Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho vs Real Madrid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Corholio wrote: »
    If you were a Barcelona fan you would be, and to an extent a football fan because Barcelona have been sensational at times. But not as an 'era of football', a lot of the other teams are weaker than other recent eras in my opinion. United, Arsenal, Milan, Juventus, Inter etc have all seen better teams in recent memory IMO.

Sorry by era I mean these games between Madrid and Barca, not the state of world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Only a couple of days ago I was defending Mourinho against people saying he should be fired, but to be honest his behaviour after Wednesday's game is just a step too far.

Waiting by the referee's car and telling him 'do you like to **** over professionals? Now you're going to go and smoke a cigar and laugh, you have no shame.' This is pathetic. The referee didn't have a great game, but his decisions by no means favoured one side over the other.

Then I see today that Mourinho's official spokesman on Twitter has said about Dani Alves: 'How different he is since he arrived in Spain. He's had his ears operated on to make them smaller. He wears glasses to look like an intellectual... but a donkey with small ears and glasses will never be a doctor, he will always just be a donkey.'

If a fan came out with that I guess some people might find it funny, for someone in an official capacity to do it is disgraceful.

And I fcking hate Dani Alves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Mourinho represents everything that is wrong with the modern game. I pray he never returns to the premier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Yeah, and people painting Barca as a 'classy different club', when they regularly cheat on the pitch, or incidents like turning on the water sprinklers on the Inter players after they were outclassed in that semi final. Their actions when courting other teams players are hardly honourable either. I suppose it's not just the club and fans, but also the media who seem afraid to criticise them

Definitely agree there. The whole "more than a club" thing is a marketing ploy. To add to the list, what about having "Unicef" (another marketing play - gateway to advertise on their jerseys) on their shirts while going off to Uzbekistan to play for dictator Islam Karimovs team if the money's right. Barca players regularly go over there to promote his team.
    But they have "too much class" for Mourinho!

Probably the best club side of all time, but they're far from perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Definitely agree there. The whole "more than a club" thing is a marketing ploy. To add to the list, what about having "Unicef" (another marketing play - gateway to advertise on their jerseys) on their shirts while going off to Uzbekistan to play for dictator Islam Karimovs team if the money's right. Barca players regularly go over there to promote his team.
    But they have "too much class" for Mourinho!

Probably the best club side of all time, but they're far from perfect.

Every club is far from perfect. Perfection is unattainable. Lets put it like this, is there any other club that gives as much time and money to charity than Barcelona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Warper wrote: »
    is there any other club that gives as much time and money to charity than Barcelona?

Yes, but they don't publicise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Warper wrote: »
    Every club is far from perfect. Perfection is unattainable. Lets put it like this, is there any other club that gives as much time and money to charity than Barcelona?

how much of their dodgy Qatar money is going to charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The whole "more than a club" thing is a marketing ploy.

The "mes que un club" statement must be understood in a historical context. FC Barcelona was a refuge for Catalan identity, language and culture during 40 years of fascist dictatorship. To call it a mere marketing ploy is the ignore what the club means/meant to Catalans during years of oppression.

Speak to any Catalan and they will tell you this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

#15 wrote: »
    Yes, but they don't publicise it.

Wait, is publicised charity work not as good as unpublicised charity work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

dfx- wrote: »
    Publicised means you want the credit for it. Unpublicised means you just want to help.

It's not hard to see why one looks better on the outside than the other, even though they are both great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

dfx- wrote: »

How is that question relevant to the assertion that other clubs do as much charity work as FCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

The whole "more than a club" thing is a marketing ploy.

Wow.

It's scary how stupid people can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

The "mes que un club" statement must be understood in a historical context. FC Barcelona was a refuge for Catalan identity, language and culture during 40 years of fascist dictatorship. To call it a mere marketing ploy is the ignore what the club means/meant to Catalans during years of oppression.

