Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any interesting vinyl?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here own any interesting records? By interesting I mean either vinyl that looks a bit different than the usual black or a record that has some kind of interesting novelty factor in the way it plays. For instance the run out groove on the original Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album kept repeating in an endless loop (this was in the days when the tone arm on record players didn't automatically lift up when it came to the end of a record).

Back in 1992 I bought the seven inch single of Something Good by Utah Saints. While I no longer have any interest in dance music I still think the b side was an interesting novelty. It was a track which could be played at either 33 1/3 RPM or 45 RPM, depending on how fast or slow a track you wanted to hear.

Also in 1992 I bought a couple of singles by Faith No More. One was A Small Victory and the other was Midlife Crisis. The former was on yellow vinyl and the latter was on blue vinyl.
    189747.jpg

189746.jpg

189749.jpg

189748.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've got a few Flaming Lips albums on coloured vinyl, they're mad for coloured pressings, even their first ever EP was coloured. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is on transparent pink vinyl, I've got a repressing of Oh My Gawd!!! on clear vinyl (which makes listening to a particular track really hard 'cause you can see the grooves from the other side as well as the top side), Hear It Is on white vinyl, but my favourite is an original pressing of Clouds Taste Metallic on transparent green vinyl, apparently it's a rare enough one and I got it at a fair for €20, chuffed with myself.

I'm not one of those hardcore vinyl nerd original pressing fiends, but since you asked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Have a few pic discs and coloured vinyls, favourites are:

Yeah-Yeah-Yeahs-Heads-Will-Roll-473172.jpg

2010-08-11_atmosphere.jpg

12498.jpg

and:

REM-Nightswimming-19369.jpg

Missed out on this on ebay recently, is luminous (glow in the dark) 12" of neon lights by Kraftwerk:

neon3.jpg

I have Nirvana's Bleach on White Vinyl, used to have a much bigger collection with interesting things, but it got nicked :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I've got The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I've got the Limited Edish Lateralus:
    (Picture is from Google Images, but it looks the same!)
    140308291336.jpg

Got something in red and something else in white, can't remember what they are though, and a transparent green Dark Side of the Moon.

The coolest that I have is probably Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do (Sigur Rós): the music fits on one side of the disc, so on the flip side it just has carved choreography stickman figure things.. Sorta looks like this, except the figures are carved in, rather than white:
    sigur_ros_ba_ba_ti_ki_di_do_prom_02.jpg

• Advertisement

I have Nirvana's Bleach on White Vinyl, used to have a much bigger collection with interesting things, but it got nicked :(

That would have killed me!

Sinfonia wrote: »
    The coolest that I have is probably Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do (Sigur Rós): the music fits on one side of the disc, so on the flip side it just has carved choreography stickman figure things.. Sorta looks like this, except the figures are carved in, rather than white

Ooh, my Dad has Takk on double vinyl which comes with a third 45rpm with the same deal, a picture engraved on the B side. Really cool idea.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I've got the Limited Edish Lateralus:
    (Picture is from Google Images, but it looks the same!)
    140308291336.jpg

Got something in red and something else in white, can't remember what they are though, and a transparent green Dark Side of the Moon.

The coolest that I have is probably Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do (Sigur Rós): the music fits on one side of the disc, so on the flip side it just has carved choreography stickman figure things.. Sorta looks like this, except the figures are carved in, rather than white:
    sigur_ros_ba_ba_ti_ki_di_do_prom_02.jpg

That Sigur Ros one sounds cool, its hard to engrave things on the oul mp3s on the other hand.

That Sigur Ros one sounds cool, its hard to engrave things on the oul mp3s on the other hand.

Skip to 5:30 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I have a Rice Crispies vinyl at home. I'll dig it out and upload a pick the next time I'm there. I can't remember what's on it though, I just remember it from my childhood :)

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »

Yeah well its hard to use mp3's as frisbees.:)

Also have this, it came free with NME in 2007, single sided 7" with etching on b side and space for the other 7" (Icky Thump) which you had to buy. Nice idea, NME should do more of them.

1pfebk.jpg

3sh1l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Probably the coolest one of my records is a copy of "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" by The Beastie Boys. Its a clear 7" single with a crashed plane sticking out the sides of it. Hopefully the picture has attached ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief LP (1973)
    I've an original pressing of this. "Side Two" has a double groove, so depending on where the needle lands, you get a totally different set of material. Of course, this can be infuriating if you really want to hear one batch of jokes and the needle keeps landing in the "wrong" groove.

220px-MontyPythonMatchingTie%26HandkerchiefOriginal.jpg

Also, on early issues of Another Monty Python Record (1971), the closing sketch (a spoof documentary) on Side One involves The Piranha Brothers, East End gangsters, played by Michael Palin and Terry Jones. At the end, they get into a scuffle with voice of authority, John Cleese, when they want the documentary to end. The last bit is Michael Palin saying, "Sorry, squire, I've scratched the record", but it's in a locked groove, so the record runs out with Palin's voice repeating "scratched the record, scratched the record, scratched the record..." ad infinitum. Or until you lift the needle. Subsequent editions just had the line repeated a few times, and the novelty of the vinyl version was completely lost on CD.

