Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with this house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I've heard from several people that it's haunted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Been told that myself ha.

It is a fine house indeed, passed it every week going to the bus station while I worked in Ennis, never really gave it a proper look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

My mother told me the whole story a few years ago as I think she knows the family involved, dont remember much but it has to do with a will.....and someone contesting it I think!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It is a fine house, I believe that the family that own that house also owned another property in Claureen, which also lay idle for years:( Rumour has it that there was a dispute for years over a will (or the owner died intestate) and the remaining family couldn't agree on who was entitled to inherit the properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It is a fine house, I believe that the family that own that house also owned another property in Claureen, which also lay idle for years:( Rumour has it that there was a dispute for years over a will (or the owner died intestate) and the remaining family couldn't agree on who was entitled to inherit the properties.
    So nobody ended up with it! Hard to believe it's intelligent adults that get involved in these matters.

• Advertisement

MyKeyG wrote: »
    So nobody ended up with it! Hard to believe it's intelligent adults that get involved in these matters.
    It is so sad really, it emphasises how important it is to make a valid will. Dying intestate can cause lots of distress, delay and expense for the surviving family members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

i have heard the same story re the will etc. There was a for sale by auction sign on it a few years ago before the bubble burst, not sure if it was sold though as obviously nothing has happened to it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

NAMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

There was a will
    The family disputed the will
    It was going through the courts when the person who was left the house passed away
    This person did not leave a will
    It was going through the courts again about 5 years ago the court recommended the house be sold and the proceeds be divided
    There was no buyer
    The house is now being left til it goes derelict and the council take it ove
    It cannot be demolished by current owners due to a protection order as far as I know

A case of "I dont want it but I don't want them to have it either"
    Awful waste of a good site if nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

angelfire9 wrote: »
    There was a will
    It was going through the courts when the person who was left the house passed away
    It was going through the courts again about 5 years ago the court recommended the house be sold and the proceeds be divided
    There was no buyer
    It cannot be demolished by current owners due to a protection order as far as I know

Well that's one story try talking to anyone who worked on that house or get permission to spend a night there alone I have heard a few stories about people running scared from that place even the homeless have no interest in it so I was told.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

There was a will
    There was no buyer

While I was living in Ennis about 12 years ago my then landlord told me, that he is friends with the woman who inherited the house, who tried to sell it and didn't find a buyer. Understandably, it's a very busy and noisy corner of Ennis. Who wants to live there?
    According to that landlord the owner emigrated and just gave up on the property.

Makes sense though that there was a dispute about the inheritance.

There are a few more houses in Ennis with the same problem. Some are owned by nuns, I've been told, who can't be bothered to look after them or sell them or at least rent them. They are not only an eyesore but evidence of the twisted attitude towards property, as angelfire so aptly put it above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tis creepy looking in all fairness...can hear the screeching of violins in my head just looking at it in the photo

great location for a horror movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The few derelict houses wouldn't keep me awake at night, to be honest. It's the negative equity ones that haunt me!

I pass this house every day and love it, Im always day dreaming about it, it could be so beautiful again

Personally I'd have no problem living there. I grew up beside Clonroad close to Bob Lyons garage and the traffic has never been an issue, in fact I get more unsettled when it's quiet. I'm not sure if I can understand why it couldn't be sold five years ago as the other poster claims since we were still in the boom. I'd hate to see it knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i used to pass this house every day goin to school and when i was a teenager i thought id love to buy that house and restore all the floorboards and have big rugs etc!!
    same as maiden my mother told me it was something to do with the deeds of the house!! so sad as it could be a fab house if you had the money....

Well that's the thing more than once I thought that if I became a millionaire I'd pay top dollar and do it up. I wonder will it ever be resolved in my lifetime?

Does anyone know, out of morbid curiosity, when was the last time it was actually occupied?

Well that's the thing more than once I thought that if I became a millionaire I'd pay top dollar and do it up. I wonder will it ever be resolved in my lifetime?

Does anyone know, out of morbid curiosity, when was the last time it was actually occupied?
    It must be 35 years or more since anyone lived in that house. It is amazing the amount of people who are genuinely fascinated by the place, if my memory serves me right, the house is called St. Gabriels. I'm not sure I'd like to live so close to that awful excuse for a roundabout though :D I have seen so many near misses there :D

I'm not sure I'd like to live so close to that awful excuse for a roundabout though :D I have seem so many near misses there :D
    I honestly wonder if there are some parts of the town that would be better serve with traffic lights. What with the bus station there's quite a bit of pedestrian traffic as well as vehicular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

It must be 35 years or more since anyone lived in that house. It is amazing the amount of people who are genuinely fascinated by the place, if my memory serves me right, the house is called St. Gabriels. I'm not sure I'd like to live so close to that awful excuse for a roundabout though :D I have seem so many near misses there :D

If you won big money on the lotto you could do a lot with that house
    I think there is a back entrance as well?
    If memory serves me right a few years back someone knocked down the wall at the corner by driving into it?
    That would be my fear if you'd kids I'd be afraid to leave them out the back

• Advertisement

Here is a picture of the other house I mentioned earlier in this thread. It is situated in Cloughleigh Road, close to Claureen.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=45+Cloughleigh+Road,+Cloughleigh,+Ennis&hl=en&ll=52.849298,-8.996369&spn=0.001633,0.011319&sll=52.849256,-8.996332&layer=c&cbp=11,249.22,,0,-4.78&cbll=52.849298,-8.996369&hnear=45+Cloughleigh+Rd,+Cloghleagh,+Ennis,+County+Clare&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=0&panoid=d3LQtxRQT-kc8qbhfVfKUw

It was owned by the same family, it would have also been a fine house in its day but it is not as nearly as imposing as the Clonroad house.

God I thought I was the only one fascinated with this house!!!! Mad!!

The other one is called 'the haunted house' locally and has been derelict for many many years as is the house beside it formerly 'Greenes' house.

The homeless have taken shelter in both of these houses for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

There was a will
    There was no buyer

it's only oul precast concrete, hardly an ancestoral monument. It's owned by
    some people called or connected to "malones"

poppyvally wrote: »
    it's only oul precast concrete, hardly an ancestoral monument.
    Well besides it being a nice house it's one of the few things that has stayed exactly the same in my lifetime. I just find it somewhat intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I always had the same dream... Growing up in Quin, every time we went to Ennis I would always point out the house to my Mam saying that it was where I was gonna live when I grew up... Still can't help but look at it every time I pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Anyone know what's going on with this house across from the Colaiste? Didn't yer man Sheils used to own it? It's in bits these days.

m83 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going on with this house across from the Colaiste? Didn't yer man Sheils used to own it? It's in bits these days.
    That's a nice house but I can't understand people designing balcony's on the front. You don't want to be sitting there in just your shorts with the whole world looking.

• Advertisement

m83 wrote: »
    I thought Sheil's house was sold by public auction a couple of years ago. I adore College Road, I'd gladly live in any house on that road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement