Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy owner - questions about when out of the house

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did you change her food suddenly? This can cause tummy upsets. Also what treats are you feeding her?
    Has she been wormed recently?

What about this food, its designed from Weaning to 5 months
    http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Royal_Canin_MAXI_BABY_DOG_Food_15kg.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

andreac wrote: »
    Did you change her food suddenly? This can cause tummy upsets. Also what treats are you feeding her?

That's what I was talking about and have fed it to pups and mother and they did great on it. Changed them onto the junior when they were over eight weeks and disaster with poo etc so had to move them onto a maxi zoo own brand which they did very well on. But definitely the babydog did them very well when they were weaning.

Edit- Forgot to add that I dont believe in these breed specific foods at all. They're more expensive and do the exact same thing as the normal food, why charge so much more just because it has a picture of a specific dog on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

andreac wrote: »

We aren't sure what she was being fed by previous people. We've obviously been feeding her the same thing all week now. Consistency of poo was ok on Tuesday so must be the treats.

Cant recall a brand. They seemed pretty generic. In the new puppy section in petstop. Stop drop and rollover?

She was wormed in the vets on Tuesday .

peteb2 wrote: »
    We aren't sure what she was being fed by previous people. We've obviously been feeding her the same thing all week now. Consistency of poo was ok on Tuesday so must be the treats.

Cant recall a brand. They seemed pretty generic. In the new puppy section in petstop. Stop drop and rollover?

She was wormed in the vets on Tuesday .

Well i would maybe stop the treats or use plain chicken or ham for treats.

If she was wormed it could also be that.

Just keep an eye that she doesnt have any vomitting as well as runny poo's because if a pup gets dehydrated it can be very serious. If shes in good form just cut out the treats and just feed her normal food, nothing else until her tummy clears up.
    It could be the change of food too, thats why its always a good idea to get some of what the breeder was feeding and keep feeding that and slowly mix in new food.
    Can you call the breeder and ask them what they were feeding her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Peteb2 you could use Royal Canin Maxi Junior or Maxi Junior active if you are not pushed on the breed specific. I use the maxi junior for my rotties and am currently changing my older dog to the adult version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

We got a six week old Lab Cross pup at the weekend. I havent had a puppy since I was kid twenty odd years ago. So I'm unsure on a few things these days.

We are crating her at night when we go to bed and then in the afternoon when my wife goes out for 3 hours.

But what do people do when they go out, like to the pub or something. We were due to go out on Friday but I don't think its fair to leave the dog crated from maybe 8pm to 1am and then come home from being out and let her out to go. And then put her back out in the crate to sleep.

come to think of it I'm even concerned with having to go to the cinema and leave her there.

Am i just going crazy? What do dog owners do?

What I did was to box off an area outside of the crate and leave the door open on the crate. I put newspaper all outside the crate. That way the pup could sleep in the crate and go outside it to go to the toilet. I put less and less paper out each night and ended up with a small patch near the back door which she went on most nights.

Unfortunately she was a brilliant escapist and broke out of the enclosure when she was very bored but she was usually happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Don't some of the dog treats say they shouldn't be used on a dog under 3 months? Someone be sure to correct me on that if I'm wrong but I do remember when I started off very basic training with mine when they were pups that I had to use bits of ham & chicken because the regular treats had that proviso on them and I didn't want to take a chance.

Glad to hear she's doing better now.

Ok I've woke up this morning to a puppy with a very upset tummy to my distress and hers more so! Dihaerea (or however it's spelt) and vomitting. Rang the person she came from who told us she was actually feeding her boiled rice mixed in with wet dog food.

Considering we should be feeding her 4 times a day how do we deal with swopping out the food. And save the dismay please because I am upset enough without it. Thanks.

Ok I've woke up this morning to a puppy with a very upset tummy to my distress and hers more so! Dihaerea (or however it's spelt) and vomitting. Rang the person she came from who told us she was actually feeding her boiled rice mixed in with wet dog food.

Considering we should be feeding her 4 times a day how do we deal with swopping out the food. And save the dismay please because I am upset enough without it. Thanks.

Ok, for starters, vomitting and Diarrhoea can be very very serious in young pups so please get her to the vet asap.

The breeder wasnt feeding her right at all so i wouldnt even listen now to what they are telling you. Rice and wet food is not a suitable diet for growing puppies.

I would take her off the food for the moment and just feed boiled chicken and rice as this is what should be fed to dogs with upset tummies, but take her to the vet first and get her checked over as Parvo is a disease that puppies can pick up and the symptoms are vommitting and diarrhoea along with being lethargic.
    It could be the food causing her to be sick but it could be something else.

Has she been vaccinated for Parvo yet?

She was down to get the first round on Tuesday. Wife was down so don't know exactly what it was. Will ring the vet today.

But should we not be trying to mix kibble in with the wet stuff to change her over? And now I've absolutely no idea how much of anything to give her ! So annoyed at myself right now!

• Advertisement

She was down to get the first round on Tuesday. Wife was down so don't know exactly what it was. Will ring the vet today.

