Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper trophies.

Options
  • 24-01-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Trophies are the perfect excuse for RPG games to be proper ***** with challenges.

not only are RPG's soft on the difficulty scale these days, but does anyone also find that most of the harder trophies, are difficult not because of the challenge but the time taken?

like it isin't hard to meet every monster in the game, or collect every pokemon etc, it;s just takes a lot of time.

gamefaq, for whatever reason are full to the brim of "no item" or "level 1" challenges.
    And it leaves me thinking, why not put some real challenges up for these games? you want a platinum throphy? screw collecting all items. How about going through the whole game with the hero at 1/10 stats or with magic disabled, or on 1 hp or beating the game in less them 10 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

There's very little sense of achievement with most trophies. I really don't see the point in them to be honest. Some alternate challenges would be good but I'd rather earn some in game goodies or a new mode etc. than a pointless bauble for your user account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you think RPGs are easy you've not been playing enough Shun Megami Tensei games.

I find the whole trophies/achievements thing pointless. I never actively seek them out. I've too many games to play that I haven't the time to do stupid arbitruary tasks just to extend my e-penis. Also sub-quests I now completely ignore inless there's a satisfying reward for doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

lol, I know what you mean.

What I mean is I think trophies could be amazing but they're not really utilized very well.

trophies are challenges which can be set up outside of the the game itself, essentially they are side quests. If any style of game should be using them better it should be RPG's

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Yakuza 3 & 4 have nice challenging trophies that arent just time sinks

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Disgaea 3 has a few funny ones too, which will take a bit of planning and aren't just 'collect all this ****'

One is to throw a dude over, say 80 or 90 squares. The only way to do this is to get a team full of monsters, put them in the right places and then throw and serve a team make so he bounces around the level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you think RPGs are easy you've not been playing enough Shun Megami Tensei games.

I find the whole trophies/achievements thing pointless. I never actively seek them out. I've too many games to play that I haven't the time to do stupid arbitruary tasks just to extend my e-penis. Also sub-quests I now completely ignore inless there's a satisfying reward for doing them.

This. It'd be different if they were worth a small amount, like say 5p. That way, there'd be some incentive. But a logo and a title. Nah.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement