take legal action against them, also mention to them that badwill suffered to there business when you win the case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes, it means water in oil. But many, many cars have this purely on the oil cap as it is condensation (ie. water and oil mixed).

I think he has a point.
    Yes, it could be condensation, but how is one to know within a 20 minute car inspection if it's condensation or something more serious?
    Mayonnaise in the oil cap and engine light on test drive, I would have to agree, don't touch with a 40 foot pole and run as fast and as far as you can, OP!

Let's not get carried away now, torching cars on dealer's forecourts :rolleyes:

ants09 wrote: »
    OP read the following link regarding your rights
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0013.html#sec13

if i was you i send them a nice wee letter and outline what you want done and give them x no of days to put the problem right and if they dont then you have no hesitation but to take legal action against them, also mention to them that badwill suffered to there business when you win the case

For sure, thanks,

I'm also going to try get hold of the owner as the guy i spoke to is beyond useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

MarkR wrote: »

Car seems to be a lemon. Engine light coming on during a test drive really should have warned you off.

Go back to the dealer, failing that small claims. "Trade Sale" has no affect on sale of goods.

trade sale means business to business
    small claims don't do business to business

the OP states the invoice said "sold as seen", not trade sale.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tigger wrote: »
    trade sale means business to business
    small claims don't do business to business

Doesn't matter in any case as he's a consumer, not a business, so even if they wrote "trade sale" on it, it wouldn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Water in the oil Engine light. Recurring problem. Trade sale. And you think I am talking crap?

I'm no mechanic, I work with computers. I do know that a lot of alarm bells are ringing from the OP's description of what has happened so far. Feel free to disagree, but there's no need to be rude.

Advertisement