Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA vs Ireland network prices.

Options
  • 24-01-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

As many of you will know the Galaxy Nexus is the first phone with android 4.0. I did a quick price check on a bill pay deal on meteor and verizon ( an american carrier) On a 18 month contract with meteor you'll get the
    galaxy nexus for €200
    400 minutes
    400 texts
    2GB of data
    for €40 a month

On a 2 year contract with verizon you'll get the
    galaxy nexus for $300 (€230)
    450 minutes
    1000 texts
    2GB of data
    for $80 (€60)

It seems the yanks pay more on the contract and get more minutes ect but pay more for the actual phone. Which deal do you think is better?
    If you know what I'm talking about keep in mind Meteor uses GSM and Verizon uses CDMA and verizon has LTE (4G).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Since the Yanks will charge you for receiving calls, you need more minutes.
    I don't think they get especially good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

ardmacha wrote: »
    Since the Yanks will charge you for receiving calls, you need more minutes.
    I don't think they get especially good deals.
    Didn't know that. In that case I would say Meteor's deal is better. I wonder is 4g really that great. There crying out for 4G iPhone in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

pigeon999 wrote: »
    Didn't know that. In that case I would say Meteor's deal is better. I wonder is 4g really that great. There crying out for 4G iPhone in the US.

American 4G isnt really 4G. Their 4G is like our HSDPA. They will most times get lower speeds than us anyway.

True LTE is where it makes the jump. 4G is more of a marketing figure over there

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I find phone prices here are a rip off.
    I'm with t-mobile and i pay 30 dollars a month for 1500 minutes talk and text, ( i use my unlocked irish phone). I don't use the phone very often and I haven't once lasted a month with 1500 mins, its a balls how it costs to receive things.

Also you know when you top up 20E in Ireland you can get, say free texts for the month and you still have the 20e in ur account, here I get a $0 account so its fairly limited.

Networks are more expensive here, however they have 4G here which is incredible!

I've used alot of Iphones on 4G and some speeds are wicked, however, on other networks it may not be so quick

I find phone prices here are a rip off.
    I'm with t-mobile and i pay 30 dollars a month for 1500 minutes talk and text, ( i use my unlocked irish phone). I don't use the phone very often and I haven't once lasted a month with 1500 mins, its a balls how it costs to receive things.

Also you know when you top up 20E in Ireland you can get, say free texts for the month and you still have the 20e in ur account, here I get a $0 account so its fairly limited.

Networks are more expensive here, however they have 4G here which is incredible!

I've used alot of Iphones on 4G and some speeds are wicked, however, on other networks it may not be so quick

Will it cost to receive texts as well. HSPA+ isn't really 4G it's like 3.75G. LTE is real 4G. I top-up €20 a month with 3 and get All you can eat data, 3 to 3 calls and unlimited texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Don't think so dude. T-Mobile USA does not have a 3G network compatable with iPhone. There is no 4G iPhone on any network, HSPA+ is as fast as it goes. Confusingly AT&T do have a HSPA+ network that they brand 4G, the iPhone does run on this, but HSPA+ is 3.75G, but the iPhone does not differentiate between these.

pigeon999 wrote: »
    Will it cost to receive texts as well. HSPA+ isn't really 4G it's like 3.75G. LTE is real 4G. I top-up €20 a month with 3 and get All you can eat data, 3 to 3 calls and unlimited texts.

Costs to receive texts ya which is a balls..

bd250110 wrote: »
    Don't think so dude. T-Mobile USA does not have a 3G network compatable with iPhone. There is no 4G iPhone on any network, HSPA+ is as fast as it goes. Confusingly AT&T do have a HSPA+ network that they brand 4G, the iPhone does run on this, but HSPA+ is 3.75G, but the iPhone does not differentiate between these.

T-mobile don't do the iphone here, there more into the android market,

I am clueless when it comes to things like HSPA and things:pac:

I was just saying what i see advertised around here and from my own experience using phones in comparison to browsing on a cell phone back home!!!:rolleyes:

bd250110 wrote: »

ATT have just started out there LTE network and so have Sprint. It was kind of strange that Verizon used LTE considering it is a GSM technology and Verizon's 3G network is CDMA. AT&T said that they used HDPA+ because when there was no LTE coverage you would fall into the HSPA+ (which has pretty impressive speeds to be fair)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

LTE in the US can reach some fairly decent download/upload rates.

I've seen some 20Mb download 7Mb upload seems to be more consistant than a HSPA network!

• Advertisement

Do you have to pay extra for lte?

Advertisement