Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to Dog Owners

Options
  • 24-01-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

While out walking my dog on the Dunmore Road last night I walked by two lads, I'd estimate between 18-22 as I couldn't see them properly as they were standing in from the street-lights, standing in from the main road on that little one-way strip at the front of Viewmount. As I walked past them I heard them discussing taking my dog "What about that dog? Will we grab him?" I was terrified as I no way would have been able to stop them so I turned and ran back out onto the main road and straight home. I'm absolutely not ever taking my little man out on my own again. :( Just wanted to post so peoples dogs are kept safe :( (Maybe this may be better posted in the animals and pets issues?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Better here I'd say, local issue and all. I seriously wonder about people if this is the kinda shít they get up too. Even if they were "messing" and trying to get a reaction what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What kinda dog is it?

As Ive said here before, ours(a whippet) always gets loads of attention from travellers especially. mad since they abandoned her in the 1st place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Report it to the boys in blue, even if nothing comes of your episode it might give the shickalonies a picture of what's going on in that area.
    Also, Dunmore Road area is very rough, maybe you shouldn't head out at night alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

He's a staffie cross and he's ridiculously friendly with strangers so I'd have no hope in him running away or anything. I just got such a fright with all the dogs being stolen all over the place but I hadn't heard of people stealing dogs out walking down here. I also had a grumpy little man to deal with for the night after getting his walk cut short :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

longshanks wrote: »
    Report it to the boys in blue, even if nothing comes of your episode it might give the shickalonies a picture of what's going on in that area.
    Also, Dunmore Road area is very rough, maybe you shouldn't head out at night alone.

What are you talking about exactly?? If anything it's quiet the opposite!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i had a similar experience one evening in johns park with 3 men (about early 20s) talking about my English Springer Spaniel as i was walking past..was very unsettling..not saying anything to me but just commenting on him and saying "how much would you pay for one of them"..put me on edge a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

German Shepherds for all - that'll make them think twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Was reading in the paper alright about people scabbing dogs and selling them in england. I'd be lost without my little fella, Some legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

He's a staffie cross and he's ridiculously friendly with strangers so I'd have no hope in him running away or anything. I just got such a fright with all the dogs being stolen all over the place but I hadn't heard of people stealing dogs out walking down here. I also had a grumpy little man to deal with for the night after getting his walk cut short :D

You could well be surprised how savage he could turn on anyone you fear or feel threatened by!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

They were obviously on the wind up,

Two young lads against a man and his dog, what are you afraid of man?

You had the upper hand in this situation!

You should have walked over to them and asked them what they were on about.

Im guessing they were around 15 or 16 in reality, only young lads acting hard is all and you took the bait from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ikeano29 wrote: »
    They were obviously on the wind up,

Two young lads against a man and his dog, what are you afraid of man?

You had the upper hand in this situation!

You should have walked over to them and asked them what they were on about.

Im guessing they were around 15 or 16 in reality, only young lads acting hard is all and you took the bait from them.

I'm guessing it was a lady and her dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

longshanks wrote: »

Dodgie area alright, with all the gangbangers and drive bys its like compton. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

I'm guessing it was a lady and her dog :rolleyes:

Yup....I defo wasn't a man last time I checked :D

Haha you checked. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Thanks for the heads-up OP. You should report it to the Gardaí just so they have it on record at least. You never know, they might have had other reports of similar behaviour.

It's very possible they were taking the piss but you can't be too sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

I think I've seen the two you describe snooping around Grantstown as well. Did one of them have a stick?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up OP. You should report it to the Gardaí just so they have it on record at least. You never know, they might have had other reports of similar behaviour.

It's very possible they were taking the piss but you can't be too sure.
    Its ok. Your two fellas be grand. Your father and them Wellies will scare them away.
    My stupid dog growled at your fathers two last week.my dog is tiny but he gotta lot of fight in him. Lol

seanybiker wrote: »
    Its ok. Your two fellas be grand. Your father and them Wellies will scare them away.
    My stupid dog growled at your fathers two last week.my dog is tiny but he gotta lot of fight in him. Lol

Ah I wouldn't worry about them as my father is usually with them. It's our own four I'd be worried about! My wife would often be on her own with the standard poodle like.

