Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd Interview advice

Options
  • 24-01-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an interview for a Phd next week and I was hoping that some of you who have been through the procedure could provide some advice. Did you get any strange questions? What would you have done differently? What was it about your interview performance that you attribute to your eventual success? I'm studying psychology and I'm worried they might throw something like "What is the point of cognitive psychology" at me. Anyway, maybe this is something that could be stickied at a future date.

thanks in advance.

Valmont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aunt Arctic

My PhD was in a quite different field (computer science) but maybe this can still be of some help to you or someone else.

Most of my interview was spent talking about an undergrad research project I'd done, even though it was totally unrelated to the PhD topic. But I think the fact that I was very interested and passionate about the project was clear and helped me get the position. So if you have had a chance to do research before, or any relevant project, be willing to talk about it and show your enthusiasm.

I can't remember all the questions but one was that we had some discussions about was what I want to do in the future, do I want an academic career? I said no, I wanted to work in industry eventually, and it didn't go against me :pac: but anyway I think it's important you should have some idea what direction you are going in and why you want to do a PhD.

Advertisement