Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with judo injuries

• 24-01-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Ok folks, time for you to have a laugh at me.

At my first Judo class (early January) I drove my shoulder into the mat. Been sore since and tends to stiffen up if not kept mobile.

Second class (same week) - doing a bit of grappling and went to roll partner over me and got a very sharp stab in left ribs. I was on my back and went to roll him from my left to my right. Thought the obi knot had be pressed into my ribs but now think it was a muscle pull or tear.

Haven't been back since as the ribs are too sore - slightest thing causes a stab of pain/discomfort - not really severe but enough for me to know not to mess with it by rolling on the mat or have someone grapple with me.

Any ideas on what I can do to help shoulder recovery bearing in mind anything that involves the torso is out due to rib injury?

Anything I can do about the ribs? This is really cheesing me off because I think I know the answer and don't like it.

Are painkillers an option or would I do further damage??

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. I know you're not doctors, etc. but I just wanted your perspective/experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If you have an injury that's lasted for a few weeks now, it might be something you need to get checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll just reaffirm what my fellow Mod posted, you really should seek professional medical attention at this stage.

Failing you doing that, you'll rarely be completely injury free at judo (thats my experience) so suck it up and get back on the mat.

Or as Andy Ryan once whispered (NOT) in my ear once - "Ouch is not a Judo term" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Agree with both above me, suck it up and see a doctor/physio. Sometimes just leaving and hoping is not a good idea (I know, I have arthritis in my left knee at the age of 34)

You will always be sore after Judo but the only bit of advice I can offer is learn how to land correctly, this will help you a LOT and help cut down on injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

Lads,

Thanks for the responses and advice. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pokersmidge

Do lots of break falls lots. It will benefit you greatly to learn to fall and reduce injuries and surprisingly you do get used to getting hopped off the mats trust me I know. Also avoid the fat guy at training he'll hurt more when he lands on your face lol. If your in Longford as your location states come down to us in athlone for a session.

• Advertisement
Advertisement