Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear Advice

• 24-01-2012 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I hope this doesn't offend the rules on the grounds of being asked a bazillion times or being commercial.

I need to get a full set of sailing gear - boots, Hi-fits, jacket (could delay this one) gloves and anything else I've missed. I borrow the club's life jackets - pain that it is for someone as tall and fat as me!

I sail maybe twice a week - don't do any racing but would like too and might do the odd weekend here and there.

Any suggestions on what brand / level to buy? I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that will last and or looks/performs a bit better.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I saw some sailing jackets (looked like offshore stuff) in TK Maxx recently - Musto - would be a bargain if that's what you're after. Not sure if they ever have legs though.

For just coastal/racing, though, you wouldn't need that much jacket - the collar is very high, and they're much bulkier than the inshore/coastal stuff.

If you're planning on long/night trips, then you could probably use offshore gear.

Jackets and legs basically go from inshore, through coastal, offshore up to ocean. Each step up will have more "insulation" for want of a better term - none of them are warm in themselves, but will have higher collars, bigger hoods, better wrist cuffs, that sort of thing. Don't go for a much higher level than you think you'll need, though. As long as you've something waterproof, it's all about layers underneath! And go for breathable (although some would disagree, as they don't seem to stay waterproof as long - but I find if you rinse the salt off regularly, that helps a lot).

The Dubarry factory just outside Ballinasloe used to sell seconds sailing boots (they might have a teeny scratch in them, basically they were perfect but just not saleable at full price) - not 100% sure if they still do, but they were close enough to half price when they did - worth a phone call to see (they're incredibly helpful down there on the phone). Otherwise you could try Viking Marine in DL, Sutton Marine, 53 Degrees North (more expensive IMO) for full price boots. Or wait for the sales!

Lifejacket - you need to decide between bouyancy aid (the foam, bulky ones), or a self-inflating one. With either, make sure you get one appropriate to your weight! Go to a reputable sailing shop or chandlers and ask for advice. And if you go for the self-inflating one, make sure it's serviced every year (or learn to do it yourself, which I do) - the amount of man overboards I've heard of in racing in DL where the jackets didn't go up is frightening.

Kitting yourself out with all that ain't gonna be cheap. But I learned the hard way that if you buy cheap, you wind up buying twice. And if you get good gear, it'll last you a long long time. My favourite brand is Musto, but that's just me.

And lastly, Lidl (and/or Aldi) usually have sailing gear in the run up to the start of the season. One year it was pure crap, I wound up giving legs back - but last years's stuff was good, I got two pairs of legs for about 30 quid each, which if they were my beloved Musto would've cost at least 100. Keep an eye out for their twice-weekly listings (you can sign up for email notification), and get there early!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Another two places you could try are http://www.marineparts.ie/clothing/ and http://www.dinghysupplies.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I think the boat show is on this year. Sometimes you can get discounted gear especially if you're buying more than one item.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think the boat show is on this year. Sometimes you can get discounted gear especially if you're buying more than one item.

I'm not sure the boat show is going ahead now :( it was to be the 10th - 12th of Feb but I think a lot of the stall holders have pulled out.
    If you hear of anything let us know. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Bumpermicating this to say thanks to the posters and to ask a couple more questions.

Still haven't got around to buying the gear yet but would like to buy from an Irish Company unless the pricing is taking the mickey.

Thinking of -
    http://www.marineparts.ie/clothing/clothing-1/sailing-trousers/musto-br1-trousers.html
    &
    http://www.marineparts.ie/clothing/footwear/sailing-boots/gill-tall-yachting-boots.html
    &
    http://www.marineparts.ie/clothing/gloves/gill-deckhand-gloves-short-finger-7040.html

would these be okay for year round day sailing, the occasional 2 or 3 day sail and some racing?

I'll be using a crappy waterproof walking jacket until I can save up some more money and buy a decent offshore jacket for the winter - does that seem like a decent plan?

Poor law student so likely to remain poor forever so bear this in mind with any recommendations! :D

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Looks good you could also invest in a set of thermal underwear for very cold day's they are cheep and affective.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

You shouldn't make too much of an investment in gear until you have a better idea of what form of sailing you will find yourself predominantly involved in; and furthermore which crew position you will find yourself in, possibly on a weekly basis.

Cruising; boat deliveries; coastal races; windward/leeward races; all have, if not essential, preferred clothing. Equally the foredeck crew verses the afterguard.

The Musto salopette(sailing lingo for trousers!), tick all the above boxes, so I'd say they are a good buy for you.

The boots, are OK, however you will eventually probably want a pair Dubarry boots. They're good quality, very popular and Irish!; however at €200+ pricey. So I'd say for now, for you as a newcomer, the Gill boots would suffice.

I myself don't wear gloves, but Gill gloves seem to be popular with those sailors who do.

Any half decent sailing jacket is €200+, so stick with your walking jacket for now. Again you mightn't even need one depending on the type of sailing you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Thanks again for the replies!

