Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Fishing in Blessington

Options
  • 24-01-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of heading out there at the weekend with a friend. Neither of us are very experienced anglers but I've landed a few pike before.
    Are we wasting our time or would there be good pike fishing there at this time of year?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

January sees the pike beginning to move towards the shalloer sections of lakes.
    It has been very mild lately, so you could do well.
    But don't forget Blessington is a challenging place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

Blanked on it last Saturday. Found it very difficult to find somewhere decent to fish with no knowledge of the lake. Not that many features close to the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Were you fishing spoons or bait Jodie? What part of the lake did you try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

ball ox wrote: »
    Were you fishing spoons or bait Jodie? What part of the lake did you try?
    Popped up smelt on one rod ,half mackerel on the other , after a couple of hours changed to a few different lures no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Down there today and last saturday. Had a small jack last week nothing today. Its a challenge alright but addictive at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Doesn't sound promising..... Ah sure its a lovely spot, I guess its not about the amount of fish you catch really as long as its a nice day!

It can be good aswell. A friend had a 19 pound pike on thursday so all is not lost. Going by the bite alarms alot of fish are just picking up the bait and letting it go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

kwik wrote: »
    It can be good aswell. A friend had a 19 pound pike on thursday so all is not lost. Going by the bite alarms alot of fish are just picking up the bait and letting it go again.

Is this possible that such "bites" are just crayfish? ( I got one over 20cm in length tangled into some line i hooked).
    many friends is having shy bites like few cm up and down on and on and on...

MarcinG wrote: »
    kwik wrote: »

Is this possible that such "bites" are just crayfish? ( I got one over 20cm in length tangled into some line i hooked).
    many friends is having shy bites like few cm up and down on and on and on...
    It could be cray fish alright but you usually know because most of the time they destroy the bait but when it happens out there the fish was not bad and would have slice marks on them from the teeth. But i would say 70% of the time it is crayfish. They usually eat the stomach out of the bait but a 20 cm one is a catch in itself i have to say

P7120630.JPG

best picture i could find ;)

ps would someone recomend some place to start on blesso?

I have boat permit already tried:
    bays opposite slip (by the damm next to golf course) - no luck
    Bay by the road (by the burgage bridge) 2 got away (fouly hooked on gliders)
    valleymount bridge (saw few on fishfinder but no luck).
    blessington bridge - no luck.

shall i go further pass volleymonut or blessington brodges?

• Advertisement

MarcinG wrote: »
    P7120630.JPG

best picture i could find ;)

ps would someone recomend some place to start on blesso?

I have boat permit already tried:
    bays opposite slip (by the damm next to golf course) - no luck
    Bay by the road (by the burgage bridge) 2 got away (fouly hooked on gliders)
    valleymount bridge (saw few on fishfinder but no luck).
    blessington bridge - no luck.

shall i go further pass volleymonut or blessington brodges?
    Could'nt really recomend any spots on it but would say go as shallow as you can in your boat because ive tried most deep spots to no avail. I have heard up around the old town is fishing well at the moment if you could get up around there you might have some luck they seem to be liking lamprey at the moment aswell. Best of luck anyway for the next time you head out

friends are getting some fish in random spots all over but no more than 2-3 jacks or 1 bigger (90cm+) one no matter how many rods/anglers and whats on the hook...

I know its a crazy lake. I have never blanked anywhere as mush as on that lake it would make you never want to go back. It could have somthing to do wit how low it is at the moment.

Advertisement