Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question about PGCE in UK

• 25-01-2012 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My degree is single honours Biology- did Maths for 3 of those years so would be allowed to teach that as per Teaching Council site. Understand it also qualifies me for Junior Cert Science.

I am considering the PGCE in the UK and they all seem to only be for Biology only, or Biology with Science. I don't mind spending my whole career teaching Biology/Science, but isn't there some requirement from the Teaching Council that you *have* to be registered for 2 subjects, ie in my case, Biology and Maths? Sorry, it's prob a silly question, but my head is just so melted from all the info overload. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My degree is single honours Biology- did Maths for 3 of those years so would be allowed to teach that as per Teaching Council site. Understand it also qualifies me for Junior Cert Science.

I am considering the PGCE in the UK and they all seem to only be for Biology only, or Biology with Science. I don't mind spending my whole career teaching Biology/Science, but isn't there some requirement from the Teaching Council that you *have* to be registered for 2 subjects, ie in my case, Biology and Maths? Sorry, it's prob a silly question, but my head is just so melted from all the info overload. Thanks

Hi OP,

I am (finally) fully registered with the Irish Teaching Council with a PGCE in just Maths, so you do not need to do 2 subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

No, you do not need to be registered in two subjects, just at least one curriculum subject. The UK system differs in that teaching qualifications specify one particular subject e.g. PGCE Biology. Their ability to teach a subject is based on their PGCE qualification, rather than the Bachelor's degree as is the case in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Does anyone know if it's particularly hard to get into doing a PGDE in the U.K?
    I have a degree in English- so is that all I would be qualified to teach in Ireland? :confused:
    (..if so, I don't see many job prospects coming my way tbh!)

If I did the, say, PGDE in Geography in the UK, would I be qualified to teach English and Geography in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Posy you would need to have other subjects in your degree to be qualified to teach them, so you would not be able to do a pgce in geography without at least 50% of your degree in that subject. If you are successful and get the pgce, you may be able to do some subsidiary subjects like religion, drama, media studies and others that may help you with job prospects back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I don't think there's any such thing as being qualified for JC of a subject anymore is there? I thought it was either you have the correct number of credits to be recognised in the subject or you don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 paddypajarro

hello all, i didnt want to start a new thread so hopefully someone can help me out with a little query.

I hold my BA in History and Sociology.

I live out of the country and for work prospects where I am, I´m planning to do an online Masters in Education with the Open University later this year.

I´d like to have the opportunity to teach back home in the future and so am interested to know if there would be the possibility of combining the MA with something that would qualify me to teach in Ireland such as the PGDE.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisement