Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any way of proving i lodged cash for wan*er landlord??

• 24-01-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post!

When moving into my last house i had to pay four weeks deposit, i got the deposit back from my previous address in cash and took it into the bank and lodged it with a lodgment slip. My rent was then set up by standing order.

The issue i have is that now (over two years later) when i want to move out, my landlord says there is only two weeks rent paid as a deposit according to his bank account.

My problem is that this was paid by cash so the chances of me having the lodgment slip is slim to none! Is there any other way i can prove i paid it???

P.S yes i know i should have got a receipt from landlord but i guess I'm too trusting/nieve! If the agreement was four weeks rent as a deposit then i have no problem doing that!! Is this assh0le going to get away with it or have i any way of proving i paid cash?? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What does your lease say in regards to the deposit?

Either way I would ask your landlord to show you what he's talking about as he clearly has some evidence of the transaction.

Further than that you can make yourself feel better by making his life difficult by complaining to the billion and one agencies he's probably not registered with and should be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I'd ask the landlord to prove the amount that was paid. Won't take long for him to show you a screen shot/print out of the transactions on the day you lodged the money. I'm pretty sure he would have pulled you up on it long before now if you hadn't paid the correct deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

There is no lease!!!!!! Thats the scary part and i will ask him to show me the account but I'm beginning to wonder will he show me! Oh its all fun and games til the landlord turns evil!!!

Oh Jesus you are too trusting!
    • When you move into your new place get a bloody lease!
    • Take photos of the place
    • Report any damage and take photos of it
    • Get receipts for everything and keep them somewhere safe
    Even if you can prove you paid four weeks whats to stop him from saying you damaged stuff? If a landlord doesn't provide you with some sort of lease he a shyster on some level.

Do you have receipts for any rent paid?

You do realise you should be getting tax relief on your rent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

The bank you lodged the money into will have a record of the lodgement docket you completed in the first place.

The problem is its lodged to his account so don't know how you would approach the bank in asking them for a copy of this but maybe if you can prove its your signature and its for possible legal proceedings they may assist. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You do realise you should be getting tax relief on your rent?

I thought that was only for people renting a property from before Dec 2010?
    EDIT: Just saw how long the op has been living in her place. Nvm

In relation to this, does anyone know if/what a tenant has to do extra if the landlord lives abroad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

In a similar situation to yourself,the landlord is claiming vast amounts of arrears, butIpayed him mainly cash in hand, and never got a receipt! Where would the burden of proof lie in this instance? My rent book has never been signed in the ten months I have been here!

If you where giving him cash in hand why oh why didn't you hand him the rent book?!

Anyway - you obviously have zero proof so taking the objective view it could be that you are simply trying to scam the Landlord. I' not saying you are just trying to get you to see it from the other side. Having said that what Landlord is going to let you stay in the place for 10 months without paying rent?

I would suggest you let your Landlord know that you'll be investigating what your rights are with PRTB, revenue, Garda (who can't do anything but throw it in there), Environmental Health (whatever the Irish equivalent is) &c. until you're told to bugger off and find somewhere else. Not legal advice to be sure just I find if someone is on the scam they normally don't react well to people involving outside authorities.

EDIT: A thought - when you paid him cash in hand did you get the money from the bank? If you did you could atleast show that you were drawing money out to pay something.

Seriously there no excuse these days rents aren't what they used to be - you can find a decent Landlord charing a reasonable rent if you look around!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

With the benefit of hindsight I know that now! Its my first time renting so I was listening to everything this guy was telling me! Im on Rent Allowance which compounds my problems!

Doesn't that get paid straight to the Landlord?

I would suggest talking to the social welfare as well - even if its to lodge some sort of complaint.

Anyone who is on the level will never mind people taking precautions (within reason) and asking for leases, receipts &c. Everyone else is a con artist. That goes for anything going forward. (Sorry to sound like a dick but I just hate to see people taken advantage of!)

Adding to my above list

Try and pay by Standing Order so when you do lose the receipts you have proof you were paying the Landlord for something every month!

And another thing.

Get EVERYTHING he's now telling you in writing and respond in the same way - ideally by registered post. Also when no receipt no rent money! DON'T let him just sign the rent book he may make it look like he's taking back payment on the rent - get a separate receipt with the date on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

In relation to this, does anyone know if/what a tenant has to do extra if the landlord lives abroad?

You are required to deduct a withholding tax from the rent and give it to revenue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You are required to deduct a withholding tax from the rent and give it to revenue.

Thanks, do you have a link to any further info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roz1

Hello,
    I pay my rent by Standing Order at the end of each month, when I checked my account today I noticed the rent for last month has been returned to my account. Has anyone ever heard of this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roz1

Just checked it out with my bank and they say the landlords bank account might have been closed. Anyone know why that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Roz1 wrote: »
    Just checked it out with my bank and they say the landlords bank account might have been closed. Anyone know why that would be.

He could be dead, bankrupt, have fled the country, he could have been abducted by aliens that feel someone should tidy up their affairs before being probed on the planet Zog.

Or the LL could have changed banks...

Have you considered contacting the Landlord?

Advertisement