Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culinary Arts - DT407

Options
  • 24-01-2012 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi, I'm looking to do this course and I'd like to ask a few questions and just what people think of it.
    1. Do you have to do the language modules and what are they like? I'll do French if I have to, but I'm terrible at it. Does it involve speaking French fluently or do you only have to learn food vocab?
    2. Important one..can you eat the food you make? and can you cook your lunch in the kitchen or something?
    3. Internship - I heard that some people go to The Fat Duck for their international internship, is that true?
    4. When is the open day?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm in first year of this at the moment.

1) Yes you have to do a language, French, German and Irish continue on from leaving cert level while Italian and Spanish both start from beginners.

2) Yeah you can eat the food you make, you're not strictly meant to bring it with you but the lecturers basically let you take it, if you poison yourself eating it later on its not their fault, they didn't see you take it. You're not allowed into the kitchens to cook your own lunch unfortunately but the canteen is pretty cheap and there's a load of places nearby for food.

3) From what we've been told there have been a few people in the past who have gone over, I'm not entirely sure about that though, I'll be finding out about the placement when we go back next week I think.

4) I don't know if this is true or not but I heard there isn't going to be a cathal brugha street open day this year as it was a mess last year. If it is on I'd say it'll be around march. If you get in touch with the school secretary Fabiola Hand, she'd probably be able to give you more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm in first year of this at the moment.

1) Yes you have to do a language, French, German and Irish continue on from leaving cert level while Italian and Spanish both start from beginners.

2) Yeah you can eat the food you make, you're not strictly meant to bring it with you but the lecturers basically let you take it, if you poison yourself eating it later on its not their fault, they didn't see you take it. You're not allowed into the kitchens to cook your own lunch unfortunately but the canteen is pretty cheap and there's a load of places nearby for food.

3) From what we've been told there have been a few people in the past who have gone over, I'm not entirely sure about that though, I'll be finding out about the placement when we go back next week I think.

4) I don't know if this is true or not but I heard there isn't going to be a cathal brugha street open day this year as it was a mess last year. If it is on I'd say it'll be around march. If you get in touch with the school secretary Fabiola Hand, she'd probably be able to give you more information.

Sorry to bring up an old post, against the rules I know. But this is one of the two most recent threads on the subject, and the other was pretty much off topic. And I wanted to ask a couple of questions based on your post.

Italian isn't listed on the CAO website. But it is on the DIT website. I'd love to do it. Have you heard any opinions on the Italian lectures, or the language part in general?

How do you find the course? What are the lecturers like? What equipment will I need before starting the course? Knives, uniform, hats?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm abroad atm on a visa and want to get back into Uni when I get back.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jene

LD 50 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up an old post, against the rules I know. But this is one of the two most recent threads on the subject, and the other was pretty much off topic. And I wanted to ask a couple of questions based on your post.

Italian isn't listed on the CAO website. But it is on the DIT website. I'd love to do it. Have you heard any opinions on the Italian lectures, or the language part in general?

How do you find the course? What are the lecturers like? What equipment will I need before starting the course? Knives, uniform, hats?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm abroad atm on a visa and want to get back into Uni when I get back.
    thanks
    Hi i completed Dt407 (a few years ago so they may have changed somethings),
    for the languages: The Italian module is taught at very basic level also we only had 3 hours contact time per week for 1 semeseter per year (its was the same with all of the languages for dt407) so you really need to put a lot of personal effort to actualy be able to speak anything at the end of it. That said i did my intenship in Italy and it was great. Our Italian Lec was Etain Watson shes really nice and willing to help you out.

One problem was we couldnt study French or Italian in 4th year which was crazy! i'm not sure if they have done anything about this.
    For the intenship in third year you must travel abroad (unless you can get a circumstance waiver) you can go basically anywhere in the world and yes students have trained at the Fat Duck and lots of other really amazing places.

All of the uniforms and knives were organised by the college but you have to pay for them, I can't remember how much they cost though sorry.

Overall i found the course really interesting you gain a really broad range of food knowledge, some of the best parts for me were running the school restaurant and the overseas placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Cool, thanks.

1 more question for you, how are the kitchens there? Brand new, old? cramped, spacious?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

LD 50 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks.

1 more question for you, how are the kitchens there? Brand new, old? cramped, spacious?

It depends. Some are better than others. Most are fine though and you'll have/will be able to get equipment you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement