Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional RAM Question

Options
  • 24-01-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a Dell Dimision 8100 1.7Ghz (Year 2001) with 256MB PC800 RDRAM (2x128MB) running on XP
    I am looking to add more RAM or do you think for such an old PC is it worth it. It does what I need it for Word Processing, Email, Accounts. Its just running very slow and takes a while to start up.

I have 4 slots and checking online I think it upgradeable to 1GB. If I want to keep the existing RAM would I have to put another 2 x 128MB in the free vacent 2 slots that would bring it up to 512MB would that make much of a difference or would I be better off going for 4 x 256MB or 2 x 512MB

I was looking at this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Certified-Dimension-2X512MB-PC800-40/dp/B0017T4VCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327416808&sr=8-1

I would appreciate all comments, suggestions, recommendations etc.

Thanks,

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

It would be remiss of the forum not to suggest a new build in this (and almost every other) case! :D

If you have a few quid:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €336.70 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€107.34
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€42.25
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€31.84
    Samsung SpinPoint F4 320GB, SATA II (HD322GJ)|€75.00
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz|€31.61
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.03
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.63
    Hoperfully this will last you another 10 years! (Thanks to deconduo for the build)

Seriously, a RAM upgrade may add some extra speed, but it's unlikely to work wonders. A format of your HDD and a clean windows install may help too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Markd250 wrote: »
    It would be remiss of the forum not to suggest a new build in this (and almost every other) case! :D

If you have a few quid:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €336.70 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€107.34
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€42.25
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€31.84
    Samsung SpinPoint F4 320GB, SATA II (HD322GJ)|€75.00
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz|€31.61
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.03
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.63
    Hoperfully this will last you another 10 years! (Thanks to deconduo for the build)

Seriously, a RAM upgrade may add some extra speed, but it's unlikely to work wonders. A format of your HDD and a clean windows install may help too though.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the suggestion regarding the new build, the price seems good. However this is only used as a small office PC and suits my needs at the minute, I'm not looking for a hugh performance boost but it could do with a format of the HDD and a fresh windows install which I will probably do. I also ordered the RAM in my original post works out at €61 all in for 1 GB so for that money its worth shot!

Just being curious would the new build price include the build or would you have to build yourself?? Its something I would.nt mind doing at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

You would have to build it yourself, but i think you can get them to do that for an extra €20 or €30, sorry i'm unsure only seen it referenced here, i'm sure someone will be along to clarify. Formatting your hard drive will definitely help. For reinstalling programs at the base level use ninite.com they have a handy installer where you can just tick the software you need and they download and install everything for you

Deconduo's build Markd250 posted though would be a huge overhaul if your thinking about it, well worth it if you find the computer still struggling after your upgrade. Best of luck

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If its just an office computer then even something like this would be fine:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €205.04 + €30 shipping
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€36.94
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€42.83
    OCZ Vertex Plus 30GB SSD SATA 6,4cm (2,5")|€42.25
    Xigmatek Asgard II Midi Tower - black/black, ohne Netzteil|€31.61
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.06
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9|€18.35

Throw Ubuntu onto it and you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Im not too up to date with all this computer stuff.. But i do recall him asking about which type of ram or memory he should buy..!

Soo enough with new builds and help the man.. !!

Oh btw.. A 30gb ssd..? Wat is the freaking point.??!!!!

• Advertisement

If you look at his post above you'll see he's already bought the ram he was questioning, now it's just sort of a follow up of if he still aint happy once his upgrade arrives :P

Thanks Guys for all the replies, I'll post back when I get the RAM due next week and give an update. I'll also try get to formatting the HD.
    Throw Ubuntu onto it and you're flying.
    Deconduo, you reckon this is worth trying as an OS ??

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys for all the replies, I'll post back when I get the RAM due next week and give an update. I'll also try get to formatting the HD.

Deconduo, you reckon this is worth trying as an OS ??

Ubuntu will run way faster on your current computer. It has all the software you want from a general PC unless you use software that's only available on Windows. It has a web browser, office programs, video players, music players etc. It's worth your while looking into and Ubuntu is easy to use for beginners.

Ubuntu will run way faster on your current computer. It has all the software you want from a general PC unless you use software that's only available on Windows. It has a web browser, office programs, video players, music players etc. It's worth your while looking into and Ubuntu is easy to use for beginners

I might give it a go and see how I get on, although I have a few softwear packages that are probably windows dependent so from that point of view Ubuntu may not be suitable.
    I'm confident that the new Ram and reformating the HD should improve things.
    I reformatted & did a clean install recently on another PC that was starting to get sluggish and its running like a dream now!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Yeah, a clean install is a much better way to speed things up than adding more memory - not that the extra RAM will hurt!

• Advertisement

licenses for software don't transfer between operating systems either, linux has an awful lot of open source, but if this is going to be an office computer i would recommend getting to grips with unix on a home computer before bringing it into a production environment

Just an up date - new Ram - 1GB arrived yesterday, have it installed this evening, definately an improvement, however I still need to do a clean install of OS and format HD etc.

Thanks for all the posts etc.

Advertisement