Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shady Dealer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

newmug wrote: »
    When are people going to learn? DONT BUY CARS OFF "USED CAR" DEALERS! They dont have a proper brand dealership for a reason, ie they're dodgy as fcuk.

I'm looking for a new car actually. And I want to avoic these dodgy as fcuk people. Would you have anything for me newmug?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

i qouted one part of your post in relation to the oil on cap, in which you stated something that was wrong and i merely corrected you on that.

So yes, you were talking crap.

An engine management could be something simple.

if you're not a mechanic, you deal with computers, what are you doing giving someone advice on a car with mechanical problems?

I'm sorry, I didn't realise this was a mechanic only forum. I did check the charter, and found no mention of that requirement.

I was not stating anything as a fact, merely offering my opinion. If you don't want other people's opinion, don't read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JoeRadd

RoverJames wrote: »
    I agree, the OP seems to be more focussed on getting even with the dealer though :)

Hey now,

if by even you mean i gave them two chance to fix it where i took time off work and inconvenienced a family member with lifts out and back because i dont live very close or on a public transport route to the place even then yes i am.

I spoke to them today and said if they want to repair it again id be happy for them to collect and return it at their leisure, he retorted with "i dont have access to a tow truck". i knew i was getting nowhere at this point and said well why dont you drive a colleague out who can drive it back and he stated simply he did not have time to do this ever.

When are people going to learn? DONT BUY CARS OFF "USED CAR" DEALERS! They dont have a proper brand dealership for a reason, ie they're dodgy as fcuk.

Dont know what your job is but its gonna be better than mine if you can afford new cars

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I didn't realise this was a mechanic only forum. I did check the charter, and found no mention of that requirement.

I was not stating anything as a fact, merely offering my opinion. If you don't want other people's opinion, don't read them.

To be honest my googlings have come up with everything suggested so far so who knows whos right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have to agree though I don't begrudge anyone the right to make a living but when I was looking around a couple of years ago I really though I had hit rock bottom in terms of the people I had to deal with when I either phoned or called into indie dealers. Complete bluffers and chancers and those are the kindest words I could use.

The sad fact is that there are people out there just asking to be ripped off, that is what keeps these people in business.

If you are buying a car from an indie dealer, you have to understand that it has to be 101% PMO or else you walk. The reason: The dealer has to pay real money to a real mechanic to fix any problems, that's why he will fob you off with excuses if anything goes wrong, he doesn't have access to cost-price parts or a mechanic on his payroll who can look over the car at lunchtime between servicing other cars.

Indie dealers make a profit based on paying rock bottom prices to private sellers desperate to sell quickly for cash and taking junk from dealers (e.g. cars with no service history), then selling the cars on with an imaginary guarantee which they have no intention of fulfilling if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Generalising helps noone.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

A few years ago I went looking at a SAAB '95 that had the exact same issue - and yes - the (so called) dealer swore this would be fixed as its only... (yes you guessed right - condensation!). I questioned him about how exactly do you 'fix' condensation?? Also the 'check engine' light was on as soon as the engine was started - so I decided to play dumb and took the car for a test-drive with the sales guy beside me who never shut up for the entire test. I also noticed the heaters were on so I reached to turn them off and he said "I'm cold - can we leave them on?". He also had the radio cranked to drown out the knocking sound from the engine when the car was stationery. We got back to the garage and he was convinced I was buying it - so off he skipped joyfully to the office and left me in the car, I turned the heaters off and instantly the engine temp went straight into the red. He came rushing out of the office as I was leaving and shouted "Your leaving??!!" and I said - "Yep! Find yourself another fool!!". I heard countless similar story's about the place and laughed when I recently saw the 'Under new management' sign - meaning that sales guy is now the manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

coylemj wrote: »
    Have to agree though I don't begrudge anyone the right to make a living but when I was looking around a couple of years ago I really though I had hit rock bottom in terms of the people I had to deal with when I either phoned or called into indie dealers. Complete bluffers and chancers and those are the kindest words I could use.

The sad fact is that there are people out there just asking to be ripped off, that is what keeps these people in business.

If you are buying a car from an indie dealer, you have to understand that it has to be 101% PMO or else you walk. The reason: The dealer has to pay real money to a real mechanic to fix any problems, that's why he will fob you off with excuses if anything goes wrong, he doesn't have access to cost-price parts or a mechanic on his payroll who can look over the car at lunchtime between servicing other cars.

Indie dealers make a profit based on paying rock bottom prices to private sellers desperate to sell quickly for cash and taking junk from dealers (e.g. cars with no service history), then selling the cars on with an imaginary guarantee which they have no intention of fulfilling if anything goes wrong.

