Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a writen guideline re returning pedigree dogs to a breeder

• 24-01-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

So many times on this forum posters say that if someone has to surrender a dog they should contact the breeder as a good breeder should be willing to take a dog back, regardless of age.

Im wondering is this is an agreed proceedure endorsed by the IKC. I had a look at their site but I can find nothing to support this.

So Im hoping some of you show people/breeders can point me to a written endorsement of this policy by either the IKC, a breed club or similar - or is just an unwritten code.

Please note Im all in favour of this approach and am looking for a written statement to this effect to back an discussion document Im thinking of drafting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Inexile wrote: »
    So many times on this forum posters say that if someone has to surrender a dog they should contact the breeder as a good breeder should be willing to take a dog back, regardless of age.

Im wondering is this is an agreed proceedure endorsed by the IKC. I had a look at their site but I can find nothing to support this.

So Im hoping some of you show people/breeders can point me to a written endorsement of this policy by either the IKC, a breed club or similar - or is just an unwritten code.

Please note Im all in favour of this approach and am looking for a written statement to this effect to back an discussion document Im thinking of drafting

Hi Inexile there is no written statement to this effect it does not exist. What I can tell you from my dealings with breeders is this, most of them individually have their own contract, (not all of them choose contracts) and in this contract it will specify what you should do if you do not want their dog/pup or can not care for it any more.

This is from my dealings with any Rottweiler breeder, I have a contract for my pup Izzy and this clause is in the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Most responsible, reputable breeders will always take a pup they bred back if needs be. They usually have a contract with the new owner that if something goes wrong, the dog must be returned to the breeder.

They will want the pup to be returned because they have a responsibility to the dogs they have bred for their entire lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

A good breeder should have new pet parents sign a contract.
    The contract will state things like the breeder ensures that the pet has been seen by a vet and is healthy. it will include whatever requirements the breeder thinks should be include, ie with ped cats the breeder will more than likely have "cat must be kept indoors or if allowed outside it must be a secure and fully enclosed area". Also included is breeder is first port of call if there is any issue with the pet be it big or small, that the pet cannot be rehomed or sold onto someone.
    A good breeder will always take back a pet that they have bred, always.
    Most breeders will have some time frame with regard to say a refund. It would depend on the age of the pet and what the issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I am still in touch with the breeder of my boy, he's 3 1/2 now, she made it very clear that she expected me to call if there was ever any reason I couldn't keep him. I know she took his brother back at about 18 months old.
    However the breeder I got my smaller dog from didn't show much interest in her after the first year, she did call to see her once when she was nearby, but I guess since she was so happy with the way she was being looked after, she didn't worry about her since.
    I have heard a few worrying stories, although the breeders didn't sound that good to start with.
    I guess it depends on the breeder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Thanks all for replies. I guess you told me what I expected - its a matter for the individual breeder but not a policy recommended by the IKC.

Ok now will have to restructure my argument.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well here's a sample contract that was written up by a breed club for use by it's members, it's not an Irish breed club mind you, but I can't imagine they differ much.

http://www.essc.org.uk/pdf/sales.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Just to add to AJ's example here is a link to a very in dept contract written up by a Rottweiler breeder, it is not where I got either of my rottie's from but it is typical of the type of contract a lot of the Rottweiler breeders who I have contact with.

http://www.vorzeigenrottweilers.com/vorzeigencontract.htm

Thats again folks but I really need something from an over arching (if thats the correct word?) association endorsing/recommending this approach rather than from individual breeders. I was hoping that IKC or at least some of the breed clubs would have something. But sure life is never that simple :rolleyes:

However, some of the wording in those contacts may be useful - save a few brain cells from working overtime :) Thanks again.

I might be wrong here, but I get the impression that this might be about someone who is refusing to take a dog back, if so and the person is a member of a breed club, it is likely that the breed club has a code of ethics it's members must obey. The IKC is just a register, nothing more really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The number of purebred dogs coming into rescue is going up every year, both as stray and surrendered and in my experience the vast majority of breeders don't want to know about taking their dog back, or even helping to rehome them. Most don't even know who they sold the dog too because they don't keep records :eek: We did have one breeder eventually come and get her dog that was handed in as a stray but she was reluctant. Having said that the fact that she did show up nearly had us falling off our chairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm really shocked that this isn't in the code of ethics of breed clubs. I honestly thought it would have been.

AJ - this is not about any particular dog, breeder or real life incident. I was hoping to find such a document to build, support an argument in a document that Im planning on doing on dogs.

ISDW - I honestly thought it was part of some code of ethics too - especially as a lot of people keep repeating that a good breeder will take a dog back - which Im sure GOOD breeders do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Inexile wrote: »
    AJ - this is not about any particular dog, breeder or real life incident. I was hoping to find such a document to build, support an argument in a document that Im planning on doing on dogs.

ISDW - I honestly thought it was part of some code of ethics too - especially as a lot of people keep repeating that a good breeder will take a dog back - which Im sure GOOD breeders do.

So I wonder what is in the code of ethics for breeders who are part of breed clubs? Sorry to take this off topic slightly. Does anyone have any links to such codes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You would have to contact the breed clubs themselves and ask for a copy of their rules as most club have their own rules that you must adhere to when you become a member.

Advertisement