Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird building in Clare Hall?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tricky D wrote: »
    the current OSI online map says Kiln.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that. I would think it was a matter of mis-identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

all this talk of icehouse reminds me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lightleader78

Yes, there was an old house, that want on fire, I think about 1976/77.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Archidub1

The NIAH has a piece on it.... I can't post links but see below

"Freestanding single-storey icehouse, built c. 1800 for Annesley Lodge (later Clare Grove), facing east, comprising round-plan ice chamber fronted by gable-fronted rectangular-plan vestibule. Rubble stone walls, with traces of earlier render corbelling to roof, cement-render to domed top, largely obscured by vegetation, having small rubble projection at east end; red brick gable to east end with soldier-coursed coping and traces of ornamental render with inlaid shell decoration to south side of gable. Round-headed doorway to gable with red brick surround having steel grating within. Ice-house set in lawn among recent houses and surrounded by steel fence.

The icehouse is the only physical remnant of Annesley Lodge, designed for Richard Annesley by John Sutherland in the 1790s, the house later being known as Clare Grove. Although heavily covered with vegetation, the structure retains its original form and character, including traces of earlier renders. It is an important reminder of the ancillary structures that supported landed estates in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and also recalls the decline of landed estates around Dublin."

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Archidub1

Incidentally if anyone has any pictures of Clare Grove (Annesley Lodge) or any of the other big houses in the area then i'd love to see them if anyone can send a few into the thread!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

try looking for a copy of Green Fields Gone Forever by Douglas Appleyard, it's an excellent book about the history of Coolock and Artane

Advertisement