+1

gerarda wrote: »
    A few years ago I went looking at a SAAB '95 that had the exact same issue - and yes - the (so called) dealer swore this would be fixed as its only... (yes you guessed right - condensation!). I questioned him about how exactly do you 'fix' condensation?? Also the 'check engine' light was on as soon as the engine was started - so I decided to play dumb and took the car for a test-drive with the sales guy beside me who never shut up for the entire test. I also noticed the heaters were on so I reached to turn them off and he said "I'm cold - can we leave them on?". He also had the radio cranked to drown out the knocking sound from the engine when the car was stationery. We got back to the garage and he was convinced I was buying it - so off he skipped joyfully to the office and left me in the car, I turned the heaters off and instantly the engine temp went straight into the red. He came rushing out of the office as I was leaving and shouted "Your leaving??!!" and I said - "Yep! Find yourself another fool!!". I heard countless similar story's about the place and laughed when I recently saw the 'Under new management' sign - meaning that sales guy is now the manager!

I wish the same thing happened to me but i took the car for a test drive alone with the heaters off and have been driving it despite the engine light and it all seems in order, no knocking and the temp sits right in the middle once warmed up.

just having the engine light on and a dealer who "knows" whats wrong with it is what gets to me, its on for a reason and the longer i drive with it on the more whatever is wrong will probably be damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Vertakill wrote: »
    While I'd agree that a CEL could be any number of trivial things... a CEL and mayo from the oil usually would mean run a mile though, wouldn't you agree?

No, i wouldn't agree, because i know, rather than guess.
    High horse and all that... lets not belittle people who are trying to help out.
    This is the motors forum, not the mechanics forum. I know plenty of mechanics that know a lot about computers and plenty of IT guys that know a lot about cars...

He's allowed give his opinion, even if you disagree with it. Yes he's trying to give advice and you may think it's ridiculous or wrong, but you don't see people in, for example, the Politics forum saying "Sure what would you know about it... you're not a politician!". It's silly really.

But politics is a matter of opinion, people can have different ideas (i know absolutely nothing about politics by the way) this is fact or not. it's not a maybe the headgasket is gone, there are so many other things to check.

i post in motors because i spend and work my life around them, i wouldn't ever give someone advice on a computer as i haven't a clue about them.

Also, i wasn't giving out, i was merely informing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I'll have an apology please :eek::eek::eek:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

JoeRadd wrote: »
    I wish the same thing happened to me but i took the car for a test drive alone with the heaters off and have been driving it despite the engine light and it all seems in order, no knocking and the temp sits right in the middle once warmed up.

just having the engine light on and a dealer who "knows" whats wrong with it is what gets to me, its on for a reason and the longer i drive with it on the more whatever is wrong will probably be damaged.

You have already been given good advice on how to proceed. First you need to find out what is actually wrong with the car, the Check Engine light can be illuminated for any number of reasons, without knowing what is wrong with it yourself and what it means you are going to get nowhere. At this point with you repeatedly complaining about the check engine light I would expect a really dodgy dealer to just get the light disconnected and give the car back to you none the wiser.

Go to a mechanic (not connected to the dealer) and get them to read the engine management computer to see what is amiss. Then at least you will know what the problem is and can go from there. This is a simple process which won't take long; connecting a diagnostic computer to the car and downloading the data and a decent indipendent mechanic shouldn't charge too much to do it. I am sure you can get the name of some trustworthy mechanics in your area from boardsies if necessary.

As for the water/oil mix residue, an expert eye giving the car the once over to determine if the cause of this is a defect or not would be a good idea also, nobody on here can give you a diagnosis from pics or condiment descriptions.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'll have an apology please :eek::eek::eek:

:p

I am very sorry that you are a used car dealer. ;)

Main dealers give private sellers rock bottom prices too, many dealers won't retail cars over a certain age, doesn't mean the cars are junk. Main dealers sell plenty of cars without service histories :)

Many indie dealers are quite reputable and value their reputation and have no problem whatsoever honouring a warranty :)

There are good and bad in all professions, the dodgy 2nd hand car salesman isn't as common as many posters on boards.ie would have you believe.

I E-mailed the Man last night with some of the info mentioned here, i mentioned i knew i had rights in the situation and that i would like, A Repair, A Refund or reimbursement for repair i arranged.

The Cheeky bugger just emailed back "Goodbye"

I E-mailed the Man last night with some of the info mentioned here, i mentioned i knew i had rights in the situation and that i would like, A Repair, A Refund or reimbursement for repair i arranged.