This x10000000000000000000

Any one that bashes the clubs motto, and calls in snobbery, or a marketing ploy needs to shut up before the further embarrass themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

*news flash*

General Franco has been dead since 1975

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

According to Duncan Castles, Jose Mourinho has decided to quit Real at the end of the season and return to the Premiership.

I'll post the link when it comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

According to Duncan Castles, Jose Mourinho has decided to quit Real at the end of the season and return to the Premiership.

I'll post the link when it comes up.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

opr wrote: »

I said it in the United thread already, but I'd be amazed if City sacked Mancini even if he didn't win the league this season. He has made very good progress with City, it would be crazy to rip up the Mancini project and get a new manager in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

lol there is no way he would of said that. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement

If he does leave, I doubt there will be many of the "big" jobs available in the summer. Maybe Spurs if Redknapp goes for the England job but thats probably it. United, City, Liverpool and Arsenal are all unlikely to be looking for a new manager which leaves very few options. Chelsea are a slim possibility since Roman isnt know for patience, but I doubt he'd go back with the way he left.

Highly unlikely, but if he REALLY wants to return to England, maybe QPR? They have the money for him to spend but wouldnt really be challenging for much. It would be a very big step down for him too. If he leaves, I reckon he'll wait a year and see how things look. If their is still no sign of a job opening up he would probably be tempted to look elsewhere, maybe Germany for a year or two.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If he does leave, I doubt there will be many of the "big" jobs available in the summer. Maybe Spurs if Redknapp goes for the England job but thats probably it. United, City, Liverpool and Arsenal are all unlikely to be looking for a new manager which leaves very few options. Chelsea are a slim possibility since Roman isnt know for patience, but I doubt he'd go back with the way he left.

Highly unlikely, but if he REALLY wants to return to England, maybe QPR? They have the money for him to spend but wouldnt really be challenging for much. It would be a very big step down for him too. If he leaves, I reckon he'll wait a year and see how things look. If their is still no sign of a job opening up he would probably be tempted to look elsewhere, maybe Germany for a year or two.

He'd walk into nearly any top job in England bar utd and possibly Arsenal atm. He's a top top manager.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He'd walk into nearly any top job in England bar utd and possibly Arsenal atm. He's a top top manager.
    You think Liverpool, City etc will just sack their current manager regardless? He'd walk into any of them no problem, if they were available. I think only the Spurs job has a chance of being available, slim chance of Chelsea. Saying that, I dont think he would take either job but for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mourinho will be the next united manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If mouriniho does leave Madrid I can see rafa benitez taking the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

if he goes it will be to utd.. ive a feeling this is fergies last year,he's just not saying so after what happend the last time he said he was leavin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Did he actually say the PL ?

If so then he must be lined up for one of the top5 .

Who could that be ?

My guess (in order) would be ;
    UTD.
    Spurs.
    LFC.
    Arsenal.

Or would City put Manchini out ? Probably .

unless spurs get taken over he will never be there imo... mega bucks or mega prestige is mourinho's m.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I think London will be a factor in his decision. I dont think Spurs have enough cash to spend on transfers to tempt Mouriniho .. maybe in a few years when the stadium is built. Can anyone see a return to Chelsea or taking over from Wegner? I think Fergie will be around for a few years yet .. I dont think he would know what to do with himself if he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

11 More Goals Scored than Barca, 7 points ahead of one of the greatest teams ever, and yet this man is 'under pressure'! No suprise though just look what Perez did to Del Bosque after he won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

barone wrote: »
    unless spurs get taken over he will never be there imo... mega bucks or mega prestige is mourinho's m.o

yeah like the mega bucks he spent with Porto...

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

Look at his career since then. He was a nobody at Porto so couldn't really demand money. He's one of the top managers in the world now so can do things whatever way he wants which usually involves spending a fair bit of money to get what he needs quickly.

