Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated Heating System

Options
  • 24-01-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

I am currently in the planning process of a new house and am considering an integrated heating system.

I am planning in connecting a stove, solar panels (tubes), and oil into the system which will heat rads and DHW. Currently also planning in approx 3 zones.

The taught process behind is it that the solar will help the oil in the summer months and the stove in the winter months.

My questions/inquiry are

1) If anyone could point me to where I can get any information on such a system that would be great. Including a block diagram
    2) If anyone knows anyone in the Limerick area with such expertise
    3) If anyone has any feedback on such a system that would also be brilliant.
    4) What kind of stove to use, I’m calculating that I will need 4/5kW to the room. (Am fearful of having too big a stove that I will need a personal forest to keep it going as all its energy is going to heating the water and on the other side having a stove that gives too much heat to the room and none to the DHW system

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Contact a heating engineer. Get an energy demand calculation done (EN12831).
    What you are planning seems to be an overkill, the maintenance costs of the thermal system being very high. Not to mention the costs for purchase and replacement, space.

So get the energy demand calculated.

If using ST energy go for maintenance free and glycol free collectors with the tank included.
    Something like this costs around €1,000 incl. VAT:

http://www.sunshore.cn/en/Products_Page.asp?id=9

( there are many other manufacturers out there, different designs, sizes, prices)

They are the cheapest type of ST collectors and offer a financial return on the investment. Other systems don't do so in standard household situations.
    If a supplier tells you something different get this in writing, signed and sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mcorriga

Hi Heinbold thanks for your input will look into the link you attached.

The reason I was looking at integrating the stove is that I will be installin one in the house so was looking at getting it to do more than just heat the room. ( heat for free I suppose!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Can you get a DHW cylinder above the stove? I assume it is a 2 story house.To do it for free you need a gravity system off the WBS. The heat store needs to be directly above the stove to work well. I have done it with WBS and Solar thermal connected into buffer tank with original oil backup. Working extremely well but not tested through a summer yet but winter has been very promising. 5KW stove gets 200 litres up to 60c top of the tank 57c in the bottom in an evening. Still working out fuel requirement as mainly using briquettes until I get the chainsaw out but it works very well.
    Sizing everything needs careful planning depending on number of people/baths/ showers/roof space etc.
    If you go for just one cylinder with three loops you can do it but it may not heat quite as quickly as mine is direct in at the top and out the bottom.
    Happy to offer any more info if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

As freddyuk says already: the planning is important.

The most economical way to integrate different types of thermal sources (when looking at energy efficiency and maintenance/replacement costs) is carefull planning from the beginning.

Choose a directly connected integration, avoid heat exchangers where possible to avoid transmission losses. Choose rust free materials to avoid replacements and inhibitors. Choose a low pressure system to avoid early aging.
    Choose large thermal transmitters (wall-/underfloor heating) to allow for a low system temperature.
    Choose large pipe diameters to reduce pumping costs and pump size and noise.

The exact detailing leave to a heating engineer, for a DIYer and unexperienced plumber the task would be to big.

There is no problem to integrate a boiler stove in any wet heating system, this should be a straight forward case. Masonry boiler stoves could act as a buffer/thermal storage for the entire heating system during the heating season due to their huge mass.
    If not going for ST space heating but just ST DHW go for a simple, non-integrated system. Forget about the ST system's integration in buffer and storage tanks, it makes ST energy non-competitive.
    This would also be cheaper and easier to install and maintain.
    90% of all ST systems installed are installed in this way (see the Sunshore link) unsubsidised, paying for themself.

Here a link where you can start with further research:

http://www.ehi.eu/

Click onto " Heating technologies "

PS
    Here another ST all-in-one system with a 5 year guarantee. Hardly any Irish installer/seller will give this on the entire system, here it comes as a plug-and-play solution:

http://www.aguasol.dk/new_uk/Home

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mcorriga

Hi Lads,

thanks for yere input. Obviously I have alot ot consider:):)

FreddyUK. It is a 2 story house.

What make of heat store and stove did you invest in?? Did you look into using a multifeul stove or is a WBS the best for such a setup.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Please note I am not a professional!
    I have a UK bought multifuel by Clearview. It is excellent but you pay for quality. In this situation a good stove which is really controllable is a real essential to get a source of heat which is so flexible. I have a bungalow so can get all services above the ceiling and the stove is in the middle so keeps everything warm when damped down. Stays in all night no problem without banking up with tons of fuel. A couple of briquettes, shut it down and it will stay hot no problem. Also lined the chimmney with class one liner. You must let it rip occasionally to prevent soot build up but all that heat is only going into the DHW buffer.
    The store is a stainless pressurised cylinder which I had cheap from new (Far East ). I have an open vented system so it is quite safe. It then pumps automatically into my normal DHW cylinder using a temperature differential switch. If there is no sun or no stove lit the oil boiler will kick in if required.
    I think a decent stove is so good that investing the extra is well worth it.
    I installed everything myself so if it does not work I have to redesign. You will need professional advice to install a system that works in your property. I am happy to recommend systems and equipment that I know works but every installation is different so get someone in to advise you but tell them what you want to achieve and how.
    Heinbloed has views on the ST which I don't currently agree with but it depends on capital cost and also most integrated systems are designed for a balcony or flat roof. Planning may not allow you to put a large cylinder on your pitched roof.

Advertisement