But should we not be trying to mix kibble in with the wet stuff to change her over? And now I've absolutely no idea how much of anything to give her ! So annoyed at myself right now!

Well if her tummy is upset then no, you have to take her off the kibble for the moment as that could be the cause of it so as long as you keep feeding it, it can make her sick.
    Im always concerned when you have both vomitting and the runs together as it can be serious, esp in young pups.
    I dont mean to scare you but i really would get her to the vets as soon as you can as they can go downhill very quickly if they get dehydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Don't worry about feeding her - rush her to the vet. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Take her to vet ASAP.

Had my puppy at vet on Wednesday (large 4 month old Bernese) with diarrhea only, she has a tummy bug, she had to get injections, tablets for the next few days and NOT allowed any food for 24 hours, only maybe natural yogurt yesterday evening if we wanted to (so she was starving yesterday, poor baby).

Diarrhea and vomiting are very serious in puppies, my vet said he would let her go home but to keep an eye on her and if it kept happening he would keep her in and put her on a drip because they get dehydrated and go downhill very quickly!!

(Just to add, my vet also offered to keep her in so i wouldn't have to clean up after her, which i thought was a very nice offer, don't think many vets would do that, he's so good!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

I really hope your puppy is okay OP, as I said in an earlier post I had a similar experience with my dog, the vet had to keep my dog in over night but he made a very quick recovery. Fingers crossed its nothing too serious.

Been to the vets. And can i just O'Scannail's in Swords are just great and I can't recommend them enough.

She checked her over, we explained what had been happening. She appears just to have been upset from the last few days what with moving homes, vaccinations, and us inadvertently changing her food without realising it. She explained there will be some diahorrea for the next few days and pass some blood and jelly type stuff out from the stomach lining out. Gave us some tables and medicine to harden the stools and told us to ring her tomorrow if she wasnt running around like normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

That's great news :) You must be so relieved, I know I was when my puppy was sick, plenty of TLC and she should be bouncing around again in no time.

She is bouncing around now with a big fully belly on her which is always good.

But now the problem tends to be convincing her that she should be in bed when we are and not wanting to leg it around the room! Same applying when we take her to "go" at 3 in the morning. Any tips anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

We happen to get our Husky/German Shepard mix when she was 6 weeks old, owner had her weaned off mommy for 1-2 weeks i think, had her on lidl wet food, so on way home got the same wet food and Royal Canin maxi junior for German Shepard, 1st couple of days mixed a spoon of wet food, hand full of dry, mashed it.
    With every feed less part wet food, more dry. When just had all dry, we'd add a bit of hot water with 1/4 stock cude dissolved to turn it mushy, to change it up, fried some mince, well done, mixed it with fat and all, or cut a ham to bits and mix it, just to keep her interested.
    A week in got a second pup, a Rottie, same routine. Personally, happy with brand, 10 months on,dogs are doing well with it :)
    Fed befor work, during lunch and befor 6-7 pm, any time frame suiting, to minimize % nightly accidents, although 1st few weeks, slept with 1 eye open.
    Bit of play time right before bed used to do the trick
    hope that'd be any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

What a thread! I have found both Royal Canin and James Well Beloved have caused the runs in puppies and personally I prefer Hills. Now that all your questions have been answered on feeding and toileting, just a couple of suggestions that might help with entertaining your puppy and getting her ready for the big bad world...

You should start lead training her now while she can't be walked out in public. Put her collar on and put the lead on and leave her to investigate it in front of you. Increase the time the lead is on her and begin training her to heel - you can use her dry food as treats or you could also use little bits of boiled chicken as it won't upset her tummy (if you use treats, reduce the amount of food fed at meal times).

You mentioned giving her treats when she toilets outside - praise should also be plenty enough so don't worry too much about the treats when toilet training.

Scatter feeding is also great to keep a pup stimulated - throw her feed around the garden and she'll spend ages trying to sniff out all the treats. It will also keep her mind stimulated. Kong balls are great, got a great tip recently for crate time...if you make up gravy really thick, line the inside of a kong with the thick gravy and put it in the crate with her, she'll spend ages trying to get the gravy out, licking at the kong...

These things are great for mental stimulation. There are other things you can do such as teaching her to play fetch, hiding the ball once she has the interest in it and letting her find it. You can teach her the 'leave it' command quite easily using treats aswell....take a treat in both hands, put one behind your back and hold the second one in your hand..when she goes to take the treat, tell her to 'leave' it and pull your hand away...repeat and the minute she realises that she won't get the treat if she automatically goes for it and she looks away, give her the treat from the hand behind your back. I taught my GSD x the 'leave it' command when she was a puppy and it has been the most useful command I've ever taught her because it applies to everything!

The age she is at now is crucial for learning and you may as well spend this time getting her ready for when she can be walked...being prepared on the lead and teaching her to walk to heel while in the house will make it easier for her when she does go out - it can be daunting the first time going on the lead, so already being familiar with the lead and what it does will make the transition outside a little easier.

If you do have to go out during the day and leave her in the crate, leave the telly or radio on for a little bit of background noise.

Advertisement