Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shady Dealer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JoeRadd

Sorry not yet, i think it needs a PCV upgrade which ive priced with the local dealer at 250-300, it was 90 euro to get the car scanned so i spent 1/5 of that on an OBD2 tool which im just waiting to arrive.

Everything ive read points to either a no return valve being broken or 02/maf sensor.

The mustards seems to be caused by cheap oil being heated in the sump by the exhaust pipe, PCV and fully syth oil should fix that.

ill keep this going when i have some more info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭goochy

i bought a 2001 saab 95 1 yr ago from used dealer in Dublin with NO WARRANTY - got mechanic to check it out but engine light came on , on way home ! check to see if any hoses around engine are loosed/ come off - if so reconnect - disconnect battery for about 10 mins and light should come off. it has happened to me many times ! however i ended up having to get CRANKSHAFT SENSOR replaced also later - about €130.00 - a known problem - when engine light on !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

goochy wrote: »
    i bought a 2001 saab 95 1 yr ago from used dealer in Dublin with NO WARRANTY - got mechanic to check it out but engine light came on , on way home ! check to see if any hoses around engine are loosed/ come off - if so reconnect - disconnect battery for about 10 mins and light should come off. it has happened to me many times ! however i ended up having to get CRANKSHAFT SENSOR replaced also later - about €130.00 - a known problem - when engine light on !

Coolio - they should just really change all engine management lights to crankshaft sensor lights and we would all be brand new!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Well Joeradd, how did it pan out for you in the end?

Hi, not yet, I've been on foot for the last week, I'm forking out for a Mechanic this weekend and I'm going to reclaim this through the small claims court.

I'll pay an update once the Mechanic updates me on it

• Advertisement

Quick update,

The Mechanic has pulled the sump off given the engine a good look over, He told me its one of the worst hes seen, Theres a ton of crap clogging the strainer, the big end has scoring the crankshaft is on the way out and the turbo aswell.

All in all a very bad prognosis especially seeing as the original ad text said this

****GARAGE TRADE INS TO CLEAR****

*01 SAAB 95

*4 DOOR

*ALLOYS

*FULL LEATHER

*ONLY 90K MILES

*DRIVES PERFECT

*IN GREAT CONDITION FOR THE YEAR

*NCT 01 - 13!!!!!!

*YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER CAR WITH THIS SPEC FOR THE MONEY.....

Ill keep yous updated with any progress as im calling the confirmed shady dealer tomorrow

.... any news on what's bringing the check engine light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

JoeRadd wrote: »
    Quick update,

The Mechanic has pulled the sump off given the engine a good look over, He told me its one of the worst hes seen, Theres a ton of crap clogging the strainer, the big end has scoring the crankshaft is on the way out and the turbo aswell.

That's very common on them, a little bit of research wouldn't of went astray!

a fault in the coilpack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Common issue as I pointed out earlier. Keep the pressure on OP

• Advertisement

Well the faulty coilpack isn't too bad a fix, can't see him coughing up for that or anything else though. Also I can't see the small claims court route being successful for the engine stuff, it could keep going for a few thousand miles before crapping itself. It hasn't actually failed yet, dropping the sump on them is more or less to be budgeted for when buying.

Sure, ill buy dropping the sump maybe should be budgeted (i didnt) but replacing the big end bearing, crankshft and turbo on a *YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER CAR WITH THIS SPEC FOR THE MONEY..... car shouldn't be

With the sludge removed and the strainer and pick up cleaned up and it all slapped back together it will still work, the turbo hasn't failed yet. Not a great scenario admittedly. Was there any knocking sounds from it at all?

yes there is knocking aswell, its truly fecked i think

he is going to e-mail me some pictures tomorrow of the sump and what not, would you like me to upload them?

Oh bummer, if it's knocking 'tis bad alright, might well have a case so as it's only 5/6 weeks after purchase. It's probably beyond economical repair ish though depending on what you paid for it, did the garage give you a price to sort it?

yes there is knocking aswell, its truly fecked i think

he is going to e-mail me some pictures tomorrow of the sump and what not, would you like me to upload them?

Save you the hassle :)

40510_10150234563960176_805400175_14087379_6502658_n.jpg

RoverJames wrote: »
    Oh bummer, if it's knocking 'tis bad alright, might well have a case so as it's only 5/6 weeks after purchase. It's probably beyond economical repair ish though depending on what you paid for it, did the garage give you a price to sort it?

