Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fell running

Options
  • 25-01-2012 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

hi all am interested in getting into fell running as I jog and hill walk so it seems like the next step.

I know there is a technique to be learned regarding descending in particular and I have always had a tendency to turn my ankle so I would need to look at strenghtening in that area

anyone any ideas on what exercises to do to strengthen ankles and any ideas where I can learn necessary skills and orienteering aspects...is there a club?

I am aware of IMRA and had a look at that but cant see any links

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Hey, Baldric, I'd say you're best bet is to come along to an IMRA race and have a chat with some of the guys there.Take it easy for the first race and you shouldn't have an issue with your ankles.

Like you, I had a tendency to roll my ankles, and last year I did during a descent which caused some damage and a lot of trips to the physiotherapist. The exercises given really helped, and now the tendency is gone completely. It might be worth going to a physio even once-off to see what they recommend, or again see what the runners at an IMRA race do.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 wanlabanchang

Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

thanks guys good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Plenty of the IMRA guys live over at the A/R/T forum.
    It may be worth asking there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Take up orienteering on the side. All the terrain running will help strengthen your ankles. And you pick up navigational skills which come in useful if you want to do an unmarked IMRA race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If you Search for hill running within the Athletics forum you'll get lots of useful links to help you. Various discussions over the years about footwear, races, downhill running, uphill running, all sorts really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 wanlabanchang

I fell running once. It was very sore.

Yeah, just getting into this myself, have been out for an hour or two off road and on tracks over the past few weeks, just got my first trail runners (Asics outlet store in Kildare very cheap, paid €19 for a pair as didn't want to spend big starting out). Love it. It's just so much more...fun than the road stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Yeah, just getting into this myself, have been out for an hour or two off road and on tracks over the past few weeks, just got my first trail runners (Asics outlet store in Kildare very cheap, paid €19 for a pair as didn't want to spend big starting out). Love it. It's just so much more...fun than the road stuff.

That's the spirit! If at all possible these days, I stay off the road and do my running on trails. Out on Sunday after the torrential rain on Saturday night and the local forest trail was a complete mud-bath.. great fun altogether. I also find it's far kinder on the legs and muscles that road-running.

• Advertisement
Advertisement