Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xexmenu virgin questions!

• 24-01-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭

Evening all.
    I've recently purchased a jtagged 360 with XEXMenu.
    I've tried to connect an external hdd, but it wasn't recognised. A bit of googling has told me to format the hdd to FAT32, which I'm gonna do later.
    I'm assuming this is all I need to do to get it recognised?

My next (potential) problem is how to store my stuff on said external hdd. At the minute I have them in individual folders with both the .iso and .mds files in each. Should all stuff be in folders, or all in the root directory?

Thanks guys.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Soarer wrote: »
    My next (potential) problem is how to store...

From the charter
    DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN RELATION TO BACKING UP/RIPPING GAMES. THIS INCLUDES WHERE/HOW OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION RELATED TO DOWNLOADING GAMES
    DO NOT LINK TO SITES THAT HAVE INFORMATION ON THE ABOVE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Post edited.

Query sorted in any case, so thread can be closed/deleted. Thanks.

Post edited.

Query sorted in any case, so thread can be closed/deleted. Thanks.

Did the Fat32 thing do the trick?

Don't know yet! :eek:

Probably though. One of the posters here is sorting me out via pm. I had to download a couple of exe files, extract a file ;), and move it to the hdd in question.
    Doing all that stuff at the minute, so once I've one thing on the hdd, I'll plug her in and see what happens.

I hate being new at things!:o

Probably though. One of the posters here is sorting me out via pm. I had to download a couple of exe files, extract a file ;), and move it to the hdd in question.
    Doing all that stuff at the minute, so once I've one thing on the hdd, I'll plug her in and see what happens.

Exe files?? A jtag should automatically recognize any Fat32 formatted drive without extra work to my knowledge.

Without offending the user who's helping you, always run everything through an anti-virus also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Have you copied the FSD folder and launch.ini to the root of the Hdd? Freestyle Dash will replace Xexmenu, you need to prepare the Hdd with guiformat.exe (scan it with AV software as suggested) this will format it to fat32 so it's compatible with the Xbox.

Give me an idea where you are at in regard to the instructions above.

Sorry for taking so long to get back.

Anyways, it's up and running at the minute, but not 100%. but I'll get to that/those isues!:p

Going back to the exe files. One was to format the external hdd to FAT32. The other is for extracting things to a readable format. Both exe files have done their job superbly, and the extracting side of things is nearly finished.

Now to my issue(s).
    I'm getting what looks like a normal Xbox dashboard, with 4 or 5 options along the top, and below that there's a changing image of what's about xbox. Surrounding that is "play game", etc.
    However, the external hdd wasn't being recognised. So I tried to be clever and edit the ini file to point to the external hdd (Usb0) on both the external and xbox hdd (renamed hdd to Usb0 in the file).
    This seems to work, but only with the installation disc supplied with the xbox. I go into "play game", and the games appear in a list, with the images scraped from wherever. So it's working, but not 100%.
    Apparently I have to add the content path to my Hdd in content settings. Don't know how to do that though.

I'll get there eventually!:o

I'm gonna do my nut in a minute!

I've finally set the game path correctly, and have lovely cover art and screenshots. I can only assume this means I've done that part correctly.
    The thing that's catching me is that it all happens within freestyle dash, which the machine doesn't automatically boot to.
    So in order for me to access my library, I have to access the install disc, scroll across into hdd, down to the fsd folder, and then click the file to run fsd.
    Surely there's a way that it should boot automatically into fsd?
    Or maybe I've done something wrong, and the games should be viewable in my games library in the new style dashboard?

Blooming' flip!

Change the launch.ini back to hdd thats all!

justryan wrote: »

You're a flingin' flangin' legend! Finally it seems to be doing what it should! Probably too tired to play anything now though! ;)

Next step is to get into homebrew and emulators, but I'll probably leave that til another time!

While you're awake, do you know anything about changing the artwork? Singularity has scraped the details of Wolverine.
    Only a small thing, but the OCD won't let it go!

Thanks Ryan.

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »

You're a flingin' flangin' legend! Finally it seems to be doing what it should! Probably too tired to play anything now though! ;)

Next step is to get into homebrew and emulators, but I'll probably leave that til another time!

While you're awake, do you know anything about changing the artwork? Singularity has scraped the details of Wolverine.
    Only a small thing, but the OCD won't let it go!

Thanks Ryan.

Your welcome, take it to PM its a gray area

Advertisement