Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seperation Anxiety in 6 year old

Options
  • 24-01-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help please. My 6year old son is crying every day going into school, he's sick, sore throat, upset tummy any excuse.
    I'll walk him in and find a teacher to take him, it usually takes about an hour in school for him to calm down.
    I went away last weekend and my husband had him and all weekend he was looking for me, wnating to ring me checking the time I'd be home etc. He woke Sat night in histerics crying looking for me.
    I'm a stay at home mum to him and his 4 year old sis.
    Any advice would be great, would you thing he needs to see someone.
    He hates crowds, nearly passed out at mass christmas day it was so packed, always comments about how much kid's are in his class and the noise there, leave kid's party's about an hour into them.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is he being bullied in school? Does he like it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Is this a recent behaviour change? If so think about when it started...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Is he being bullied in school? Does he like it there?

No def not bullied, there are three lads in his class he does not get on with but we sorted that out before christmas.

Is this a recent behaviour change? If so think about when it started...

School rang me Friday to collect him that he was sick but he was'nt. Other than that most days since beginning of Dec he asks can he have a day off today.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    School rang me Friday to collect him that he was sick but he was'nt. Other than that most days since beginning of Dec he asks can he have a day off today.

Has anything happened in personal/family life around that time (separation/bereavement/new sibling/new job..anything!).

Is he worried that you might not come back to collect him, that'll you be somewhere 'having fun without him' or what exactly are his reasons for not wanting you to leave?

• Advertisement

Has anything happened in personal/family life around that time (separation/bereavement/new sibling/new job..anything!).

Is he worried that you might not come back to collect him, that'll you be somewhere 'having fun without him' or what exactly are his reasons for not wanting you to leave?
    Friday alright was his sisters birthday and she had a party in montesorri, but I think he thougth it was at home. No change in anything at home other than I went away with the girls at the weekend.
    He was'nt to bad today, had a chat last night and he brought his special teddy and we gave him a job in school to help the teacher which seemed to help.
    I also put a little note in his lunch box, hoping he had a lovely day and I'd seem him at 1.30. I also stuck a picture of him and me on the inside lid of his lunch box. Teacher said he loved it and cheered him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

I remember being quite similiar that I was quite timid in school, I would cry during tests if teacher went too far ahead instead of asking to repeat. I remeber throwing a wobbly when the class were going swimming one day and I couldn't go due to sickness or whatever. I had loads of friends but up until about 7/8 I would cry in situations that weren't routine.

I can't really explain it but what I think would be great for him would be a hobby. Preferable with other people interacting like a team such as soccer etc, would really be a positive character builder imo.

Anybody have any first hand dealings with Aspergs? I'v been googling a couple of things and this ticks alot of the boxes.

He used to do soccer on a Sat morning but dropped out because their was to many kids in the group, he does swimming and Irish dancing and loves it, both classes have less than 6 kids in each.

He has no real friends in seniors, all he want to play with is his cousing in juniors?

I might have a chat with my gp if things dont get any better by next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Anybody have any first hand dealings with Aspergs? I'v been googling a couple of things and this ticks alot of the boxes.

He used to do soccer on a Sat morning but dropped out because their was to many kids in the group, he does swimming and Irish dancing and loves it, both classes have less than 6 kids in each.

He has no real friends in seniors, all he want to play with is his cousing in juniors?

I might have a chat with my gp if things dont get any better by next week.
    I'm not sure if you are looking for medical advice OP, but it is not allowed to be given on Boards.

To be honest, if you have concerns with your son having any conditions, you need to speak to your GP, no one else can diagnose your son for you.

Also, I wouldn't advise Googling things like this because it can lead to more worrying and parents thinking their child has X, Y or Z.

Speak to your GP and see what they say. They may run some tests to find out if your son has Aspergers or not.

Good luck.

I agree with Lovely Muffin, especially since you have seen a change in him when you gave him a special teddy, put a note in his lunchbox etc. School can be a nervous place for kids, especially kids who like and need extra attention (which is by no means a fault!) and by reassuring him that you are still thinking of him.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, no not looking for medical advice, just if anyone knew someone that has it.
    Principal suggested I take him to the gp and get him referred Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

One of my boys was a bit like that. He never went to Montessori because I knew I'd have problems with him and I was having a new baby so felt it wouldn't be a hardship to keep him home with me. He didn't really like me going anywhere without him and would often begin to run a temperature just before I'd be going out so I couldn't go out. Don't ask me how he managed that!

He hated me leaving him in places like supermarket creches, hotel kids clubs or with babysitters and would roar like a wounded bull elephant when I tried. I'd always be contacted within 10 minutes and asked to remove him.

He was 5 the July before he started school so not very young for it. He was the only child in his class who hadn't been to some form of play school or Montessori. He was and still is a very tactile child but didn't like strangers touching him. When he started school I asked the teacher not to touch him eg put her hands on his shoulders while looking at his 'work' and stuff like that and asked her to pass it on to the other teachers because he would very physically rebuff people who tried.

From day one in school, he cried when I left him in the classroom so much so that I'd get a call to come in and bring him home and calm him down and then take him back again because he was upsetting the other kids. He would also crouch under his desk and not come out. We lived only a few minutes away so it wasn't a big deal. I take him home and reason with him for an hour and eventually get him back in again before lunch time. He also insisted on sitting at the very back of the class room on his own at the little art table. He said it was because he didn't like the other kids looking at him. That was fine for the first two weeks when it was free sitting but then the teacher put their names on desks and he waged war against it and won and stayed at the art table till Halloween. After that the teacher won a small battle and he would sit at desk with other kids as long as it was at the back of the classroom and he was allowed sit at the back of the desk.

One day they had to go into the hall for drama and he went with a verbal struggle but when it came time to go back into their class room he dug his heels in and wouldn't move. The Principal decided enough was enough and picked him up to carry him back - he beat her up until she dropped him. I got called in and she apologised profusely to me saying that she was aware of the no touching warning and had ignored it and she was very sorry. I was apologising for her bruises. He was small but extremely strong.

Eventually it all seemed to fall into place but I know that if I'd had the Internet at my finger tips in those days I would have been driven demented with worry about what was wrong with him. The Principal told me that it was very rare for a child nowadays (that was eight years ago) to come to school without having been to some kind of child care during the day previously and that she and all the other teachers were losing their skills at dealing with children like that bit by bit. She said when she started teaching it would only be one or two Junior Infants who would have started school used to being away from their mother. He's now in 6th class and the biggest mouth almighty in it. No shyness and very confident.

The point of all this rambling on is don't be too quick to think that there is something wrong with him. All children are different. Some are less social, not because of Aspergers or something similar, but simply because that's the way they are. I know I'd be very uncomfortable in a large crowd of people that I didn't really know with strange adults yelling at me to do things but I'd enjoy learning something new in a smaller group. Lots of adults would feel like that so why shouldn't children?

By the way, my daughter hated going into school in the morning. We'd always have to wait till the bell rang and she could go straight into the line. She got worse instead of better. By the time she was in 1st class I'd have to wait with her till her class had gone in and then knock on door for the teacher to come out. He'd have to physically pull her off me crying and bundle her into the class room. Within two minutes she'd be fine and eventually got used to the act of separation. It helped when she would have someone to play in the yard before school started. Maybe you could organise something with another child. It's a big lonely playground when you feel out of place standing on your own and everybody else running around yelling or standing in little groups that he might not feel confident enough to join.

None of this was down to me that I could see as my other two had no problems with separating and school. :D Different kids are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Thanks guys, no not looking for medical advice, just if anyone knew someone that has it.
    Principal suggested I take him to the gp and get him referred Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

How was he when he was in Junior Infants? If this is new behaviour, it could be School Phobia/School Refusal. I'm studying Early Childhood Studies at the moment, and it's one of the areas we've covered, it can be triggered by anxieties. It could be something that you could mention to your GP. It might also be worth looking at this video that our lecturer showed us:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

He may be an introvert, and finds being with others all day exhausting.

My husband, although he has great social skills, is an introvert, and finds being with groups beyond quite close family and a few friends, quite draining. He is also quite sensitive to noise and always has been - he dropped out of pre-school, telling his mother he "didn't like it because it was too noisy".

I don't really have a suggestion for you as all children are pretty much forced together at your son's age, but perhaps making sure he gets time to himself to recharge, or quiet time, every day, might help.

mariebeth wrote: »
    How was he when he was in Junior Infants? If this is new behaviour, it could be School Phobia/School Refusal. I'm studying Early Childhood Studies at the moment, and it's one of the areas we've covered, it can be triggered by anxieties. It could be something that you could mention to your GP. It might also be worth looking at this video that our lecturer showed us:

Junior Infants was no problem at all, never had an issue, he used to mention every now and again about the number of kids in his class. This year his teacher has been out alot or doing music so he has had alot of sub teachers. I think this might not be helping him. He likes routine, he always has to be first in line at home time, first to finish work his teacher gives him. The strangest is he did'nt want any of his class mates to go to his birthday party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

No def not bullied, there are three lads in his class he does not get on with but we sorted that out before christmas.
    The strangest is he did'nt want any of his class mates to go to his birthday party.

Are you sure that he isn't being bullied. Sometimes teachers think they have sorted the problem out and then tend not to see things in the same light as the children.

Although the anti-bullying policies that schools have in place are a great step forward and much better than the way things used to be, in actual fact they don't mean jackshit to the children. How many bullies actually respond to mediation and circle time. Not many. They pay lip service to it and carry on as usual. In fact, it can make them meaner towards a child that they view as having gotten them into trouble except now they'll be a lot more sneaky about it.

My daughter always said that every time I went in to the teacher to try and sort her problems out I made it worse because the problem would still be there but compounded by intervention. :(

Advertisement