Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone pay full fees and how?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I was a college drop out in 2009 because i wanted to persue other things for a while. However I would like to go back this year but for year one i will have to pay full fees because of the time i left!

So i was just wondering did anyone go back or hear of anyone who went back and paid full fees? How did they get the funds? Did they regret it? Was it worth it? Any advice would be a big help! Getting ~ 7k up for fees is pretty daunting.

I also thought about part time aswell because i wouldnt mind continuing work aswell plus it's easier on the bank account. If anyone has an opinion on that aswell I'd very much welcome that aswell!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

One thing you should remember about part time courses is that you will have to pay full fees for it for every year, as they're not covered under the free fees scheme. You also cannot receive a grant for part time courses.

I suppose the only thing about paying the fees is that at least it won't be a shock. You may be able to sort out a payment plan with the college that you pay off a certain amount of your fees each month etc. It's hard to say whether or not people regret paying that much for a year of college, I suppose it depends on whether you're interested in the course and your plans in the long run and whether it will help get you there.

Would you be applying under the HEAR or DARE schemes? I don't know if every college does that, but I know a few people who got their fees waived because of those schemes. It's something to look into if you are eligible for either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

worked my balls off, weekends summer and night

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

worked my balls off, weekends summer and night
    Sounds delightful. Did you only have to cover 1st year aswell? You happy you went back and saw it through?

Thanks for the advice aswell 'your text'. But no i wont be going through either of those schemes.
    My problem is that i have a good head on my shoulders, but im a terrible student. Just afraid of wasting big money. Then again i suppose that would be an incentive to keep going in itself. At the moment part time seems more appealing. Was thinking of starting with a Higher cert in Business. 3k per year so not too bad. Then perhaps think about a degree. Safer option i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Koffee

Hey Contrails,

I'm in a similar situation to you, I went to TCD for 3 years and then left.
    I worked for a year and am currently back in University in DCU.

From what I have learned, if you entered into a full time FETAC level 7 or Level 8 Qualification and qualified for the free fees, you are entitled to an undergraduate degree whether the duration is 3 or 4 years long ( 5 if doing veterinary or Medicine)

If you leave during first year and have registered for that year; both at the start of the academic year and during re-registration in the second half of that year, you have already claimed for one year of free fees.

But don't despair as that means you have only claimed for one years of tuition. Yes it means you will have to work to pay the fees but it means that the government will pay the remainder fo the tuitions fees for the extent of your Undergraduate.

the tl;dr version is: If you dropped out mid-way through 1st year, the Government will honor all BUT the 1st year of the new degree. You'll have to fill out paperwork saying you were registered there.

Hopefully this information isn't too little too late.

Advertisement