Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1970's Bungalow

Options
  • 24-01-2012 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 1970's Bungalow. It has tiles on the roof - which i will need to replace with slate. and also, i will need to insulate, as the house is cold. lot of other work to be done on it to - renovations / modernisation.

I am wondering to know, are 1970's houses bad in any way - regarding blockwork , foundations etc ? is there anythign i should be watching out for, or with a bit of TLC can i make it a good warm house? would the walls be insulated?

any advice appreciated

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    The house I bought was 1969 time. I found mine had 50mm aeroboard insulation. that would have been the norm at that time. I would advise you to have an engineer look at it and he would give the house a good one over. I had one look at mine and it was worth the few €. Peace of mind. Thankfully it was well built but needed a fair bit of work to bring it up to a good standard.

Good luck with the buy
    NW

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at buying a 1970's Bungalow. It has tiles on the roof - which i will need to replace with slate. and also, i will need to insulate, as the house is cold. lot of other work to be done on it to - renovations / modernisation.

I am wondering to know, are 1970's houses bad in any way - regarding blockwork , foundations etc ? is there anythign i should be watching out for, or with a bit of TLC can i make it a good warm house? would the walls be insulated?

any advice appreciated

Jo

breeze blocks were still being used upto the 1980's in many parts of the country, and things like wall vents were still not standard. If you find that you preferred house has a cavity, wall vents, no obvious cracks and solid roof timbers your doing well

as said above, get an engineer to do a full structural and energy assessment on it (the BER will exist so start with that)

if it were me, I would be budgeting substantial money for the retro-fit. 15g windows minimum (maybe 30g depends on spec and msq), 15g ewi minimum(depends on msq area), re- roof and insulate another 10-15g min (slate, breathable felt, insualtion, more below rafters and air-tightness tapes etc).. and thats before heating system, ventilation system and internal decoration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

BryanF wrote: »
    breeze blocks were still being used upto the 1980's in many parts of the country, and things like wall vents were still not standard. If you find that you preferred house has a cavity, wall vents, no obvious cracks and solid roof timbers your doing well

as said above, get an engineer to do a full structural and energy assessment on it (the BER will exist so start with that)

thanks for that - i will definitly get an engineer out. can you tell - the breeze block is the one with the whole in it - yes? whats the best way to find out if its built with these?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

your eng will be able to tell in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

Breeze blocks were fairly common in Dublin and surrounding areas at the time.

You should have it well checked before you finalise the purchase. A bad scenario would be where you found that extensive remedial work had to carried out at considerable cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Corron

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

any advice appreciated

Jo

Hi, just bought a 1970s bungalow. Just wondering what type of insulation you went with and any other advice you may have in terms of modernisation!

Advertisement