Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Router Broken?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Well the problem with the router is that the internet just stops working at various times throughout the day showing a red light. I then switch it off for 10 seconds and turn it back on and usually the DSL and Internet light will not come on. I usually have to repeat this process literally about 50 times before the two lights come on. And then sometimes just a few minutes later the Internet light goes red again. Or it will either stop working hours later. Only the wireless light stays on. The router is a Netopia 2247NWG and I've had it since 2007 so I think it's time to get a new one but I looked on the Eircom website and they're 50 euro, which I cannot afford. I'm just wondering could this be paid off in installments on my phone/broadband bill or does this have to be an upfront payment. Thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

DitzyPoo92 wrote: »
    Well the problem with the router is that the internet just stops working at various times throughout the day showing a red light. I then switch it off for 10 seconds and turn it back on and usually the DSL and Internet light will not come on. I usually have to repeat this process literally about 50 times before the two lights come on. And then sometimes just a few minutes later the Internet light goes red again. Or it will either stop working hours later. Only the wireless light stays on. The router is a Netopia 2247NWG and I've had it since 2007 so I think it's time to get a new one but I looked on the Eircom website and they're 50 euro, which I cannot afford. I'm just wondering could this be paid off in installments on my phone/broadband bill or does this have to be an upfront payment. Thanks:)

Hi DitzyPoo92,

Thanks for posting on the eircom /Boards Forum.

The modem itself, may not be the source of this problem and there may not be a reported connection problem in your area.

As your modem is over it's 12 month warantee, you obviously won't be able to get a free replacement modem, unless you decide to re-new your eircom contact. However you do have the option of purchasing a new modem from Sales, at approximately 50% discount. You also have a choice of purchasing your own, or second hand Adsl compatible modem.

My advice before you go to any expense of replacing your modem is to take a look at your internal broadband setup.

Intermittent connections, intermittent sync or authentication problems, are often be caused by interference on your own internal phone wiring.

To see if your internal setup is responsible for your intermittent connection, please take a look at the following Technical Support BB troubleshooting suggestions:

Firstly, ensure your broadband modem is correctly connected on the main phone socket (mdp), entering into your premises:

Restart the modem:

Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

*It is important that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For example: Long private telephone cables or secondary phone sockets within your premises.

Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

Ensure that all secondary phone sockets are 'Filtered' using the correct Adsl Filter (and not the Adsl Splitter). If you have problems with your secondary phone extension(s), you may need to assistance from a vendor (3rd party or electrician).

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

If you are unsure about this, take a look at our Broaband Checklist below

Broadband Checklist

Once you have checked this, try your connection again.
    Don't worry too much about connecting over wireless until you have resolved your intermittent connection problem first.

If still having a problem then perhaps try to hard reset the modem. Ensure you do this correctly as follows, and please read the accompaning advice on our Forum website:

Resetting the Modem

Once you have tried the above and still experiencing intermittent connections, then you may attempt a reset or the eircom modem. Please be advised that this is the last measure you should take. There is no need to reset the modem more than once. Follow the instructions below to do this correctly :

Resetting the Modem

Completing the Checklist (above) will ensure that you have tested the modem as advised by Technical Support. If you still need to call eircom Technical Support after this, please see contact information below.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DitzyPoo92

Thanks for the help. The router is most definitely the problem and I have ordered the router from the Eircom website and charged it to my next bill. Just have to wait for it to be delivered now. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

As your modem is over it's 12 month warantee, you obviously won't be able to get a free replacement modem, unless you decide to re-new your eircom contact

Hi,

I just renewed my eircom contract in december (upgraded my package), my router is now giving me problems I have had it about 5 - 6 years now and have renewed my contract twice since.

Am I now eligible for a replacement router (or should I have been offered this when I upgraded and renewed my contract?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

foghlu wrote: »
    Hi,

I just renewed my eircom contract in december (upgraded my package), my router is now giving me problems I have had it about 5 - 6 years now and have renewed my contract twice since.

Am I now eligible for a replacement router (or should I have been offered this when I upgraded and renewed my contract?)

Thanks foghlu,

Can you PM me with your eircom Account number and I will look into your query.

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Thanks foghlu,

Can you PM me with your eircom Account number and I will look into your query.

Regards,
    Ant

Hi Ant

PM sent, thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement