Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower v Pumped Shower

Options
  • 24-01-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I am toying with the idea of replacing a Triton T90i shower which needs replacing.

What would it entail getting rid of the electric shower altogether and putting in a pumped shower.

I am not knowledgeable in this area but would welcome ideas and cost effectiveness analysis of either or.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Is this over your bath or a free standing shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

enviro wrote: »
    Is this over your bath or a free standing shower?

Free Standing shower. It is the en-suite. I have another gravity fed one in another en-suite which has good power in it. The one I want to replace is upstairs in a dormer bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

suitseir wrote: »
    Free Standing shower. It is the en-suite. I have another gravity fed one in another en-suite which has good power in it. The one I want to replace is upstairs in a dormer bungalow.

You need another feed to convert (hot supply)

diag.gif

The main difference apart from performance is that the shower will require hot water from your cylinder, where as the t90 heated the water itself.

Going boosted will have a greater demand on your hot water reserves also. Depending on the size of your current cylinder you need an upgrade (bigger cylinder) especially if you foresee two showers/ other outlets being used at the same time.

You will need either a booster pump and a new mixer shower unit or a pumped mixer shower.
    It would also be recommended to fit a surrey flange to your cylinder.

Head into a plumbing shop/ builders merchant and have a chat with them regarding your opinions regarding equipment in relation to your budget.

Thank you ENVIRO for you detailed reply.

The hot water cylinder in the hot press is a large one and could sustain it. i now understand what you mean with regard to the difference between the two types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭youtheman

The main difference is CONVENIENCE versus PERFORMANCE. The Triton is convenient in that you never have to worry about having a reserve of hot water as it is 'hot water on demand'. And if you're starting from scratch it's also the cheapest as the only component you need is the shower unit itself.

However, if you want to treat youself to a real shower experience then go for the pumped option. There is better flow and it is much quiter. If you have a zoned system with a well insulated tank then this will increase the efficiency. And if you have Solar then during the summer the operating cost is zero. And if they ever have 'smart meters' to penalise high demand then the cost difference will be reduced.

I started with a non-pumped shower (t80) and then changed it to a pumped shower (Mira Elite ST). Then I put in Solar, dual cylinder, zoned it, and threw out the electric shower and put in a pump and thermostatic mixer. And it was the best thing I ever did. I have free water during the summer. And the Solar controller tells me the temp in the tank and all you have to remember is to check the temp before you 'tog off'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Arent there showers on the market which offer the best of both worlds -i.e. are pumped and fully instant (gas or electric) :confused:

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Arent there showers on the market which offer the best of both worlds -i.e. are pumped and fully instant (gas or electric) :confused:

Interesting...............I would like to know more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭youtheman

Mike 1972 wrote: »

There certainly is, but here's 'the rub', that's what the OP has already installed (Triton T90i).

Ah well, we tried !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

youtheman wrote: »
    There certainly is, but here's 'the rub', that's what the OP has already installed (Triton T90i).

Ah well, we tried !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Once the shower is heating the water as its used, like a t90i does, there is a definite fixed flow rate, which depends on the starting temp of the water compared to the required temperature.

9kw heat into the water is fixed, the same amount of heat is always transfered to the water. All that changes is the flow rate for getting the required temp.

So in the winter, the flow rate is at its worst, as a bigger temperature increase is needed from cold to required temperature, but with the same fixed amount of heat going into the water, the flow rate has to be reduced (temp dial turned up).

As said, this versus the pumped mixer shower, is down to conveniece for the instant electric (t90i) v the performance of the pumped mixer one.

The pumped mixer shower, using already heated water, is not restricted by the rate it can heat the water, as its already heated. So it can have much higher flow rates, but will use more hot water too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement