Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Forest Run!! Part 2 - GET A SECOND OPINION!!!!

• 24-01-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from my post just under a year ago - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70579325 my dog had his other leg straightened on the 24th of October and has been allowed off his lead for the last week and everything is going really well...:D:D

I thought I'd share this in case anyone is going through a similar experience..

Our park closes at 5:00pm in Jan and normally the gate nearest us would be closed when we pass on our walk at about 4:45ish.. Anyhoos last night it was open and still a bit bright so I took him in. He had a mooch up at the top field (where the dog people usually meet) but didn't want to play with the dogs there as he's afraid of their owner (who is a "trainer" lol:rolleyes:) so I took him on - one of their dogs is huge anyways and it's a bit soon for him to be playing with him so I was happy not to stick around.. It was getting a bit darker at this stage and I was on my own with him so I decided to head towards the gate near the playground as it's left on a long chain so people can get in and out after the park is closed. Once we got there I realised that the playground area is quite well lit from the streetlights etc and it's open enough without bushes etc and has good visibility of the street outside (ie safe) so I let him off. He was in his element - running around like a maniac, coming when I called him, waiting for me to throw treats into the grass for him to find and just delighted with himself. :) A elderly woman was passing outside and said he was a lovely dog and so playful and told me about her old dog who has passed away etc She said she loved seeing my guy so happy running around... And it struck me. Where would we be now if we hadn't of gotten a second opinion? What state would he be in? Would he be allowed of the lead at all - I don't think so as 5 or 10 mins max before the first op and he'd be showing signs of being sore? Would I maybe having to make a horrible decision if he was in too much pain etc etc? But he's fine. We got a second opinion he has 2 new straight legs now. In another few months he should be healed up completely and he'll be able to walk for a couple of hours, run, swim and play and won't get sore. He's happy and settled and not frustrated at being restricted so much and even though I always say he's bold he's a pretty good dog.

So if your dog has problems and you don't quite agree with the advice you've been given get a second opinion or a third or forth.. Don't give up on them and don't stop until you're happy you've done the very best you can for them.

PS as always thanks to everyone who has given me support and advice for the last 2 and half years - I really really appreciate it!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ahhh!! It's nice to hear some good positive stories, really pleased for you and doggy and I totally agree about getting a second opinion from other vets!!

Advertisement