Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th Subject For Leaving Cert

• 24-01-2012 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm currently picking my Leaving Cert subjects and I have the option to take up Classical Studies after school for an hour a week every week as a 8th subject and I was wondering,

Is a 8th subject worth it? Or should I just work hard at 7?

I want to get around 450 - 500 points in the leaving cert and i can achieve this but will this help or hinder me? I don't need classical studies for anything, I got a B in it in Junior cert, Just should I do it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Depends on whether all your subjects are higher level. If they all will be then Classics probably isn't worth it, but if you think you will do one subject at ordinary level then having an extra subject can be useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

Well I'm a repeat so I had the chance to re-choose my subjects this year.
    I originally started in September doing nine subjects, but that was far too much work so I dropped one.
    In December, I found that I wasn't too happy with one of my subjects, so I dropped that too.
    So I'm doing 7 now (the same number I did last year) and I think thats enough!
    If you're confident in your choices and like your subjects, then I think 7 is plenty to be concentrating on.
    You may think early on that you'll be able for them but as the exams approach, trust me, you'll feel overwhelmed with work and study!
    Thats my opinion anyway!
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you want to do an 8th subject pick the one that will require the least amount of effort for the highest reward in terms of points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i say do it , im in 5th year and i wanted to do it but nowhere to go really
    done it for the junior instead of irish and i thought it was very good,
    what are you going to lose
    an hour a week... think what will you do in that hour go home and sit in front of the tv ?

Advertisement