Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Blocks Insulation

• 24-01-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Hi

Following on from a previous thread

Our house has cavity blocks

Can these be insulated successfully using foam or beads etc?

Thanks

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Short answer ........ NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Nope....

Either externally using something like this

Or on the inside of the external walls using something like these....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

alproctor wrote: »

Or on the inside of the external walls using something like these....
    theres a little more to it than the above where you have single external block leaf. what happens when moisture hits the cold block wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

Short answer ........ NO
    I think this is based on cost effectiveness ??
    but:
    Is there any point in putting a layer on top of the cavity to prevent air movement out of the cavity. My gut says it should reduce heat loss, but does anybody have any real experience of this. (-I'm replacing soffits shortly, so should be easily done)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

whizbang wrote: »
    I think this is based on cost effectiveness ??
    but:
    Is there any point in putting a layer on top of the cavity to prevent air movement out of the cavity. My gut says it should reduce heat loss, but does anybody have any real experience of this. (-I'm replacing soffits shortly, so should be easily done)
    no this is based on common sense!! cavity (breeze) blocks have a thermal concrete bridge for a large % of each block, what's the point of filling an air gap with an insulation that's not covering the entire wall? its only increasing the likely hood of surface condensation!! as regards blocking the movement of air, yes it may increase the thermal performance of the blocks but without assessing the condition of the wall and DPC the reduction in air-movement may reduce moisture evaporation. for the science see http://www.josephlittlearchitects.com/documents/hollow%20block%20wall%20assessment_BLC_260609.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

Thanks Bryan,
    i had read that briefly before, it seems to take no account of air movement vertically thro the cavity. It seems to assume the cavity is closed at the top.

With the winds we have been having lately, i'm noticing little puffs and whistles from strange places in the house, mainly skirting boards. I have checked outside and, as much as possible, sealed off any air holes into the cavity.
    so i know i'm still loosing heat by air movement rather than just conductivity.

Advertisement