Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trout Genetic Survey Results

Options
  • 24-01-2012 5:03pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Dr Martin O'Grady to present results of trout genetic survey.

Last year Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) launched a project to conduct a genetic survey of Boyne trout stocks. Angling clubs on the River Boyne participated by encouraging its members to gather scale samples and record details of length and location. The results of this exercise is being presented by Dr Martin O'Grady of IFI next February 6th February 2012.

All are welcome:-

BECTIVE SUITE
    TRIM CASTLE HOTEL
    8PM
    FREE ADMISSION

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

No doubt this will be an event not to be missed.
    The results will have implications on nearly all the angling clubs of the Boyne.

I fully intend going.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I'd go to this if I live nearer..

There was a very good talk by a guy from the WTT (wish had similar org over here!) at the Galway Fly fair a few months back on the genetic make up of river trout both here and the UK.

The diagrams were quite detailed and gave a lot of information but the upshot was wild trout from a sample of rivers have a very broad genetic makeup, stocked fish a very slim makeup. The thinking being wild fish have built up tolerances to all sorts of natural challenges, floods, varied habitats, different food sources. Stocking wild rivers/lakes with farmed fish even brownies is pointless as these fish do not have the gene's for the long haul...

It made sense at the time!:)

If you guys attend, please post an update.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

whelzer wrote: »

If you guys attend, please post an update.

Normally I wouldn't miss these talks. I'd usually be there with my camera to take a few shots for the club website. Unfortunately that night clashes with something else and I can't make it so maybe Bizzum might fill us in on the findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

that will be worth going to, thanks for posting.

• Advertisement

Prior to this genetic analysis we could only speculate as to where the Sea Trout were originating within the Boyne. It seems clear cut now, at least when the samples were taken. It would be a great job to sample again over time.
    I see the Kells Blackwater throws up a very exciting result!

Bizzum wrote: »
    I see the Kells Blackwater throws up a very exciting result!

it does, i have often wondered where the larger blackwater trout come from.

it does, i have often wondered where the larger blackwater trout come from.

Maybe they are the genetically distinct trout that turned up, and maybe not..............One way to find though..................

More genetic sampling:). A lot of the spadework has now been done, so roll it out specifically on the Blackwater!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭MacraPat

I though the results on the Mattock Trout absolutely fascinating, hopefully this will lead to some joined up thinking to make the Boyne the best Brown trout catchment in western europe.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

As I said earlier I couldn't make this talk but from what I've heard so far it was fascinating.
    Anyone that was at it care to give us a run down on the findings?

• Advertisement

As I only type with one finger I'll give the bones of the main findings.

1. There are no main stem Boyne Trout.

2. 94% of Trout caught by anglers for this survey came from 6 tribs.

3. 65% came from 3 tribs. Trimblestown, Stoneyford and Knightsbrook rivers.

4. 2 of the larger tribs (Deel and Kells BW) contribute little to the Boyne main stem.

5. A 2nd unique strain of Kells BW trout are entirely sedentary ie they dont migrate/interbreed.

6. The Mattock contributes very little to the Boyne U/S Slane, and are unrelated to the other groups indicating probable Sea Trout population.

7. There are 5 discreet strains of Trout in the catchment, one of which in the Kells BW is very special in conservation terms.

The data will have major implications on future enhancement programmes on the Boyne catchment and would suggest joined up thinking between many of the angling clubs will prove beneficial.

Now............... Any questions?:)

A union or federation of all trout angling clubs on the whole system is something to consider.
    The presentation was very good and informative, i enjoyed it. I only hope that the tribs that are perceived not to contribute do not get 'forgotten' to some extent.
    It would be great to see a survey from 1000 trout it might give more accurate results.
    Blackwater trout do not migrate into the Boyne in any great numbers, begs the question are they heading north into Ramor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Bizzum wrote: »
    As I only type with one finger I'll give the bones of the main findings.

1. There are no main stem Boyne Trout.

2. 94% of Trout caught by anglers for this survey came from 6 tribs.

3. 65% came from 3 tribs. Trimblestown, Stoneyford and Knightsbrook rivers.

4. 2 of the larger tribs (Deel and Kells BW) contribute little to the Boyne main stem.

5. A 2nd unique strain of Kells BW trout are entirely sedentary ie they dont migrate/interbreed.

6. The Mattock contributes very little to the Boyne U/S Slane, and are unrelated to the other groups indicating probable Sea Trout population.

7. There are 5 discreet strains of Trout in the catchment, one of which in the Kells BW is very special in conservation terms.

The data will have major implications on future enhancement programmes on the Boyne catchment and would suggest joined up thinking between many of the angling clubs will prove beneficial.

Now............... Any questions?:)
    Intriguing stuff.
    This 'no main stem Boyne trout' business: does this mean that there is no resident/sedentary and genetically distinct strain in the main river?

It would be interesting to hear if local anglers' observations of the physical characteristics of the Kells BW and Deel trout, support the survey's findings.
    In other words, would you know a Deel trout from a Kells BW or Boyne trout just by looking at them?

slowburner wrote: »
    Intriguing stuff.
    This 'no main stem Boyne trout' business: does this mean that there is no resident/sedentary and genetically distinct strain in the main river?

It would be interesting to hear if local anglers' observations of the physical characteristics of the Kells BW and Deel trout, support the survey's findings.
    In other words, would you know a Deel trout from a Kells BW or Boyne trout just by looking at them?

Answer to first question appears to be yes. Trout do not spawn in the main channel.

I dont fish the deel, but i do fish the blackwater often, and i would imagine that it is impossible to tell them apart by looking at them.
    According to Dr O Grady and his team there is no such thing as a Boyne trout.

slowburner wrote: »
    Intriguing stuff.

Correct. That's exactly what the results point to. Main stem Boyne Trout originated in one or more of the Boyne tribs.

Over the years I'v handled a lot of Trout both from the Boyne and all of it's tribs. I never compared their physical characteristics per se, but off the top..........They all look much the same to me. It does beg the question though........I must start taking photos!

Personally I'm intrigued by the unique Trout strain in the Kells BW.
    There seems no good reason why they don't interbreed, and it's thought perhaps a temporally spaced spawning season could account for it. Two very distinct spawning runs, and never the twain shall meet!
    Hopefully follow up work could be done to answer some of these questions.

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-releases/a-pioneering-study-of-the-genetic-makeup-of-brown-trout-stocks-in-the-boyne-catchment.html

Couple of diagrams of interest.

Advertisement