Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I really want to cut turf this Summer...

• 24-01-2012 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

but I don't own a bog!:(

Do farmers etc/ employ extra workers around Summer?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Its against the law now to cut turf so the Germans tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Saoirse333

patwicklow wrote: »

I know, 'tis an awful disgrace:mad:

Aren't there still some bogs which can still be cut though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Jaysus Pat come on over to Offaly and see all the lawbreakers.

There are still bogs that can be cut.

There is usually any amount of work on the bog during summer. Plenty of hardship.

If the OP is interested in a bit of turf why not contact the nearest local working bog and buy a couple of hoppers, rear it yourself and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Saoirse333 wrote: »
    I know, 'tis an awful disgrace:mad:

Aren't there still some bogs which can still be cut though?

The vast majority of bogs can still be legally cut so you shouldn't have a problem.

PS: The restrictions only apply to a handfull of intact raised bogs - mainly in Westmeath, East Galway and Roscommon. All blanket bogs are exempt from the ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

Dont forget the weather:D

• Advertisement

Dont forget the weather:D

I can't recall a year that we didn't get the turf home.

I can recall hardship and going to the makers name trying to get it home:D

Bizzum wrote: »
    Jaysus Pat come on over to Offaly and see all the lawbreakers.

There are still bogs that can be cut.

There is usually any amount of work on the bog during summer. Plenty of hardship.

If the OP is interested in a bit of turf why not contact the nearest local working bog and buy a couple of hoppers, rear it yourself and take it from there.

Sure I'm a young thang!! I don't have the funds:(

Sure I'm a young thang!! I don't have the funds:(

Let me clarify. Buy a couple of hoppers of turf from the bog owner, €40 or €50 a hopper and rear it.

Alternatively, stick up a few flyers about offering to foot/rear turf and see would you get a start;)

Bizzum wrote: »
    Let me clarify. Buy a couple of hoppers of turf from the bog owner, €40 or €50 a hopper and rear it.

Alternatively, stick up a few flyers about offering to foot/rear turf and see would you get a start;)

I didn't know it was that reasonable!! Cool, I'm gonna get me my own bog, yeehaw!!:p

I didn't know it was that reasonable!! Cool, I'm gonna get me my own bog, yeehaw!!:p

Not so sure about the reasonable bit...........When I were a lad and all that.............:)

If you're living in the right area it can be easy enough to get your bellyfull of the bog.
    Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

No they don't.Pathetic post.

A small number of ireland's bogs cant be cut for specific conservation reasons. Normal practice applies everywhere else, but i am guessing you know that already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i hope everyone can get good weather this year and get their turf home and nobody tryin to stop them doing what has been done for 100 s of years

Advertisement