Ah I wouldn't worry about them as my father is usually with them. It's our own four I'd be worried about! My wife would often be on her own with the standard poodle like.

Oh right. According to the paper its jack russels that are the most robbed. That's the paper though so wouldn't worry about that.
    Mind the poodle. Chap loving a few doors up from me had his labradoodle robbed a few months back. It was found down the dip in a Turkish families back garden. Not saying its non nationals doing it all because according to paper its not but just letting ya know.
    I know nkay and whoever else here from hillview will know the area I'm on about is all

Oh right. According to the paper its jack russels that are the most robbed. That's the paper though so wouldn't worry about that.
    Mind the poodle. Chap loving a few doors up from me had his labradoodle robbed a few months back. It was found down the dip in a Turkish families back garden. Not saying its non nationals doing it all because according to paper its not but just letting ya know.
    I know nkay and whoever else here from hillview will know the area I'm on about is all

I hope the fcukers got a nice present from the owner of the dog as, no doubt, they would have just claimed the dog ran away and turned up at their door.

• Advertisement

I hope the fcukers got a nice present from the owner of the dog as, no doubt, they would have just claimed the dog ran away and turned up at their door.
    they got a fright alright when mates friend called in to get the dog back. Wont say the fellas name on here but lets just say they wilmot do it again ;)

There was no violence at all. He just went in and took the dog back

they got a fright alright when mates friend called in to get the dog back. Wont say the fellas name on here but lets just say they wilmot do it again ;)

Ah yeah no need for violence but a good fright is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i dont mean to sound sexist but i dont like the idea of women/girls going walking on their own when its dark anyway. even if they have thier dog. im from limerick so im not saying its a waterford thing. its too dangerous this day and age to be walking in dark quiet areas on your own.

again i dont mean it to sound sexist but the amount of women and girls being abducted or attacked in the last couple of years is shocking.

that been said the girlfriend is stubborn about being off on her own. worst thing is she walks around this field up by meadowbank. its really dark in there. fair enough though she has a labradour who is huge so would probably scare off anyone:D

if you insist on being out like that just make sure your safe. make sure someone knows where your going and when. try to stick to well lit areas and as busy areas as possible.

hopefully those scum bags where messing about taking the little fella. im just glad they didnt and they didnt try anything else.

hope i didnt scare you its just something that people should take seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

You may want to get a second opinion.....Shall I check for ya? Gissa look.....

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I also had a grumpy little man to deal with for the night after getting his walk cut short :D

You should have let your "grumpy little man" carry on by himself and take his walk if you wanted to take the dog home.

On the other hand if there were two of you could just leash the dog. It's unlikely that the bowsies would try and take a leashed dog from two people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Was this a long time ago or was it the Father?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Condatis wrote: »
    You should have let your "grumpy little man" carry on by himself and take his walk if you wanted to take the dog home.

On the other hand if there were two of you could just leash the dog. It's unlikely that the bowsies would try and take a leashed dog from two people.

That makes no sense :confused:
    The "grumpy little man" is the dog and it was just her and the dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MARSH78

Whether they were messing or not, its still intimidation and it just goes to show the type of scum that's around. No matter what age they were it shouldn't have happened and especially to a lady taking her dog for a walk. Nothing better to do, just pure filth!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Ladies always bring a mobile phone when out walking... when passing scumbags just pretend your talking to somebody and they'll say nothing..

After a few tries you'll realise this works and eventually you'll get brave enough to say out loud when passing "hang on just passing a few scumbags who are thinking about anoying me" this usually gets them where it hurts e.g. their ego's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

That makes no sense :confused:
    The "grumpy little man" is the dog and it was just her and the dog

What! She calls her dog a grumpy little man! Here was I feeling pity for the poor sod I thought she was describing.

This leads to a whole new train of thought.

Advertisement