Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelter

Options
  • 25-01-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Im currently compiling a bob/ghb and some equipment I can use to go camping or travelling around in the coming summer but what kind of options are there for shelter? What do you intend to use and what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

rain proof poncho, para cord ties, bivvi bag, sleeping bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Just get a light tent if your gonna go camping too

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

If I was going camping , definitely a tent. you can get some tiny, lightweight ones.

My big bag had a poncho, bivvi and tarp . But after advice by the masters on here, I now only have poncho and bivvi (although I do have a mini tarp, 1x1 meter) this is mostly because I decided to slim down my bag to a 15l. It all depends on space really, for camping I have a 60l rucksack, that's plenty of space for a small tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My BOB sleeping system is a Poncho, sleeping mat (cut down, covers bum to neck), goretex bivibag, snugpack sleeping bag. I am comfortable with this setup as I have plenty of experience with it but it may not work for everyone.

Unless you spend upwards of €150 I dont think you will find a decent all season lightweight tent that will cover both requirements. For summer camping a cheap and cheerful tent will suit your needs and spend the money on a BOB system that will work.

Options:

1, Poncho/Tarp - Pro's, very lightweight, cheap, stable in windy weather (depending on your setup) Con's Changing wind direction reduces effectiveness, setup needs practice, open areas allowing wind/rain in

2, Hooped Bivi - Pro's, very lightweight, all seasons/weather, space saving Con's, Small living space (claustrophobic), expensive, no space for equipment

3, Tent, single hoop- Pro's, Great shelter for you and gear, lightweight Con's Not great in wind, expensive (need to spend the money for a good one), durability

4, Tent, multi hoop - Pro's, Great shelter inc your gear, lightweight if you spend the money (not as light as single hoop) Con's Bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OneGoalNoSoul

6294.jpg

I've been looking at one of these for both the BoB and some solo camping during the summer, has anyone had any experiance with them?
    http://www.heinnie.com/Survival/Shelters/Snugpak-Tents/Snugpak-Tents-Ionosphere/p-484-506-507-6294/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

6294.jpg

I've been looking at one of these for both the BoB and some solo camping during the summer, has anyone had any experiance with them?
    http://www.heinnie.com/Survival/Shelters/Snugpak-Tents/Snugpak-Tents-Ionosphere/p-484-506-507-6294/

I looked at that in the summer but it was a bit too expensive for me and my needs (cycle touring - solo hiking).

Got this instead http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Gelert_Solo_Single_Pole_Backpacking_Tent.html

Small but roomy, low profile and light-weight. The luminous guy lines can be changed for something less 'disco'. ;)

The problem with just tents I find compared to a basha/tarp is doing personal admin and cooking. Not being able to sit up under some form of shelter and make a brew while looking after your feet for example is the one negative I find. Also if you are mobile and stop for 30 minutes your not going to put up a tent, lie down and make a cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Any ideas for a decent setup of a tarp/basha/poncho when you're not in a wooded area?

Any ideas for a decent setup of a tarp/basha/poncho when you're not in a wooded area?

I touch on it briefly in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75982774

Two poles or branches will give you a nice lean to, one pole will give you a wigwam or a small tent type shelter. You need decent pegs like 6" nails with guy ropes at 45deg angles

If wind is in one direction then a lean to is a good option:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4d1onPDId0gSws5Dw3XegmITPPhVdQ9goL_cGn2NZCK3V3rrSeqVFh2JlaA

The lean to will give you room to cook and do personal admin so if the weather is right then this is the one.

If wind is swirling then the sides dropped is the option to go for:
    Basha.jpg

You dont get the same height as a lean to but handy in bad weather.

krissovo wrote: »
    The problem with just tents I find compared to a basha/tarp is doing personal admin and cooking. Not being able to sit up under some form of shelter and make a brew while looking after your feet for example is the one negative I find. Also if you are mobile and stop for 30 minutes your not going to put up a tent, lie down and make a cuppa.

I was thinking a combination of the bivy and a tarp/poncho would be a solid setup, the bivy when I specifically want to hit the hay and the tarp for personal admin or a combination of both in situations where I know I'll be in the same location for a few days.

I would imagine a tarp/poncho would take up little additional space compared to the bivy?

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    I touch on it briefly in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75982774

Two poles or branches will give you a nice lean to, one pole will give you a wigwam or a small tent type shelter. You need decent pegs like 6" nails with guy ropes at 45deg angles

If wind is in one direction then a lean to is a good option:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4d1onPDId0gSws5Dw3XegmITPPhVdQ9goL_cGn2NZCK3V3rrSeqVFh2JlaA

The lean to will give you room to cook and do personal admin so if the weather is right then this is the one.

If wind is swirling then the sides dropped is the option to go for:
    Basha.jpg

You dont get the same height as a lean to but handy in bad weather.

Thanks krissovo didn't realise that this thread was here, insightful stuff!

I would imagine a tarp/poncho would take up little additional space compared to the bivy?

It will take little space but will increase your weight/bulk your carrying. If you have the space its not a problem but if space is tight then some thing has to give.

If you will use the bivi for recreation its a no brainier to include it in your gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    I looked at that in the summer but it was a bit too expensive for me and my needs (cycle touring - solo hiking).

Got this instead http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Gelert_Solo_Single_Pole_Backpacking_Tent.html

Small but roomy, low profile and light-weight. The luminous guy lines can be changed for something less 'disco'. ;)

have one of these meself but not had a chance to use it yet. tiny yoke I'd say the sleeping bag weighs more

Advertisement