Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it common to trim a kitten/cats claws?

• 24-01-2012 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All :-)

My kitten bites and scratches a lot, which is fine as it is her nature and she will calm down as she gets older. I've seen on a few websites that people trim their pets claws, is that common in ireland?? i've never known any of my cat owning friends to do it.

thanks xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

No:eek:
    You'd get shredded attempting to do it, which kind of defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I think this is more an american thing to do. Its supposed to take the sharp edge off the cats nails so his scratch wont do as much damage.

I have 4 cats (and 3 dogs:)) and aside from the fact I think its totally unnecessary and wouldnt dream of doing it -I dont have a clue how anyone could manage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

I had 2 indoor cats and used to trim their claws with a special trimmer. Because they were indoor cats, they didn't get to wear their claws down from being outside climbing etc and their claws would get quite sharp otherwise.

Oh, and they didn't have a problem with me doing it - maybe cause I did it from the time they were kittens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I used to trim my cats claws when they were kittens and still fully indoor. They are both nervous cats in general but didn't mind me cutting their nails at all.

I just waited untill they were relaxed and half asleep and had no bother doing it at all.

Now that they are indoor/outdoor cats it isn't really necessary anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭luosymnisiAZIBI

thanks for all the replies xx :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Oops, forgot to mention the most important part - don't cut too far up cause there is a vein there that would be very painful if it was cut by accident. Just cut close to the tip and it'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yep it is possible to trim your cats claws, but more difficult as they dont tolerate it as well as a dog does. Ive recently trimmed my friends Ragdoll cat which was easy as they're so laid back.

If the cat is indoors you can provide them with scratching posts and blocks which will keep them occupied and is a better alternative. Cats can get declawed in the US but not here (wouldnt go that route anyway :eek:).

You can also get covers called Softpaws for their nails which ive heard work quite well see here and the cat pretty much gets used to them very quickly.

To be honest, scratched furniture/carpets is par for the course with owning a cat i would've thought.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I trim my fours claws all the time, they seem to have incredibly fast growing claws as I'm nearly doing it every two weeks now. We have plenty of scratching posts and the like for them so I only take off the bare tips and really I only started doing it cos one of the toms still has 'mad moments' and likes to play rough. The claws are white and if you hold a cats paws and press your index finger on the top of the toe and your thumb against the pad, you can see the most of the claw including the pinkish vein inside. Never, ever cut as far as that pinkish bit, that's the quick (a blood vessel) and is extremely painful if cut. I just use a nail scissors to take off the tips and never had any problems with them not liking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Yes, I trim for shows and I trim the cats that like to sit on top of me. They like to knead and its not so nice when there are sharp nails involved.
    Inddor cats will shed their nails with using a scratch post but tbh their nails still stay razor sharp.
    It is simple to do once you get into it. We start massaging kittens paws from 2 weeks old so they are used to being touched there and then we clip at 3 weeks and every 2 weeks after that as they are so so sharp. once they are up and about and using the scratch post we do them as they need doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Once you start to trim them though you will have to continue this probably for the cats lifetime (they can live 20 years ish) unless you can get the kitten to use a cat scratcher. Would be a good idea, if you haven't one already, to invest in a cat tower with cat scratching posts and timber scratching posts can help as well. Might save your hands and furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

When trimming, trim the front only (seeing as these are the ones with razor sharp hooks) and the aim is to take the pointed hook off the nail. See if you can find YouTube videos that show you how - you can use a nail clippers or a special clipping tool, but there's more risk of you splitting the nail if you clip one way rather than another. If you find a video - which you're bound to be able to do - you'll see exactly the right way to do it.

I don't bother with mine but I would if I had small kids or older folks come to stay (if my mum ever comes to visit it'll be clipathon x 6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I occassionally trim my cat's nails but I have to wait until she's asleep and quickly do a few nails before she wakes up properly, then wait until shes asleep again until they're all done. They grow so quickly though, I only take the very tip sharp bit off. I use a human nail clipper, a very small set so I can see what I'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I trim mine all the time used play with their paws all time when they were kittens to get them used to it now they just sit still over in few seconds :)

Advertisement