Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry game?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a good way to flex my understanding here. Taking college chemistry and getting a little lost. I remember there was one game on steam a while ago that got some good hype but not sure if it would be just for fun. Or something actually handy. Alternatively can anyone recommend some good chemistry reference guides that break down the common knowledge k to something digestible like all the nomenclature and stuff. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spacechem.

1000 times Spacechem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Oh gods Space Chem - I made the mistake of trying to learn how to play that at 3am in the morning after a night out. Much confustion... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It takes an hour or two to understand what the **** is going on. But when it clicks it is gaming poetry in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

will it actually help me in Chemistry though ;)

It's not 100% scientifically accurate (a few liberties taken for gameplay's sake), but it's a damn sight more scientifically involved than pretty much every other popular game ever made. All about chemical and molecule bonding. Probably more helpful for getting you into a 'logical' train of thought.

I'm sure there are more accurate chemistry games out there, but they're unlikely to be as much fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

This game isn't gonna teach you chemistry, but as a game its excellent. And I'm yet to see a device that can add and remove protons.

Might be worth hitting the books

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

I can't think of any games that mey help, however, I had to do a significant chemistry module as part of a physics degree. Having not experienced it before college I found a second-hand Leaving Certificate Chemistry book to be a very good foundation for understanding the concepts. ;)

P.S. Can anyone put a name to the cartoon cat in johnny_ultimates' avatar? It looks kinda like a modern day reimagining of Felix, but Google images disagrees.

P.S. Can anyone put a name to the cartoon cat in johnny_ultimates' avatar? It looks kinda like a modern day reimagining of Felix, but Google images disagrees.

It's Sakamoto from the (brilliant) anime comedy series Nichijou (or My Ordinary Life) :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Overheal wrote: »
    will it actually help me in Chemistry though ;)

My advice. Study more. You might someday be as good as me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not going to help you much , but I loved Mercury Hg on xbox live (did you know it's atomic number is 80 ? ) Might help you learn element names :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

It's Sakamoto from the (brilliant) anime comedy series Nichijou (or My Ordinary Life) :)

Cheers, I'll have to look into that. :D

Also, how do I thank posts? I believe there should be a "thumbs up" icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the post I wish to thank, but that's not displaying for me. :(
    Do I need a minimum number of posts or reputation first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Also, how do I thank posts? I believe there should be a "thumbs up" icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the post I wish to thank, but that's not displaying for me. :(
    Do I need a minimum number of posts or reputation first?

There is, you are correct. I am unsure as to why it doesn't show yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Why did I read this thread :o Went and got the game after flicking through a few reviews on the interweb but right now I'm ready to go and smash the computer with frustration at the level I'm on now :o and I refuse to google how to solve it...

Really love the game though highly recommended - best puzzle game I've played in a long time - best game I've played in a while too when it goes to it

Advertisement