The Cheeky bugger just email back "Goodbye"

@ least you got a reply.:p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Small Claims Court then, explain the whole situation in writing to them and take it from there. Include that email correspondence in the documentation. I would do as others suggested and bring the car to a competent mechanic, get the problems diagnosed and a cost to fix. Claim this cost from the garage you bought the car from.

PauloMN wrote: »

Small Claims Court then, explain the whole situation in writing to them and take it from there. Include that email correspondence in the documentation. I would do as others suggested and bring the car to a competent mechanic, get the problems diagnosed and a cost to fix. Claim this cost from the garage you bought the car from.

Thanks, that's now the plan. The guy wouldn't even give me his surname. Got it from the helpful CRO though.

So avoid dealerships in the Naas Rd area owned by Brian's who don't list their full name on anything

Cheers

tbh, you're at nothing, even if you get a judgement against him, you'll find it neigh impossible to get what you want even then....and ye man knows it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks, that's now the plan. The guy wouldn't even give me his surname. Got it from the helpful CRO though.

So avoid dealerships in the Naas Rd area owned by Brian's who don't list their full name on anything

Cheers

There seems to be a disproportional number of dodgy dealers around that area, I had dealings with a few around there when looking for cars at different stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

PauloMN wrote: »
    There seems to be a disproportional number of dodgy dealers around that area, I had dealings with a few around there when looking for cars at different stages.

I have been working in this area for the last 10 years or so and the amount of times you see names being changed on the signs over the portakabins in these car lots is nuts .. and amazingly the stock stays the same and the heads moving the cars out in the morning and back in the evening are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

tbh, you're at nothing, even if you get a judgement against him, you'll find it neigh impossible to get what you want even then....and ye man knows it.

The OP goes to the small claims court and gets a judgement against him and if he doesnt pay then its not the end of the world as then you can get the sheriff to call and collect the money :D

But my preference would be to lodge the judgement with cro and them woo hoo bye bye business :P

ants09 wrote: »
    The OP goes to the small claims court and gets a judgement against him and if he doesnt pay then its not the end of the world as then you can get the sheriff to call and collect the money :D

But my preference would be to lodge the judgement with cro and them woo hoo bye bye business :P

the sheriff?? lol ...........that's my point, yer mans probably knows the sheriff by first name at this stage of his car sales career........don't be fooled into thinking it'll all be a formality.........far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

surely if sold as seen was written on receipt and the buyer did not mention warranty,( he has admitted that here,) he has a very poor case ,i know the dealer is not covered in glory either, he only cancelled the engine light warning rather than fixing the cause but, as i said i think op has weak case

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Don't crack open the champagne just yet. Read the post just before yours (from whippet), he will go bust and open under a new name the next day. Any judgement will be unenforcable. That's why these people operate from portakabins, even the office they operate from is portable so they can up sticks and disappear off the face of the earth or open under a new name.

the sheriff?? lol ...........that's my point, yer mans probably knows the sheriff by first name at this stage of his car sales career........don't be fooled into thinking it'll all be a formality.........far from it.

So he should just do nothing? :confused:

@OP - did you do a mileage check on that car? Quite possible it's clocked, especially if from the UK. You should of course do all the checks before you pay a cent, but if you haven't done so already, it would be worth checking.

Well if the sheriff can collect the debt then as i said lodge the judgement with the cro and them put him out off business
    Don't crack open the champagne just yet. Read the post just before yours (from whippet), he will go bust and open under a new name the next day. Any judgement will be unenforcable.

If he goes out of business then your a secured creditor and if there is no funds available and he opens up another car dealership then you lift the vail of incorporation of the company and then the debt is enforceable
    ;)

Well if the sheriff can collect the debt then as i said lodge the judgement with the cro and them put him out off business
    Don't crack open the champagne just yet. Read the post just before yours (from whippet), he will go bust and open under a new name the next day. Any judgement will be unenforcable.

If he goes out of business then your a secured creditor and if there is no funds available and he opens up another car dealership then you lift the vail of incorporation of the company and then the debt is enforceable
    ;)

He's a sole trader it transpires which I think means he would be personally liable for any judgments, would this be the case

He's a sole trader it transpires which I think means he would be personally liable for any judgments, would this be the case

even better JoeRadd that he's a sole trader as then he's liable for all debts

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    surely if sold as seen was written on receipt and the buyer did not mention warranty,( he has admitted that here,) he has a very poor case ,i know the dealer is not covered in glory either, he only cancelled the engine light warning rather than fixing the cause but, as i said i think op has weak case

Why has the op a weak case ' does sold as seen ' by a car dealer overule legislation erm i think not :D

Advertisement