More than its worth honestly, im going to call them tomorrow, and ask them to refund for the car and mechanic and forget about it or small claims court really.

i bout the car on the 21/12/11 and called them with issues on the 22/12/12 and was told it was an oxygen sensor and to wait for them to call me in the new year. i heard nothing so called them and got buckets full of their laissez-faire attitude a repair to an oxygen sensor "apparently" which made the check engine light turn off until i had driven for about 15 minutes, i think they gave proven how underhnded they are,

Save you the hassle :)

40510_10150234563960176_805400175_14087379_6502658_n.jpg

looks like you have a nice camera on your hands their limerick man

looks like you have a nice camera on your hands their limerick man

Canon 450d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

dharn wrote: »
    surely if sold as seen was written on receipt and the buyer did not mention warranty,( he has admitted that here,) he has a very poor case ,i know the dealer is not covered in glory either, he only cancelled the engine light warning rather than fixing the cause but, as i said i think op has weak case
    i agree. the sale of goods act refers to what was said about the product, how it was described etc if they have sold as seen on the invoice the OP will not get very far saying he didn not see that till next day

For example if you but a suite of furniture and it is sold as new you have rights but if it is sold as damaged you have no comeback once you were told. That is similar to sold as seen. The argument seems to be whether the op was told it was sold as seen and with an invoice that says sold as seen I would not hold my breath

That does not mean the garage is not crooked and it does not mean the op is wrong to be upset

Best place for advice free is 1890 432432

EDIT http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?p=133&n=177&a=349
    It is an offence for the dealer to provide misleading info. Might be worth looking at that angle. Call 1890 432432 and ask their advice

EDIT2Reading about other issue you had maybe the car was not roadworthy which would also be an offence to sell

• Advertisement

1/5 of that on an OBD2 tool which im just waiting to arrive.
    where did you buy the OBD2? Link?

where did you buy the OBD2? Link?

I got one on ebay, it arrived after i the mechanic picked up my car so i havent had a chance to test it yet, it links up via blutooth with an app on my android phone call torque, looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 23 zeteckiller

by the looks and sounds of it, the cheapest way to fix the car would be to source a secondhand engine instead of trying to save the current one.

my cousin is in a similar situation at the moment, and so far he is looking at a 2 grand bill for repairs and a trip to court.

the ''trade sale'' and ''sold as seen'' on the invoice could be shot down if you didn't know what these terms meant and the dealer didn't explain them to you. judging by your first few posts this seems to be the case and you can use this thread to prove the fact.

plus these terms are compete bull$h1t see here
    http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Sold-as-seen-as-is-no-returns?ugid=10000000002394120

i know its from english ebay but its all the same.

Don't buy a second hand engine, they're all the same. Rebuild the engine or scrap the car.

the ''trade sale'' and ''sold as seen'' on the invoice could be shot down if you didn't know what these terms meant and the dealer didn't explain them to you. judging by your first few posts this seems to be the case and you can use this thread to prove the fact.

plus these terms are compete bull$h1t see here
    http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Sold-as-seen-as-is-no-returns?ugid=10000000002394120

i know its from english ebay but its all the same.
    i would not be so confident. the ssle of goods act takes into account what was said about the product example sold as seen. I don't think you can use an internet thread to prove anything

i would not be so confident. the ssle of goods act takes into account what was said about the product example sold as seen. I don't think you can use an internet thread to prove anything

don't forget it is a criminal offence to sell a car that is not roadworthy, which this car is not and the buyer's mechanic can prove this having inspected the car. a valid nct doesn't mean that the car is roadworthy.

i don't know if an internet thread holds any weight in court but surely its worth exploring every avenue.

as regards a secondhand engine, this would be the cheapest way, not the best way. the best way would be to fully rebuild the engine.
    i should have specified this before.

......... how was it not roadworthy?

don't forget it is a criminal offence to tell a car that is not roadworthy, which this car is not and the buyer's mechanic can prove this having inspected the car. a valid nct doesn't mean that the car is roadworthy.

i don't know if an internet thread holds any weight in court but surely its worth exploring every avenue.

as regards a secondhand engine, this would be the cheapest way, not the best way. the best way would be to fully rebuild the engine.

Your post is a criminal offence!

RoverJames wrote: »
    ......... how was it not roadworthy?

it wouldn't have passed the nct emissions test judging by the state of the engine, plus the engine management light came on which is also a failure point.

p.s. limerick man, please don't attack me for having an opinion.

• Advertisement

don't forget it is a criminal offence to sell a car that is not roadworthy, which this car is not and the buyer's mechanic can prove this having inspected the car. a valid nct doesn't mean that the car is roadworthy.

I think i said that

If sn internet thread had weight in court everyone prosecuted would be posting saying they did no know the red light meant stop

Advertisement