Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Source of culinary rabbit in cork

Options
  • 24-01-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a supply of fresh rabbit ? Tried my local butcher & he says it's difficult to get.

I've tried the English market but only two stalls sell it and it's frozen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Ask over in the hunting forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

There are still some places around the country that sell snares. If you want to go to the trouble of finding rabbit tracks and setting one up. Its well worth it in the end! Just be sure to have the landowners permission ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Volovo wrote: »
    There are still some places around the country that sell snares. If you want to go to the trouble of finding rabbit tracks and setting one up. Its well worth it in the end! Just be sure to have the landowners permission ;)

Thanks but I'm a cook rather than hunter - there must be butchers with access to decent rabbit ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Davide.

This would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know you said your not a hunter but anywho snares are cruel do not use them....gun ok fine nice and quick...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

The Afro/Caribbean shop on Bridge Street may have some, although probably frozen too. Maybe the market butchers have only frozen rabbit due to the time of year? Last time I went enquiring about rabbit it was plentiful and fresh, they quarter it up for you and everything.

Milly33 wrote: »
    I know you said your not a hunter but anywho snares are cruel do not use them....gun ok fine nice and quick...

I've no intention of going after them myself in any fashion besides, haven't seen that many in Douglas recently :)

I'm looking for a trustworthy supplier of good quality ethically sourced produce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Ethical? Its an ickle bunny wabbit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

How about GIY?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

O'Flynns of Marlboro St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Andip wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a supply of fresh rabbit ? Tried my local butcher & he says it's difficult to get.

I've tried the English market but only two stalls sell it and it's frozen

I asked in two different butchers "where would I get rabbit" (not A rabbit, just rabbit), they said a pet shop. They were seriously thinking I wanted a pet rabbit! Idiots.

It's frozen nearly everywhere I'm afraid :/

donalh087 wrote: »
    O'Flynns of Marlboro St.

Thanks I'll try them, hopefully not frozen like the stalls in the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

If its any help, I used to deliver fresh(farmed) rabbit to o'flynns many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've bought fresh rabbit from O'Sullivan's Poultry by the fountain in The English Market for €7.50. They only get them in intermittently but you can order them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Are you going to share the recipe Andip ? :D

I got the rabbit !! - thanks for the help guys.....

& Curly, the recipe I use came from a friends mother in Spain while I was living there & is foolproof - once prepped its just a one pot job.

1 medium rabbit
    4 oz. Serrano ham (the thicker stuff as you need to cube it)
    1/2 Spanish onion
    2 large garlic cloves
    1/2 lb. button mushrooms
    1 large ripe tomato
    handful of parsley
    1 sprig fresh thyme - can use dried
    Good slosh of brandy
    8 oz. dry white wine (must be drinkable as rest is for the cook !)
    8 oz water

Joint the rabbit into pieces, legs, haunch, saddle - its dead easy, just follow the lines - the only bit you cant really use are the ribs - just joint everything else into equal size bits - you end up with 8 jointed bits. Butcher will happily do this.

Chop up the peeled onion and garlic.
    Cut the ham into small pieces and set aside.
    Chop tomato into small cubes.
    Slice the mushrooms
    Chop the parsley

In a heavy based pan, heat 3-4 tbsp olive oil, fry the onion and garlic until softened. Add the cubed Serrano & have a glass of wine for yourself. When the onion is just colouring, take out everything with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl leaving the oil in the pan.

You will probably need a dash more oil in the pan, add the rabbit pieces and fry lightly until just browning on both sides - few mins should do.

Lower the heat and add all of the other ingredients except the mushrooms. Simmer on hob with lid OFF for 30 mins, add the mushrooms and keep simmering for anything between 15-30 mins depending on the thickness of sauce you are looking for. The rabbit will be done after about 45 mins, so last 15 mins if down to preference.

Crusty bread, another glass of wine and away you go !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

That recipe sounds delightful. I am looking forward to trying that out as a nice Easter lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Are you going to share where you got the rabbit or keep it to yourself to stop us buying it all up ;)

Ludo wrote: »
    Are you going to share where you got the rabbit or keep it to yourself to stop us buying it all up ;)

O'Sullivans in the market - just struck lucky that they had some, but I'm quite sure they dont have any more, so not worth trying lol :rolleyes: ahem

Thanks Andip that sounds YUM... pictures to follow ? :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Andip that sounds YUM... pictures to follow ? :)

Me or the rabbit lol :pac:

Whichever is tastier :D but I had the rabbit in mind !

Whichever is tastier :D but I had the rabbit in mind !

Tough call lol - but I'll post the rabbit as I'm shy :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

The fields by airport.

Down by the dump in little island. Their all over the place up by the airport

Cork24 wrote: »
    The fields by airport.

Down by the dump in little island. Their all over the place up by the airport

Thanks but ive always had an image of happier pastures, clover and grass rather than jet fuel and effluent lol :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vector3

O'Crualaoi in Wilton. Got talking to John I think, he went out and shot one for me. Cleaned it up and vacuum packed it an all. A little expensive at €10, but it was as local and fresh as you'll get without shooting it yourself.

Advertisement