Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Attacked In City Centre

Options
  • 24-01-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I have to say that this incident is shocking enough.Cork is normally a city that tourists speak favourably of although that might change if things like this become more common.You'd expect this in Dublin or Belfast but it's shocking that something like this can happen here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0124/cork.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not a tourist apparently. He was living in the area. Doesn't make it any better really though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Place has got considerably worse in recent months, Having Heroin and prescription medication in abundance doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

there is something funny about this story, i heard first he was a tourist in his his 40s walking with 2 friends, then later on they said he is in his 30s and was in a group which got involved in a row with another group,
    and someone had a golf club:confused:
    still a terrible attack either way,

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

scumbags the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

He was on 96fm just now, he sounds ok, he got out of hospital and he said that he has lived in Cork for years and does not blame Cork people in general for what happened to him. Sounded like a decent guy, he said he lives over in Summerhill North, and never liked Douglas Street and that whole area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

He was on 96fm just now, he sounds ok, he got out of hospital and he said that he has lived in Cork for years and does not blame Cork people in general for what happened to him. Sounded like a decent guy, he said he lives over in Summerhill North, and never liked Douglas Street and that whole area.

Hope he recovers well. Any info on the lads that attacked him? I find Douglas street fine to be honest, it's not exactly the prettiest street but I always walk home through there at night and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Stuff like this makes me sick. Few years ago saw an old american couple, clearly tourists being abused and shouted at by a group like this on patrick street.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

ician wrote: »
    Stuff like this makes me sick. Few years ago saw an old american couple, clearly tourists being abused and shouted at by a group like this on patrick street.

That's disgraceful but there's chav sum like that in every city in ireland and the uk.It seems to be a very uk and irish thing that sort of carry on.Thankfully the man is okay but there's always scum hanging around by that car park on White Street.You'd think that seeing that the garda station on Anglesea Street is only a few yards away the gards would have looked into it before this happened but i suppose they just couldn't be bothered.I find open drinking in public to be a huge problem in irelands cities in general

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Since that is a paid car park should there not be cameras to deter people from stealing from the cars parked there?? I'm not for cameras on every corner or anything like that but a legal graffiti spot that is also a paid car park should have cameras as a deterrent. If the guards don't get the lot of them it's a disgrace, this isn't organised crime, it's a group of little scumbags that need a beating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I lived on Dunbar Street (just off Douglas Street) for a year and never heard of any trouble, always felt safe out walking around.
    People who do this sort of thing are simpletons, these types of people only ever act 'the big man' when they have a feed of drink in them, have a load of buddies there for 'back up' and 'security' and will only attack if they have a weapon, ironically, imo, it's the windiest and most spineless types of people that do this sort of thing despite the delusions in their primitive minds that they are 'tough' and 'hard'.

• Advertisement

That's disgraceful but there's chav sum like that in every city in ireland and the uk.It seems to be a very uk and irish thing that sort of carry on.Thankfully the man is okay but there's always scum hanging around by that car park on White Street.You'd think that seeing that the garda station on Anglesea Street is only a few yards away the gards would have looked into it before this happened but i suppose they just couldn't be bothered.I find open drinking in public to be a huge problem in irelands cities in general

Yeah its is an english/irish thing. Why? Because they don't get punished right.

Sometimes I wonder would mantory army enrollment, like what happens in France and Germany help any little bit. Put some manners on them and teach them respect and maturity.

Speaking from my own personal experience, it would have done me the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Sometimes I wonder would mantory army enrollment, like what happens in France and Germany help any little bit. Put some manners on them and teach them respect and maturity.

Speaking from my own personal experience, it would have done me the world of good.

France and Germany don't have conscription anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 joethatoom

Those scumbags would want to be sorted out. Aw but sure they are bored and have nothing better to do but attack people with golf clubs.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    France and Germany don't have conscription anymore.

Regardles, you would have to wonder would it help put manners on the increasing amount of Scumbags cowards we have around the place. Who only attack in a group BTW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 joethatoom

It will do wonders for the cork tourism board

joethatoom wrote: »
    It will do wonders for the cork tourism board

This shower of vermin would have attacked anyone be they local or foreign.The give us a fag give us a euro kind of scummer are in every city in ireland.Most tourists have very good things to say about Cork and i have heard of an incident where an indian doctor was beaten to death in Melbourne.Does that mean that we should all stay away from Melbourne then?Thankfully the victim is allright and he didn't end up like that poor Italian man who was left brain damaged after being bottled in Dublin years ago and hopefully the gardai will make more of an effort to patrol the White Street,Douglas Street,Parliament Bridge and around the FAS office areas.The whole area around the south quays gets very dodgy late at night and the White Street car park has been a magnet for scum for the past 2 to 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I live near Douglas St and I'm not from Cork and never had any problems around here or seen any trouble. The area is very quiet after 9/10pm and I regularly walk the dog down the road so not too sure why that guy thinks its dodgy around here.

The worst I seen is just your average joe stumbling past my house steaming and pissing on a street corner or walking into the bins.

That's my experiences and hope to god I never come across a gang of yobs because IMO the Garda are useless and are never seen to be 'on the beat' as they are in the UK

Wouldn't surprise me if the Gardai had driven past the yob walking down the street with the 5 Iron

I live near Douglas St and I'm not from Cork and never had any problems around here or seen any trouble. The area is very quiet after 9/10pm and I regularly walk the dog down the road so not too sure why that guy thinks its dodgy around here.

The worst I seen is just your average joe stumbling past my house steaming and pissing on a street corner or walking into the bins.

That's my experiences and hope to god I never come across a gang of yobs because IMO the Garda are useless and are never seen to be 'on the beat' as they are in the UK

Wouldn't surprise me if the Gardai had driven past the yob walking down the street with the 5 Iron

You get it bang on about the gardai.Put away the donuts lads,get off your arses and start doing the job that your supposed to be doing and that's going after the real criminals not the people who's insurance is a month out of date.There was a lad who got hopped outside Argus in town just before christmas.He tried to signal a passing garda car for help.The Garda on the passenger window side looked at him and they drove on.Luckily he was able to fight the two thugs off by himself.

.............. the real criminals not the people who's insurance is a month out of date...........

Driving without insurance is a very serious offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

RoverJames wrote: »
    Driving without insurance is a very serious offence.

Let's hope he meant 'tax'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

scumbags the lot

Jordi, the Spanish man who was hospitalised, works in a shop on the Blackrock Road. I came across him a few years ago and thought him an incredibly nice, gentle, friendly, courteous, hard-working man - last person who would ever harm anybody else. Am deeply shocked that he has had an experience like this in our city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's an awful attack! I sincerely hope they catch the people who did this. They are a threat to the general public and shouldn't be walking the streets!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

The area is very quiet after 9/10pm and I regularly walk the dog down the road so not too sure why that guy thinks its dodgy around here.

He probably thinks it's dodgy because he was beaten around with a golf club there.

He probably thinks it's dodgy because he was beaten around with a golf club there.

It's nearly as dodgy as that Fairview Park place in Dublin id say.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/man-pleads-guilty-to-vicious-assault-on-italian-teenager-327584.html

Ger89 wrote: »
    Jordi, the Spanish man who was hositalised, works in a shop on the Blackrock Road. I came across him a few years ago and thought him an incredibly nice, gentle, friendly, courteous, hard-working man - last person who would ever harm anybody else. Am deeply shocked that he has had an experience like this in our city

Sadly im not too surprised every city in Ireland get's very unsafe after dark and considering the general scummers hanging around that car park,the junkies and the poor policing of the city centre in general and it's not too surprising sadly and yeah i meant Tax of course.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Interesting the way the Mayor apologised to him.

Not many apologies coming out for other folk who get a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

a lot of these scumbags are youths. they aren't afraid of being caught because all they will get is a stern warning. that just makes them look really "hard" and then their friends think its cool and do similar things.

we need to punish youth offenders, not by detention. a few months ago a youth was charged with spitting on a guard car and his punishment was to wash the car every saturday morning. some people thought that wasn't "right". i think punishments like that are perfect because they're fair, don't cost much to implement and they actually punish the offender

btw when i say youth i mean an offender under-18 years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

my friend lives on dunbar street and she was also shocked when she heard about the attack she often walks home alone after a night out and has never had any hassle,

last night however a group of us were leaving sober lane heading to the grand parade over the footbridge while walking up the footpath nearest the river, i spotted a gang of teenagers over by the old FAS building they could only have been around 15-17, there were about 20 of them there, A Garda patrol car drove right past and didnt even stop or look in their direction, considering what happened with the attack you'd think they'd try and disperse or at least keep an eye on them, esp on a busy saturday night in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

50 lashes of the cat o nine tails

• Advertisement
Advertisement