Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitive Obedience Question...

• 25-01-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Okay,
    so to those in the know this will seem like a stupid question,
    but teach a girl who's new to all of this...!

I have a dog who I have been doing some obedience work with (although we both need major work at the moment) and I would love to maybe work towards a couple of competitive competitions BUT my question is... My husky is a full breed BUT as I am not interested in breeding from her and adding to the mountain of dogs left to the care of pounds and shelters when people don't do their homework on the breed, I didn't look for IKC papers for her. The owners said they would register the pups but would charge extra... I was more interested in just getting a healthy, happy pup!

Soooo, here it is!
    If I want to enter competitive obedience competitions does she have to be IKC registered????

The website says, "The IKC may issue a license for a non pedigree dog to compete in obedience tests. The condition is that the dog must be Microchipped or Tattooed with the number issued by the Kennel Club when the dog is so licensed."

But how do I go about getting this sorted? I did email the IKC but they don't seem to be very effective with replying to queries! Can anyone out there fill me in on how I go about this???

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes she has to be ikc reg if you want to do champ shows. You will have to get her microchipped and then organise paperwork with the kennel club. Dont bother emailing them as you wont get a response, you need to call them and get them to send out the forms to get her registered.
    To do ikc obedience you should try attend classes that know about that type of obedience and the tests you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Perfect andreac,
    Thats all I needed to know! :)
    Everybody was kinda vague when I was looking for answers,
    maybe I wasn't clear enough of my intentions!
    An ISO chip is okay for this then yes?
    Great, will give them a call, Id say they dont have the man power
    to be answering silly questions from people like me all day! :P
    Cloghran is fairly close to me, if I get us both to a
    good enough standard I will def go visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm a bit confused. Andrea, she says she has to be IKC reg, but this dog isn't, so how can Kimmy get the paperwork sorted with the IKC, only breeders can register a dog.

Does the IKC have an activity register that the dog could be registered on, is that what you mean?

Kimmy join a club, lots of competitions in Ireland that aren't IKC run champ shows, a lot of people do agility and obedience with mixed breed dogs, a local club would be your best place for information.

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. Andrea, she says she has to be IKC reg, but this dog isn't, so how can Kimmy get the paperwork sorted with the IKC, only breeders can register a dog.

Does the IKC have an activity register that the dog could be registered on, is that what you mean?

Kimmy join a club, lots of competitions in Ireland that aren't IKC run champ shows, a lot of people do agility and obedience with mixed breed dogs, a local club would be your best place for information.

Yes ISDW, there is a register that allows dogs to be just registered for Agility, obedience etc, and they dont have to be pedigree dogs, so they can be crossbreds. Its separate from the normal pedigree dogs register for this reason.
    :)

andreac wrote: »
    Yes ISDW, there is a register that allows dogs to be just registered for Agility, obedience etc, and they dont have to be pedigree dogs, so they can be crossbreds. Its separate from the normal pedigree dogs register for this reason.
    :)

Can dogs on that activity register compete at champ shows? I thought I remembered this being discussed a while ago on another forum, and they couldn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

There's a separate license from the IKC to allow you compete in obedience and agility shows. It costs €10 and the dog has to be microchipped. This is totally seperate to being able to show the dog, they'd still have to get the breeder to register the dogs for breed papers

Can dogs on that activity register compete at champ shows? I thought I remembered this being discussed a while ago on another forum, and they couldn't?

Yes they can. Sure Zoe and Lisa etc have dogs that are on the register that arent full breed dogs and they compete at IKC Agility/Obedience events. :)

lots of competitions in Ireland that aren't IKC run champ shows, a lot of people do agility and obedience with mixed breed dogs, a local club would be your best place for information.

The majority of the competitions may not be run by the IKC but they are licenced by the IKC so you do need to get the licence for obedience/agility from them.

andreac wrote: »
    Yes they can. Sure Zoe and Lisa etc have dogs that are on the register that arent full breed dogs and they compete at IKC Agility/Obedience events. :)

yeah, thats why I thought they couldn't compete at Championship shows, I remembered Lisa being very upset about it. I'm only talking about champ shows, not normal IKC shows, obviously I was mistaken.

yeah, thats why I thought they couldn't compete at Championship shows, I remembered Lisa being very upset about it. I'm only talking about champ shows, not normal IKC shows, obviously I was mistaken.

But champ shows are IKC shows.

• Advertisement

I thought not all IKC shows were champ shows?

I thought not all IKC shows were champ shows?

Not all IKC licenced shows are champ shows but I think all IKC run shows are champ shows, Andreac will clarify I'm sure.

You see, I'm totally confused, and have taken this thread completely off topic - sorry OP :)

I hope you find a club that you enjoy going to, and you have a great time.

