Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the point of music snobbery?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

We can all agree on one thing...

Regulate by Warren G is brilliant.

I'm not too keen on G Funk but it's a bloody good song.

Everyone, from hardcore Derek Bailey fans to folks who have a horn for Coldplay likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

smokedeels wrote: »
    We can all agree on one thing...

Regulate by Warren G is brilliant.

I'm not too keen on G Funk but it's a bloody good song.

Everyone, from hardcore Derek Bailey fans to folks who have a horn for Coldplay likes it.

Kode9 played that in Twisted Pepper back in November, it was unreal! Right in the middle of all the heavy bass stuff he was playing, everyone stopped and went mental - THE RHYTHM IS THE BASS AND THE BASS IS THE TREBLE! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

rcaz wrote: »
    Kode9 played that in Twisted Pepper back in November, it was unreal! Right in the middle of all the heavy bass stuff he was playing, everyone stopped and went mental - THE RHYTHM IS THE BASS AND THE BASS IS THE TREBLE! :P

How did they bring it in? straight cut or faded or? would have loving to hear that.

Can't be any geek of the street.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tune.

Gotta love that song, thank christ i was away at the weekend seeing a great band and missed this trainwreck.

Worse than music snobs? Bad-taste-music-snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I see music snobbery as some form of attention-seeking or low self-esteem issue i.e. "Oh, you have such a poor taste in music, mine is so much better, therefore I'm better than you."

There's a lot of music out there that I don't like and wouldn't bother with but I don't feel the need to slag people about their tastes, that's their taste. I'm happy with the music I like, that's my taste and I'm not afraid to give stuff that I don't usually go for a try.

However, as a teenager, I only listened to hip-hop and I got a lot of slagging about it, so much to the point that I identified as a solely hip-hop fan and wouldn't listen to other stuff. In turn, I began slagging the music that those same people liked as a counter-move. It was all pointless and childish.

I grew out of this and began listening to stuff that's very far from hip-hop because I thought it sounded good. When I was 14/15, I wouldn't dream of listening to anything with a guitar in it, now, some of my favourite bands are David Bowie, Prince, Funkadelic and Metallica. Similarly, I've gone in other directions too. I used to hate dance music but now I like a lot of it. I even have a few pop albums. I'm glad I changed from something of a music snob as I've discovered loads of great music that I would have previously dismissed.

For me, what someone else listens to is irrelevant, what I listen to is relevant. If I think a song is crap, I don't want to listen to it. If my friend wants to, that's their business. The only time it bothers me is if they play the music while I'm around but, even then, I respect their choice. I'm not some control freak that has to have my music playing all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ntlbell wrote: »
    How did they bring it in? straight cut or faded or? would have loving to hear that.

Can't be any geek of the street.

Er, I don't remember... :pac: I just remember that the whole thing was absolutely sick, that he played that, and that he played A Milli. Don't ask me anything else, I technically wasn't present for parts of the night :pac:

The whole crowd got about 70% dirtier when that kick drum came in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Technically I don't look on people with different tastes than me but I certainly feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for the fact that they are happy to expose themselves to, in many cases, mindless drivel because it's in the charts, it's easily accessible and everyone is talking about it. It's easier than going out and searching fora and asking people for new music or recommending it yourself.

<snip>

I feel that if the snobbyists (made that up there :pac:) took the time to listen to all of U2's catalogue, all of Radiohead's or Bob Dylan's or whoever then their opinions would change. That's on the basis that their views are not so ingrained in their mind that it is impossible to change. For many people they may not have the time to listen to all the music necessary for this to happen, but we can live in hope. I make it my mission everyday to try and make one person listen to a proper rap song, I'm hardly ever successful but I try.
    I'm sorry, but I laughed at this opinion that on the one hand you feel sorry that they listen to "mindless drivel", and yet you then go onto saying they should "open their mind" by listening to your mindless drivel :P

=-=

Personally, if i don't like a style of music, I won't listen to it, and if you're in my car, it'll get switched off/channel changed/etc. If you ask me if I like X band, I'll say ye or "it's sh|t", as I find if I say "no, I don't like it" they'll ask what song i listened to, that I may like another song, as they think that they are the 2nd coming of Jaasus :pac:
    rcaz wrote: »
    if someone's spent years listening to all kinds of music, their opinion should be given a bit more consideration than someone who's listened to one or two kinds of music for a few months, right?
    Wrong. If someone spent their entire life listening to emo sh|te, and truely loved it, I still wouldn't care if they didn't like Slayer.

=-=

I hate emo-music
    I dislike rap, most danch/techno and pop music
    I'm not a fan of jazz or the blues, but if it comes on the radio, I won't switch it off.
    I don't mind some rock, but a lot of it is crap
    I love metal, irish trad, and hard house

I refuse to listen to emo sh|te. I will listen to rap, and probably call it sh|te, but some rappers have style (not many; most just seem to fit as many words in as possible). Some dance I like, but prefer a style called "hard house", but other forms of dance and a lot of techno seems like a tune on repeat, so I dislike it. Most jazz and blues I don't mind, and will listen to it if it comes on the radio. Rock music is hit and miss. Some is good, some is crap. I love lots of different styles of metal, I like most trad, with the fast "fenian style" music my favourite.

Am I a music snob? Yes. To me, a music slob is someone who prefers one genre over another.

Did I forget pop music? No. I find people who like pop music actually prefer one sort of music, but listen to "pop music" as it plays a lot of stuff that they like. A lot of them will like what is trendy now, but if it's old, they won't listen to it. These peoples opinion of music is invalid, as they'll love whatever is in the charts, but unce it's no longer in the top twenty, they stop liking it.

I stopped reading at post 15, as I feared I would end up writing an essay :P

Advertisement