220px-

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I bought this when it came out 20 years ago

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263361776665ba1fea10a4b61603d9fb9f3b3.jpg

And I have the Jesus Christ Pose Etched disk which is basically this image etched on the bside:

jcpvin.jpg

And that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Original Dylan albums from the 60's, Doors albums, Hendrix albums

All from my Dad's collection!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I have a Rice Crispies vinyl at home. I'll dig it out and upload a pick the next time I'm there. I can't remember what's on it though, I just remember it from my childhood :)
    I had one of those. I remember it was a flexi disc (paper thin vinyl) stuck to the outside of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Great thread!

here's a great site for lovers of rare coloured / picture disc vinyl :

http://12in.ch/ (see what they did there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,578 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Recently I got this as a birthday present, I just love 10" vinyl, especially clear vinyl.....

tkol-vinyl.jpg

I have loads more at home, but thats my most recent "cool vinyl"

:D

I <3 10" vinyl.

I've got a neeeearly full set of releases on a Dutch dubstep / dub techno label called Tube10, some of them are beautiful, each one a differently shaded clear or coloured 10", cracking tunes as well, obviously. Not too many pictures online though.

tube10003.jpg

• Advertisement

Instra:Mental and Nico 10" picture disc on the Exit Records Aptitude series; limited run of 300 hand numbered in a double sleeve with two sheets of stickers included. Could only get my hands on one copy at the time, but it's a great record that looks amazeballs.

R-1481714-1229342819.jpeg

R-1481714-1229342807.jpeg

And even though the tunes were cheesy as hell I had to buy the remixes of Adam F - "Kaos" for the 2 x 12" picture discs.

109715_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Great idea for a thread! I sort of collect 7"s from small indie record labels so, in the interests of time, I've picked just 3 interesting examples - otherwise I would be here all day! Apologies for the quality of the pictures..

The first is both unusual and pretty rare - Neutral Milk Hotel: Holland, 1945 on Blue Rose. Brilliant picture disc on Side A

nmh_holland_1945_vinyl_a.jpg

And then Side B is a sort of dice...

nmh_holland_1945_vinyl_b.jpg

And the sleeve is a board game!

nmh_holland_1945_game.jpg

I have the NMH - Everything Is 7" too, which might be rarer, but not very pretty to look at.

Next choice is also quite unusual. It's pink vinyl - not particularly interesting, but the sleeve folds out into a polka dot dress! - The Pipettes: Judy (on Total Gaylord Records) -

pipettes_dress_sleeve.jpg

The splatter on this is beautiful and it's one of my favourite records to boot - Spacemen 3: Walking With Jesus - on the short-lived Earworm Gold series.

spacemen_3_splatter.jpg

The cool thing about the label on the record is that aligns up with the outer sleeve, as shown in the image below!

spacemen_3_sleeve.jpg

This is one that I pressed myself - Suburban Kids with Biblical Names - Marry Me 7" on pink vinyl….

suburban_kids_marry_me.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

^ Holy crap that Spacemen 3 vinyl looks awesome.

I've nothing too interesting in my vinyl collection unfortunately, just regular old vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I only have one picture disk - Megadeth - So Far So Good So What? And the odd slightly limited edition sleeve ie a numbered gatefold. Nothing of real interest.

Oh I do have Tommy Bolin The Ultimate LP set which contains a 12 x 12 24 page book which is rare now but the vinyl is bog standard black.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread! I sort of collect 7"s from small indie record labels so, in the interests of time, I've picked just 3 interesting examples - otherwise I would be here all day! Apologies for the quality of the pictures..

You should submit them to http://12in.ch man, they're trying to build an archive of cool / pretty / interesting coloured / shaped / pic disc vinyl from all over the world and right across genre...

Lovely stuff there by the way, that board game one looks incredible.

This is one that I pressed myself - Suburban Kids with Biblical Names - Marry Me 7" on pink vinyl….

suburban_kids_marry_me.jpg

You win hands down so far! When you say "pressed myself" did you work in a vinyl pressing plant or do it at home or what, I'm intrigued?

You should submit them to http://12in.ch man, they're trying to build an archive of cool / pretty / interesting coloured / shaped / pic disc vinyl from all over the world and right across genre...

Lovely stuff there by the way, that board game one looks incredible.

Cheers - yeah, I had a look at the 12in.ch site (great url!) but they do seem to be all 12" records, rather than 7" ones. I'll check back again and see if I can create an account and if they do 7" records. That Instra:Mental and Nico 10" of yours looks fantastic!

One more for the thread: Ma Cherie for Painting - Salut Salut on Earworm - single-sided, clear glittered vinyl!

ma_cherie_fp_7_1.jpg

When you say "pressed myself" did you work in a vinyl pressing plant or do it at home or what, I'm intrigued?

Ha - no, I put it out - didn't actually (literally) press it myself!

• Advertisement

Cheers - yeah, I had a look at the 12in.ch site (great url!) but they do seem to be all 12" records, rather than 7" ones. I'll check back again and see if I can create an account and if they do 7" records. That Instra:Mental and Nico 10" of yours looks fantastic!

One more for the thread: Ma Cherie for Painting - Salut Salut on Earworm - single-sided, clear glittered vinyl!

ma_cherie_fp_7_1.jpg

Nothing compares to vinyl for music listening and aesthetic appreciation, sparkly opaque CD's and Mp3's just don't compare :D.

Advertisement