Liam O wrote: »

as said above... think before typing

1st club stepping stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

JM isnt going anywhere, hes most likely orchestrated all this as a distraction, some d1ckhead in the squad leaked some info and rather than having that as the centre of attention all this talk of him leaving starts sufacing, he was great at doing that at chealsea also, any time a bad result occured he came out with some audacious comment which was the centre of atention for a week or two and nobody gave a sh1t that chealsea lost,

he went to madrid who often have a Director of Football buying players for the Coach to manage, but as soon as JM arrived he managed to the get the DOF role reduced and he was put in full control of all aspects involving first team affairs at madrid, one reason he left chealsea was cause abramovich was interfering with his maganing the team, its also a reason hed probably love the UTD job,
    he needs to be in control, and it looks like its really paying off for madrid, much to my dissatisfaction :o

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Mourinho will stay.

He's using this to strengthen his position and it's the perfect time to say it. He pretty much has the league in the bag. Once R. Madrid win it, they'll beg him to stay. He will, but on his terms. He's just doing this to wrangle more control over the club. If I'm right, then it's a clever move

He'll stay until his contract is up in 2014, then maybe go to United. Ferguson will stay on for three years minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

parc wrote: »
    Mourinho will stay.

He's using this to strengthen his position and it's the perfect time to say it. He pretty much has the league in the bag. Once R. Madrid win it, they'll beg him to stay. He will, but on his terms. He's just doing this to wrangle more control over the club. If I'm right, then it's a clever move

He'll stay until his contract is up in 2014, then maybe go to United. Ferguson will stay on for three years minimum

Hmmmm...This is Real Madrid your talking about. The same club who sacked del bosque the day after he won the league. No way they would ever beg anybody to stay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Hmmmm...This is Real Madrid your talking about. The same club who sacked del bosque the day after he won the league. No way they would ever beg anybody to stay!
    yeah but there not in a period of dominacne, where any old fool could manage the team, they have a hugh rival in barcelona now, and that wont be going anywhere for probably another 5+ years, so there gonna need a top manager to keep the team motivated, theres not many better than JM out there at the moment,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Capello was also ditched.

The one thing in Mourinho's favour is that Perez has invested so much in Mourinho that he might not be as willing to let him go. However if they win the league, it might enough to save face for both and part ways. I suppose too if Guardiola leaves, Madrid could capitalise on the new manager bedding in by keeping Mourinho.

Could be two different managers at the helm of the two clubs next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah but there not in a period of dominacne, where any old fool could manage the team, they have a hugh rival in barcelona now, and that wont be going anywhere for probably another 5+ years, so there gonna need a top manager to keep the team motivated, theres not many better than JM out there at the moment,

Del Bosque was sacked after winning the Champions League. He was let go because they didn't win the league. There was plenty of competition at the time.

Capello won their first title in a few seasons and was promptly dismissed because the football wasn't up to scratch.

Stuff like the above, as bat**** insane as it is, is what makes Real Madrid the greatest club in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

How much has mourinhio spent ar Real? I was under the impression that he's only added a few players ozil,carvalio and another couple. But he hasn't paid big money for anyone he has a good team there already.

I wonder actually have Barca spent more then real since he came? Because they tend to bring so many through the ranks they buy big like Ibrahimovic, villa and Fabergas

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Del Bosque was sacked after winning the Champions League. He was let go because they didn't win the league. There was plenty of competition at the time.

Capello won their first title in a few seasons and was promptly dismissed because the football wasn't up to scratch.

Stuff like the above, as bat**** insane as it is, is what makes Real Madrid the greatest club in the world.

Sorry was it the CL, my memory is a bit hazy now at this stage!
    Haha ya really gotta love the craziness of that club!! Funny enough it was perez as president last time who sacked del bosque, so he could easily turn around at the end of this season and sack mourinho..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

How much has mourinhio spent ar Real? I was under the impression that he's only added a few players ozil,carvalio and another couple. But he hasn't paid big money for anyone he has a good team there already.

I wonder actually have Barca spent more then real since he came? Because they tend to bring so many through the ranks they buy big like Ibrahimovic, villa and Fabergas
    He bought Di Maria, Sahin, Alonso, Coentrao, Ozil and Carvalho afaik. In that same period I think Barca have only bought Villa, Alexis and Cesc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

THFC wrote: »
    He bought Di Maria, Sahin, Alonso, Coentrao, Ozil and Carvalho afaik. In that same period I think Barca have only bought Villa, Alexis and Cesc.

Alonso was there a year before him. Barca also bought Masch in that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sorry was it the CL, my memory is a bit hazy now at this stage!

No you're right, it was the league Del Bosque won and then got sacked.

Pipped Real Sociedad on the final day iirc but got knocked out of the CL by Juventus and he was ultimately sacked for that.

Capello was sacked twice by Real, both times he had won the league. Outrageous, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The Below is on Sky Sports today.
    Also within the post there is a small interview with Guillem Balague who reckons he will leave too.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/7463066/Jose-in-Prem-return-link
    Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho is ready to leave the club at the end of the season in favour of a return to the Premier League, according to reports.

Mourinho currently has Real seven points clear of reigning champions Barcelona in La Liga, but his future at the Santiago Bernabeu remains uncertain.

The former Chelsea manager has previously spoken of returning to manage in England and is understood to no longer be feeling the same enjoyment of coaching Real, who he joined in 2010 after a successful spell at Inter Milan.
    Reports claim the Portuguese is unhappy with the pace of change at the club, the Spanish media and there are concerns not all of the players support his philosophy.

The 49-year-old, meanwhile, has not managed to break Barcelona's dominance in matches between the two rivals while he has attracted negative headlines for a number of unsavoury episodes

Last weekend he was booed and whistled by some Real fans responding to others chanting his name although he professed to be unconcerned.

Will Mourinho return to Premier League?
    Last month Real president Florentino Perez insisted Mourinho was the man to usurp Barca, saying: "Signing Jose Mourinho has been my best decision as president of Real Madrid."

However, reports are claiming he will choose to leave Real and return England once the current season is over.

Mourinho spent a little over three years at Chelsea from June 2004, twice winning the league and League Cup as well as the FA Cup before his sudden exit in September 2007.

He has been linked with a return to Stamford Bridge, while he has also been mooted as a contender for the Tottenham Hotspur job if Harry Redknapp leaves to take charge of England after Euro 2012.

Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United have also been floated as possible destinations for Mourinho, if he decides to leave Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The Below is on Sky Sports today.
    Also within the post there is a small interview with Guillem Balague who reckons he will leave too.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/7463066/Jose-in-Prem-return-link

I reckon that makes it less likely he will leave so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I reckon that makes it less likely he will leave so.

He'll just keep saying it, and when Mourinho finally leaves, well, he called it!

David Villa was a cert to leave Valencia every transfer window for about 2 years before he went!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

DuncanCastles: Will have further news on Jose Mourinho's future in @ST_Sport and @SprtNationalUAE later tonight. #rmcf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

eugeneious wrote: »
    DuncanCastles: Will have further news on Jose Mourinho's future in @ST_Sport and @SprtNationalUAE later tonight. #rmcf
    Further news was just that Levy has sounded him out about the Spurs job in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Further news was just that Levy has sounded him out about the Spurs job in the summer.

Not happening, not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Blatter wrote: »
    No you're right, it was the league Del Bosque won and then got sacked.

Pipped Real Sociedad on the final day iirc but got knocked out of the CL by Juventus and he was ultimately sacked for that.

Capello was sacked twice by Real, both times he had won the league. Outrageous, but there you go.

I think Capello walked from Madrid the first time.

Didn't get sacked because they played very good football under him with an attacking trident of Raul, Suker and Mijatovic.

And here's a wild card choice....what about a return to Inter?

Advertisement