Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power tool repair

• 24-01-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I think i just banjaxed my mates black and decker planer.

The planer bit isnt spinning anymore even though the motor is running, if you know what i mean.

Any suggestions? can i get the thing repaired somewhere (south Dublin)?

Or is it a total replacement job???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Sounds like it the belt that drives the spindle that is gone, an easy fix you should pick a new one up in a good power tool supplier or hardware store.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shiver1

yes sounds like its just the belt broken
    easy diy fix
    the likes of b&q may have a replacement belt in stock

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If you can't find a replacement belt in a diy store you might be able to get one in an automotive shop.
    B & D belts are widely available though - I wonder why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, is the motor actually running or is it humming? If it's the latter switch off immediately as the motor is jammed and will burn out.
    Most likely the belt though as already advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

When/if you get it back together, make sure the blade is seated square and rotating freely. I jammed my last planer by being impatient and the heat that built up damaged the seating at one end of the blade axle. I unjammed it and the blade came flying out shortly after restarting, fortunately it was away from me and didn't hit anything important.

• Advertisement
Advertisement