Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shady Dealer

Comments

The only issue seems to be a check engine light coming on which the dealer has succeeded in temporarily turning off twice. Seems as you need a car if I was you I'd get the issue diagnosed and go from there.

Is there still signs of condensation in the oil or is it ok now? Any oil or water consumption or any other issues aside from the light being on?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JoeRadd

RoverJames wrote: »
    The only issue seems to be a check engine light coming on which the dealer has succeeded in temporarily turning off twice. Seems as you need a car if I was you I'd get the issue diagnosed and go from there.

Is there still signs of condensation in the oil or is it ok now? Any oil or water consumption or any other issues aside from the light being on?

There is a tiny bit still there, less than originally, although it looks like its coming back

....... so is the mustard type stuff gone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

they are obviously just clearing the fault codes without any repair being carried out.

You were foolish to buy it firstly and even more foolish to even entertain sold as seen being recorded on the invoice.

Could someone explain what Sold as seen means in this situation because as seen at that point was

No check engine light
    No mustard

Thanks for the replies people

• Advertisement

^ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

1.Thread cleaned up.

2.Please don't name and shame garages and accuse them of something.

3.Please don't add tags to the thread also naming these garages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

JoeRadd wrote: »
    Could someone explain what Sold as seen means in this situation because as seen at that point was

No check engine light
    No mustard

Thanks for the replies people

it mean you've accepted it, as it was when you bought it.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    it mean you've accepted it, as it was when you bought it.

Good cos neither problem was present when money was exchanged

heres a pick of the goo just taken for those interested

http://www.imgur.com/YVZ9x.jpg

Good cos neither problem was present when money was exchanged..................

lol, you've missed the point there a bit ;)

• Advertisement

dont see how,

i saw a car, it had goo and the check engine light was on, i said i would buy that car if those problems were not there. so that day i did not buy it

i saw a car two days later (same car) there was no check engine light on and there was no goo in the oil. i purchased this car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

1.Thread cleaned up.

2.Please don't name and shame garages and accuse them of something.

3.Please don't add tags to the thread also naming these garages.
    Fine, lets just say that <snip> seem to have taken the <snip> regarding this issue.

dont see how,

i saw a car, it had goo and the check engine light was on, i said i would buy that car if those problems were not there. so that day i did not buy it

i saw a car two days later (same car) there was no check engine light on and there was no goo in the oil. i purchased this car
    Sold as seen means you are buying it as is,taking all its associated problems, visible or not IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Fine, lets just say that <snip> seem to have taken the <snip> regarding this issue.

Naming and shaming not only could potentially get boards in trouble, put also the poster. Despite an on thread clear-up and warning you felt the need to name a garage again.

People have better things to do than to clean up your rubbish. Banned for 4 days.

mickdw wrote: »
    Sold as seen means you are buying it as is,taking all its associated problems, visible or not IMO.

OK but its a contradiction then because he told me he would repair the problems

Which trumps which?

And he will now say that this is a different issue as the check engine light will come on for any one of 1000 problems.
    Selling it sold as seen would imply that no warranty was given. You should never have bought it 'sold as seen'.
    Whether or not a dealer can legally sell a car to a consumer without a warranty (sold as seen) is another issue.
    There are some people who go into a dealer when buying and act the hard man - bargaining him down and asking what he can sell it for out the door, cash sale, no comeback, thinking they know a thing or two about cars and dont wish to pay for stuff such as warranty. Its hard to blame the dealer in cases like this if he then sells the car 'sold as seen' whether this is allowable or not.
    Did you go to the dealer and agree to zero warranty if the noted issues were repaired?
    If so, its your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MarkR wrote: »
    Water in the oil Engine light. Recurring problem. Trade sale. And you think I am talking crap?

i qouted one part of your post in relation to the oil on cap, in which you stated something that was wrong and i merely corrected you on that.

So yes, you were talking crap.

An engine management could be something simple.

if you're not a mechanic, you deal with computers, what are you doing giving someone advice on a car with mechanical problems?

mickdw wrote: »
    And he will now say that this is a different issue as the check engine light will come on for any one of 1000 problems.
    Selling it sold as seen would imply that no warranty was given. You should never have bought it 'sold as seen'.
    Whether or not a dealer can legally sell a car to a consumer without a warranty (sold as seen) is another issue.
    There are some people who go into a dealer when buying and act the hard man - bargaining him down and asking what he can sell it for out the door, cash sale, no comeback, thinking they know a thing or two about cars and dont wish to pay for stuff such as warranty. Its hard to blame the dealer in cases like this if he then sells the car 'sold as seen' whether this is allowable or not.
    Did you go to the dealer and agree to zero warranty if the noted issues were repaired?
    If so, its your problem.

i was no hardman i paid what they were asking for and a warranty was not discussed.

infact 'sold as seen'' and ''trade sale'' were not mentioned either. i was handed a folded up receipt which i didnt look at untill the next day that had ''sold as seen'' written on it, my signature is nowhere near this piece of paper BTW.

Also shannon still have no record of the change of ownership roughly one month on

All i said was i suspected the mustard was a gasket leak to which i was categorically told it was not and it was simply condensation and they offered to flush and replace the oil.

they also claimed the check engine light was an O2 sensor and they still hold that claim after ''replacing'' it twice.

All i said was i suspected the mustard was a gasket leak to which i was categorically told it was not and it was simply condensation and they offered to flush and replace the oil.

So what makes you think that's not the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Op, if you signed for the car and it stated "trade sale" on the invoice/reciept or any documentation, your on your own.

If you did'nt he must fix it - check what documents you have.

What is a trade sale?

• Advertisement

i was no hardman i paid what they were asking for and a warranty was not discussed.

infact 'sold as seen'' and ''trade sale'' were not mentioned either. i was handed a folded up receipt which i didnt look at untill the next day that had ''sold as seen'' written on it, my signature is nowhere near this piece of paper BTW.

Also shannon still have no record of the change of ownership roughly one month on

they also claimed the check engine light was an O2 sensor and they still hold that claim after ''replacing'' it twice.

In that case, they are absolute chancers writing sold as seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

i qouted one part of your post in relation to the oil on cap, in which you stated something that was wrong and i merely corrected you on that.

So yes, you were talking crap.

While I'd agree that a CEL could be any number of trivial things... a CEL and mayo from the oil usually would mean run a mile though, wouldn't you agree?
    if you're not a mechanic, you deal with computers, what are you doing giving someone advice on a car with mechanical problems?

High horse and all that... lets not belittle people who are trying to help out.
    This is the motors forum, not the mechanics forum. I know plenty of mechanics that know a lot about computers and plenty of IT guys that know a lot about cars...

He's allowed give his opinion, even if you disagree with it. Yes he's trying to give advice and you may think it's ridiculous or wrong, but you don't see people in, for example, the Politics forum saying "Sure what would you know about it... you're not a politician!". It's silly really.

Anyways, back on topic, OP I would just go straight back to the garage in person and confront the guy and ask him what he actually done with the car the last times he's allegedly fixed things and what he thinks is wrong with it.
    If the car is a lemon, then you'd be well within your rights to get reimbursed the money regardless of what terms he's throwing out (like sold as seen or trade sale etc). The only truly 'sold as seen' sales you will encounter are from private sales.

It sounds a lot like he's just cleared the codes and once you've clocked up a few miles, the faults have been kicked up again.
    It also sounds like he's bullsh!tting you from the get go so take everything he says with a pinch of salt. If you get no joy out of him, send him a formal letter explaining that you're willing to go to court to settle this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Am I going to be the first to point out that Saab 95's suffer a sludge issue and once caught on time shouldn't cause any problems.

OP I'd get someone to read the fault codes, it could be something small and nothing to worry about. Any mechanic or garage could do this.

After that a private individual cannot enter into a 'trade' sale regardless of who or what the circumstances. Only a business can do this.

OP contact citizensinformation but here is also a handy link

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_ireland.html

I'm not getting involved in any arguement here but as a private individual you are given protection.

I'd give the garage 7 days notice in writing to solve the issues and quote the sale of goods and services act. List EXACTLY what is wrong.

If they fail to response less than €20 will take you to the small claims court where it is up to them to prove their innocence and not you to prove they are guilty.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Am I going to be the first to point out that Saab 95's suffer a sludge issue and once caught on time shouldn't cause any problems...........................

You are the first John :)

Mayo on the dipstick and an engine management light are not symptoms of the sludge issue :)

You are the first John :)

Mayo on the dipstick and an engine management light are not symptoms of the sludge issue :)
    In that case I'll be the last to suggest it (I've never seen it in the real world)

I really think OP should take the car to someone and have the fault codes read as a first step and also so they can return to teh dealer in question and say they want X and Y fixed rather than saying someone has been putting Colemans Mustard in the engine

I really think OP should take the car to someone and have the fault codes read as a first step and also so they can return to teh dealer in question and say they want X and Y fixed rather than saying someone has been putting Colemans Mustard in the engine

I agree, the OP seems to be more focussed on getting even with the dealer though :)

^ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I agree, the OP seems to be more focussed on getting even with the dealer though :)

Yeah I'd have to agree a little here.

OP needs to first find out if the car is a lemon and go from there.
    If the problem proves to be something resolvable, happy days and lesson learned.
    If the dealer is just flogging some yoke that's in bits, then by all means go nuts with the small claims court etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

When are people going to learn? DONT BUY CARS OFF "USED CAR" DEALERS! They dont have a proper brand dealership for a reason, ie they're dodgy as fcuk.

newmug wrote: »
    When are people going to learn? DONT BUY CARS OFF "USED CAR" DEALERS! They dont have a proper brand dealership for a reason, ie they're dodgy as fcuk.
    Rubbish of the highest order

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Rubbish of the highest order

Suit yourself.

Advertisement