Thought I'd be a bit more specific about the Sailing - its out of Dun Laoghaire with a club. Pottering around trying to get a bit of experience for doing my Day Skipper / Yacht Master (eventually). It's a 33' keel boat and a 24' - both occasionally race with varying degrees of 'seriousness'. There also might be the occasional time I'd go crew for someone else if they were stuck.

I suppose I'm looking for the cheapest catch all solution bearing in mind we sail all year round. Hoping the stuff listed will do in November if I add a good jacket and warm under-ware! Any clue how long the BR1s should last used twice a week?

Day Skipper / Yacht Master / Any holiday are done in Spain or Greece so really its just a pair shorts then :)

You shouldn't make too much of an investment in gear until you have a better idea of what form of sailing you will find yourself predominantly involved in; and furthermore which crew position you will find yourself in, possibly on a weekly basis.

Cruising; boat deliveries; coastal races; windward/leeward races; all have, if not essential, preferred clothing. Equally the foredeck crew verses the afterguard.

The Musto salopette(sailing lingo for trousers!), tick all the above boxes, so I'd say they are a good buy for you.

The boots, are OK, however you will eventually probably want a pair Dubarry boots. They're good quality, very popular and Irish!; however at €200+ pricey. So I'd say for now, for you as a newcomer, the Gill boots would suffice.

I myself don't wear gloves, but Gill gloves seem to be popular with those sailors who do.

Any half decent sailing jacket is €200+, so stick with your walking jacket for now. Again you mightn't even need one depending on the type of sailing you are doing.

Agree with this - get an idea of what you'll be doing (mostly) before investing. What you wear for a day race will not be what you need for a night watch in the cold/rain - and vice versa.

If you're ever in the vicinity of Ballinasloe, the Dubarry factory has an outlet shop with their boots at around half price - there's tiny flaws in them, some not even noticeable, but all fine and very good value. Because they're leather, there's a bit of warmth in them as opposed to the Gill rubber ones.
    Gloves are much of a muchness IMO - but I wear full-fingered ones for racing as I've torn too many nails before - they get very soft in the damp - but maybe that's a girlie thing!

I've been keeping an eye out for Lidl/Aldi sailing gear as my sis needs to kit herself out for heading to Scotland later this year - but there's no sign of the gear yet. Last year they had really good stuff, both light inshore and heavier offshore gear. I'm still hoping it'll appear, so keep an eye out on their websites - it could be a real bargain.

Thanks again for the replies!

Thought I'd be a bit more specific about the Sailing - its out of Dun Laoghaire with a club. Pottering around trying to get a bit of experience for doing my Day Skipper / Yacht Master (eventually). It's a 33' keel boat and a 24' - both occasionally race with varying degrees of 'seriousness'. There also might be the occasional time I'd go crew for someone else if they were stuck.

I suppose I'm looking for the cheapest catch all solution bearing in mind we sail all year round. Hoping the stuff listed will do in November if I add a good jacket and warm under-ware! Any clue how long the BR1s should last used twice a week?

Day Skipper / Yacht Master / Any holiday are done in Spain or Greece so really its just a pair shorts then :)

Gear will wear out in a few years, no matter how good it is, if you're racing - cruising where you're just basically sitting on your bum is completely different, and a lot easier on gear!

If the November sailing you're talking about is Dublin Bay racing, then a good set of thermals and plenty layers will do you just fine. If you're talking about longer trips (which I doubt, at that time of year!), then you'll need proper gear from inside to out.

And don't be fooled by sailing in Spain or Greece and think it's all shorts and tee-shirts! I sailed to northern Spain a few years ago - it was my first offshore trip, and I had no notion of what to expect. Two hours out of La Coruna I was literally wearing every stitch of clothing I possessed, I was like the Michelin Man, and only just warm - two hours later we were basking in the marina in 35 degrees. You'll need gear over there as well, take my word for it!

I'm now killed wondering what boat(s) you're on! I race in DL as well, may well meet you on the water at some point!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Any clue how long the BR1s should last used twice a week?
    Again depends on crew position.

I bought a pair last June and the knees were torn by August, however I'm the Bowman and the conditions on the Bow can be a little harsher than other positions.
    They are easily repaired though, and I've stuck on patches with good results.

Likewise my €200+ Dubarry boots(which as Heidi has suggested were bought at a discounted price in the factory shop at Ballinsloe), lasted a year!. However echoing early made points, as I work on the foredeck I find dingy booties suit the condition there even better than the Dubarrys.

Again depends on crew position.

I bought a pair last June and the knees were torn by August, however I'm the Bowman and the conditions on the Bow can be a little harsher than other positions.
    They are easily repaired though, and I've stuck on patches with good results.

Likewise my €200+ Dubarry boots(which as Heidi has suggested were bought at a discounted price in the factory shop at Ballinsloe), lasted a year!. However echoing early made points, as I work on the foredeck I find dingy booties suit the condition there even better than the Dubarrys.

I wore the arse of my Musto legs out after a couple of years racing (similar to BR1) - but did very presentable patching jobs with spinnaker repair tape, which kept them good for another two years at least!

Advertisement