IKC have lots of different shows, Champ, Open and limit.

Champ shows are where you can win the awards which count towards the title of becoming a champion. Open shows are the next level down where there are no champ awards on offer, but they are great for newbies, novice dogs etc.

There are obedience/agility competitions at both Champ and Open Shows but they are more often on at Champ Shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Is there a calender of upcoming shows and locations of all IKC shows and competitions?

I'd like to visit a few and observe, the IKC website is kind of vague and I can't find anything, or if you have a link that would be great

www.dogshowentry.ie
    www.showdogsireland.com
    www.irishcaninepress.com

The IKC will eventually update their show dates section.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Don't know if the Agility rules are different.

But I definitely competed in Obedience at IKC Champ shows with my collie-x and GSP-x ;)

Both had to be chipped, and were registered on the Obedience register as crossbreeds.

This is brill!
    I love how this thread has gone...
    Im learning! :P

Open shows for novices...
    Champ shows for titles...

Do you have to compete in a certain number of Open shows before you can progress to Champ then?

IKC could deffo employ someone to keep more up to date with the website though!
    Thanks everyone :)

No, you can do Champ shows without doing any open shows if you want.

I didnt start with Open Shows as i actually didnt know there was any:o I started at Champ Shows and then did some open ones after once i realised all the different ones that were available.

The only thing is, there isnt agility and obedience at all the Champ Shows and Open shows, so you would prob need to keep up to date with someone who is involved with this so they would have the full calendar of events for the year for Obedience and Agility.

Here's an event schedule for agility/obedience/working trials. It's normally very up to date

http://www.wtci.ie/events-calendar.html

• Advertisement

This is incredible!! So many events and championships, very cool.

If your trying to pick me out in the crowd, I'll be the incredibly handsome man with a young Siberian :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Vince32 wrote: »
    This is incredible!! So many events and championships, very cool.

If your trying to pick me out in the crowd, I'll be the incredibly handsome man with a young Siberian :cool:

Vince just to let you know a lot of these shows do not allow dogs at the show if they are not entered to compete!

Okay, one other question....
    As regards microchips....
    Is there a few different systems...?
    Or is the ISO one the standard?

kimmyt1987 wrote: »
    Okay, one other question....
    As regards microchips....
    Is there a few different systems...?
    Or is the ISO one the standard?

Who is the chip registered with?

garkane wrote: »
    Vince just to let you know a lot of these shows do not allow dogs at the show if they are not entered to compete!

That's too bad, I guess it makes sense though, the event on the 5th with wtci is in my local park, and the same place I booked my obedience lessons, one of the trainers invited me down to observe the competition. I'll have to double check with her if my dog is invited too:confused:

There will be 100's of dogs there, and it's in the public park, so maybe this one is allowed I'll have to call and make sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Would be been embarrassing to drive for a couple of hours to a show, and find out my dog wasn't allowed in.:D

About microchipping, I don't know if they are all the same, but my vet told my the company I used (my breeders used) was very good. fido.ie . Just ask your vet to chip your pooch, and register the 15 digit number online or by mail.

The vet will have a scanner that runs over the chipped area and the owners details are displayed on his/her screen. Just make certain that the chip in your dog is registered to you, and your all set.

Vince32 wrote: »
    That's too bad, I guess it makes sense though, the event on the 5th with wtci is in my local park, and the same place I booked my obedience lessons, one of the trainers invited me down to observe the competition. I'll have to double check with her if my dog is invited too:confused:

You will be able to have your dog there. I'm entered in that show with 3 of my lot, if you're the handsome man with the young siberian I'll be the out of breath scattered one with (you've guessed it) too many dogs in tow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

You will be able to have your dog there. I'm entered in that show with 3 of my lot, if you're the handsome man with the young siberian I'll be the out of breath scattered one with (you've guessed it) too many dogs in tow!

And I'll be the one with the Jack Russel that either randomly stops on the equipment, runs off to one of her favourite treat givers or she'll really surprise me and decide to do the course brilliantly in spite of my terrible directions!
    She's a Jack so it's up to her how it goes :D

Not chipped yet...
    Was going to get them through Canine Ireland,
    8 euro per chip and 5 for database registration...
    Would I be better off getting them done in the local vets?
    How much do they usually work out at????

Had my monster back at training this morning in the pissings of rain...
    She came back black with mud upto her belly! :P
    God I need to get back in the game and start doing a bit of obedience daily...
    She's such a little chancer....
    Any time I put her into a down and walk away she mooches her way down the field behind me, nibbling grass thinking I can't see her.... :D

• Advertisement

Stay away from canine ireland!!! Ill say no more on that. stick with the ikc as canine ireland wont count if you want to compete at ikc events so you will have to reg with the ikc as well.

Advertisement