Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird building in Clare Hall?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I was perusing Google Maps, as ya do, and noticed this weird building in the cul-de-sac of Temple View Lawns in Clare Hall. It seems to be an oddly shaped, possibly old building which is fenced off. I'm totally intrigued and wondered if anyone knew what it is? I had a look on the net but can't find any reference to it.

Have attached Google Maps pics below. It kind of looks like an igloo...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its an old ice house.. Degsy is well up on the area so maybe he'll chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi all,

So I was perusing Google Maps, as ya do, and noticed this weird building in the cul-de-sac of Temple View Lawns in Clare Hall. It seems to be an oddly shaped, possibly old building which is fenced off. I'm totally intrigued and wondered if anyone knew what it is? I had a look on the net but can't find any reference to it.

Have attached Google Maps pics below. It kind of looks like an igloo...

Perhaps something to do with St.Sampsons ? not sure

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balgriffin

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

It's an ice house, we used to play around it when we were kids, all the lads in the estate used to think it was haunted!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was thrre not a big house on the clare hall site before the houses and shops were built?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

What's an ice house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dancor wrote: »
    What's an ice house?

A large fridge. In the time before electricity it would be used to keep food cold, like a fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Des wrote: »
    What's an ice house?

A large fridge. In the time before electricity it would be used to keep food cold, like a fridge.

Cool....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Cool....

no, cold like a fridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its an old ice house.. Degsy is well up on the area so maybe he'll chime in.

Fraid i dont know anything about that particular structure..i know there were several large houses in the area before it was developed: Newgrove House,Clare Hall(later Clare Manor) and Woodlands...certainly never saw the ice house when i was younger..wherabouts exactly is it?

I presume it wouldve been part of Clare Hall back in the day?

Actually des,teh ice house was to keep ice cold..the ice wouldve been taken from there to the cold room in the kitchen of the house itself.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Actually des,teh ice house was to keep ice cold..the ice wouldve been taken from there to the cold room in the kitchen of the house itself.

Stop questioning a mod on thread, or I'll ban your sorry ass.

Stop questioning a mod on thread, or I'll ban your sorry ass.

Send me to the Cooler..put me on ice...i thawed you knew better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Seriously guys, everyone chill.
    Its ok Des will probably get cold feet.

/gets coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my mam had her wedding reception in clare manor in 1978. ill see if she has photos of the building. i believe it was destroyed by fire

I don't recall a mention of it in Douglas Appleyard's book either, which is strange.

There was an OS map around 1901 of the area..if the scale is large enough it will probably indicate it,on smaller maps they usually just show the shape of teh structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bassey wrote: »
    It's an ice house
    I suspect it was originally buried, as on the map here, it is shown with a dotted line. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,721009,740304,7,9

Victor wrote: »
    I suspect it was originally buried, as on the map here, it is shown with a dotted line. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,721009,740304,7,9

Its possible..heres a few pics of various others

_53468977_53468976.jpg

1583066_f50426dc.jpg

3391890809_830ac07af0.jpg

sugarman wrote: »
    Its not an Ice house, its a Kiln aka an oven for firing.

Even says so on OSI right here;):D

Your link is to county Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It was an ice house originally, as indicated in the historic layers, but perhaps became a kiln later. The kiln would quite possibly have been built over it since as already mentioned ice would last longer underground, afaik, like it did in the back yard cellars of our Victorian era houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Theres another 1 of those ice houses up in beaumont in what is now beaumont woods. Was part of the guiness estate

tricky D wrote: »
    It was an ice house originally, as indicated in the historic layers, but perhaps became a kiln later. The kiln would quite possibly have been built over it since as already mentioned ice would last longer underground, afaik, like it did in the back yard cellars of our Victorian era houses.

What kind of a kiln exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Thanks for the replies everybody. Delighted I'm not the only one intrigued. I must double check Green Fields Gone Forever when I get home and see if there's any mention of it.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Delighted I'm not the only one intrigued. I must double check Green Fields Gone Forever when I get home and see if there's any mention of it.

Im pretty sure there isnt..ice houses were a generic feature of country estates..there was one in Santry demense,im pretty sure there's one in St Annes and i've definatley seen one in the grounds of Ardgillan Castle.

Edit,,

There's one in Larch Hill too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larch_Hill
    The Ice-House (bunker like building) on the lower avenue was the original "refrigerator" for the old manor house. The river would have been blocked during the winter and blocks of ice cut and placed in the pit at the end of the building. Food was then stored in layers of straw, and the building sealed up. The building was accessed during summer by way of a hatch in the roof of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Has anyone any pictures of the area before the estate was built? I've lived here most of me life and it was just newly built when we moved in. Would love to see what was here before the estate was built

No idea, it just says kiln on the new OSI maps. At a guess, probably crop drying, cement/lime making, wood drying, and the like.

tricky D wrote: »
    No idea, it just says kiln on the old OSI maps. At a guess, prbobaly crop drying, cement/lime making, wood drying, and the like.

Kilns usually were purpose built structures and they looked very different..usually were much bigger,associated with other buildings and had a chimney.

In Ireland, most kilns would have been for lime, but in some locations for bricks or other manufacturing processes.

• Advertisement

Kilns usually were purpose built structures and they looked very different..usually were much bigger,associated with other buildings and had a chimney.

According to the historic OSI map, the ice house was beside Claregrove House and the current OSI online map says Kiln. Maybe they converted it to a kiln, maybe it had a chimney at some stage, maybe they're wrong, I dunno.

Advertisement