Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of tree is this?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick one, what is the name of this tree, or the family will do as well.

tree.jpg

Thanks
    Ronald
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Too difficult to tell, there is a bit of a look of ash about some of the branches, but I suspect they are not from the main tree but are part of a tree beside it. It could possibly be a beech or a sycamore, but they are just guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Seems like an ash alright, but the picture isn't really sharp enough to be sure. Are there black buds at the ends of all the twigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thanks guys. A friend of mine thought it was a Populus. I now have looked at photos of an Ash Tree and I think that could also be it... Hmmmm.... the plot thickens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Don't think it's Ash myself.
    I'd guess Beech although it could be Poplar (not the columnar type).
    Very hard to tell conclusively without a close up of the branch tips, no view of the trunk and of course, no leaves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Poncke wrote: »
    Thanks guys. A friend of mine thought it was a Populus. I now have looked at photos of an Ash Tree and I think that could also be it... Hmmmm.... the plot thickens.

If you can get a small twig off of it,or a small branch that might be lying on the ground beneath the tree,then take it to to a garden centre/nursery that grows,stocks and sells bare roots and trees.

They should be able to tell you.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement