Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Laptops Using Eircom Broadband - Eircom Router Keeps Disconnecting

• 24-01-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Eircom Broadband, 24mb. We have the old netopia rotuer as I find the new one eircom provides is crap.

Anyway it is fine most of the time but me and my Dad have our own laptops and when ever we go online the same time the internet keeps disconnecting, it doesn't do it on the Zyxel router but as I've said I hate that slow stupid piece of crap router.

By the way both our laptops use the internet wirelessly.

Any way to stop it constantly disconnecting when we are both using our laptops at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Check the laptops are not using the same internal IP address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Check the laptops are not using the same internal IP address

If they are and I change it what will happen?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Are they both windows? I had a similar issue on one mac one windows. I had to update the wifi radio on the windows one as apparently that laptop was interfering with the mac.

antodeco wrote: »
    Are they both windows? I had a similar issue on one mac one windows. I had to update the wifi radio on the windows one as apparently that laptop was interfering with the mac.

yes there both windows.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried changing the wireless channel of your network?

Would both of you be trying to download stuff at the same time or just generally browsing?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you tried changing the wireless channel of your network?

Would both of you be trying to download stuff at the same time or just generally browsing?

Just generally browsing most of the time, I do be on xbox live sometimes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is the modem dropping the Internet connection (DSL or Internet light on modem goes off), or are the laptops just disconnecting from the Wifi network?

jor el wrote: »
    Is the modem dropping the Internet connection (DSL or Internet light on modem goes off), or are the laptops just disconnecting from the Wifi network?

The modem drops the internet connection first.

chops018 wrote: »
    The modem drops the internet connection first.

You need to check your line stats. The line may not be up to your current dsl product.

You need to check your line stats. The line may not be up to your current dsl product.

Speed
    17402/765 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    17/6 dB

usually get 13-14 mb speed off that, which does me well enough, just the stupid disconnecting can get annoying.

• Advertisement

You need to check your snr levels.

Your attenuation looks pretty good but drop outs are often caused by poor snr.

Also whats your internal wiring like? Is everything thats connected to your telephone line properly filtered? Sky box for instance?

You need to check your snr levels.

Your attenuation looks pretty good but drop outs are often caused by poor snr.

Also whats your internal wiring like? Is everything thats connected to your telephone line properly filtered? Sky box for instance?

SN Margin (dB) 10.50 16.20

Sky isn't connected, have UPC for the TV, not connected to phone either.. Just the BB that's connected to it and it's filtered so that we can use the phone aswell as the net. Should I maybe hardline it to the phone? It will disconnect the internet if we use the phone but that doesn't bother me.

chops018 wrote: »
    SN Margin (dB) 10.50 16.20

Sky isn't connected, have UPC for the TV, not connected to phone either.. Just the BB that's connected to it and it's filtered so that we can use the phone aswell as the net. Should I maybe hardline it to the phone? It will disconnect the internet if we use the phone but that doesn't bother me.

Given that your attenuation is pretty good suggesting that you are pretty near the exchange your snr seems low and suggests that perhaps all is not well with your wiring. The higher the speed the more pressure there is on the line.

Are there any extensions run off the main socket or anything like that?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Given that your attenuation is pretty good suggesting that you are pretty near the exchange your snr seems low and suggests that perhaps all is not well with your wiring. The higher the speed the more pressure there is on the line.

Are there any extensions run off the main socket or anything like that?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

I have a filter for the phone which allows the phone to be connected and the router. However the phone is downstairs in the hall, and I have the router upstairs. So I have a 20m cable running from the phone downstairs to the router upstairs as the router is connected to my xbox.

I have never had these problems with disconnecting up until a few months ago when my dad got his new laptop, I've had the router for about 5 years, and most of the time it seems to disconnect when my dad and myself are both online. However it can do it when just one of us is online aswell, but usually it is fine when one of us is using it. It mostly happens when we both are online.

Bump - Really need help with this.

Advertisement