Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tricky situation

Options
  • 25-01-2012 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Right... it will take a while to fully explain this situation, so bare with me for a few minutes!

Firstly let me say that my partner and I are expecting the birth of twins in early May, all is good and well here until one of us needed to move, since we've been living apart for a while due to work constraints.

Since my partner has very good maternity cover and reasonably secure job, it makes sense for me to move, however and after looking for jobs daily for over 4 months, the only offers I've had don't even come close to my current level of pay (that is nothing spectacular to start off with anyway 28k/yr). I've been offered for the same position I currently have as low as 19k/yr (given the state of the economy and the employers taking advantage of the climate to exploit their employees).

This brings me to a question that I was discussing with my partner today. At 19k/yr I'll see perhaps about 1500€ or 1600€ a month net, even maintaining my current level of pay I won't see more then 1950€ a month after tax. Looking for professional care for the twins, I can expect to pay around 500€ at least monthly per child, this will bring me to 1000€ plus other expenses involved in dropping off/picking up etc.

The question then is, does the government want me to work at all?

Being on the dole and looking after my children myself, I'd probably still have more money then if I work, perhaps even have access to a medical card and other benefits that I wouldn't have with a combined income of over 50k/yr even though my real income would be less.
    Does this make sense to anyone?

Most of the jobs I'd get anyways would also involve traveling, either commuting by DART or car in some instances which would add extra expenses that I wouldn't have by staying at home.

The last thing I want is to spend 24h a day looking after two tiny babies, it would drive me mad after a couple of months for as much as I love children and my babies, but is there a feasible alternative at the moment?

Her mother could look after the children, but this would mean that she'd have to stop working and we'd have to at least cover 800€ a month, however even this reduced alternative would mean that covering commuting expenses and child care I'd still have less money then if I was to stay on social welfare.

This brings another question, reading recently that anyone refusing a job offer (and I do agree with this to a certain extent) will be taken off social welfare immediately according to the government proposals, what happens then if I have to take a job at minimum wage, after a couple of months I'm forced into a situation that I have to pay for care and I can't simply afford it.

We're not by any means in the worst of situations, I know many people are in a worst place then we are and unfortunately in this day and age there's people in Ireland that don't have enough money to buy food, but what I see here is that for a young family there's simply no options in this country as we stand.

Does anyone have any idea of how we could possibly solve this issue?

Are there any alternatives for anyone living in the outskirts of Dublin?

Let's work on a bit of math now:

We're looking at a minimum rent of about €900/month for a 2 bedroom apartment or house(not even going for a 3 bed), about €500 a child for professional care, and if the current offer of a job I have in mind materializes about €350 for commuting expenses for me a month. This alone adds up to 2250€.

Partner's Monthly income: 2100€ (after tax)
    My current income: 1950€ (after tax)

If we're both working we'll be left with: €1800 net monthly for expenses, I think it is doable, we won't be super comfortable trying to save to buy a house but we'll have something that will enable us to live.

However, if we check the dole option:

My partner's income: 2100€
    My income on the dole: 752€

The costs for child care and commuting would no longer be taken into account as they wouldn't be necessary, so:

2852€ - 900€(rent) = 1952€

This means I'd have at least 152€ more a month without working, I could take a part time job, or work in some projects from home and get something extra and still spend time with my children rather then paying someone else to do so. This not to mention that we'd probably qualify for a medical card or at least a GP visit card that otherwise we wouldn't and would have to pay from our own pockets.

How do parents do it?

What options do we have?

I'm starting to think that we're not welcome in our own country anymore!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lightpause

I'd appreciate any help on this matter as I'm getting a little desperate and for as stupid as it sounds we're thinking that we may have to abandon our families and leave the country with 2 tiny babies in our hands.

Thanks everyone in advance for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think you just answered your own question there while you were writing it all out. Better get used to being a kept man, so to speak! I had to turn down a job recently because I couldn't afford to survive in the length of time before the money started coming in from it and when I closed my claim (it was a job on the other side of the country, and I have no savings following a year of being unemployed). This country is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I'm not up to speed on benefits so can't help there but can I ask where on the outskirts of Dublin you are paying 900 for a two bed apartment. I'm in celbridge in a 3 bed half decent house for under 800? Could you move to somewhere more reasonable

I think you just answered your own question there while you were writing it all out. Better get used to being a kept man, so to speak! I had to turn down a job recently because I couldn't afford to survive in the length of time before the money started coming in from it and when I closed my claim (it was a job on the other side of the country, and I have no savings following a year of being unemployed). This country is weird.

Although completely stupid to "force" someone to give up working in a sense, I could even understand this, but then they come to you and say you have to take a minimum wage job and if you don't you lose your social welfare benefits. What do you do then? You're back worst then when you started and now you lose all your benefits?

Doesn't anyone in the powers that be realize this situation is unsustainable?

I don't even know what to say, it saddens me to see this country the way it is and almost forcing me to turn my back to it in order to have a shot at a proper life, it is ridiculous.

I'm not up to speed on benefits so can't help there but can I ask where on the outskirts of Dublin you are paying 900 for a two bed apartment. I'm in celbridge in a 3 bed half decent house for under 800? Could you move to somewhere more reasonable

I've been looking all over on Daft for the last 4 months or so. I'm looking in north Wicklow, yes if I go further south or inland I can get cheaper, however inland in the winter I'll need a 4x4 (extra expense), and further south will mean commuting for my partner and a even longer distance if I'm working in Dublin.
    The only things cheaper I've seen anywhere near were Tallaght but I don't know the areas and we all know the reputation of Tallaght so I'd rather not bring up my children on a bad estate. If I try anywhere South Co. Dublin, most of what I've found has been even over those amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Tallaght's bark is worse than its bite. Do some research into that. I used to live in a place near Firhouse called, Hunters Wood. There are reasonable places out that part of Dublin. But yeah, this whole situation is not sustainable in this country. Whereas before, there was a culture of people choosing to be unemployed. Now, people cannot actually afford to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

lightpause wrote: »

I've been looking all over on Daft for the last 4 months or so. I'm looking in north Wicklow, yes if I go further south or inland I can get cheaper, however inland in the winter I'll need a 4x4 (extra expense), and further south will mean commuting for my partner and a even longer distance if I'm working in Dublin.
    The only things cheaper I've seen anywhere near were Tallaght but I don't know the areas and we all know the reputation of Tallaght so I'd rather not bring up my children on a bad estate. If I try anywhere South Co. Dublin, most of what I've found has been even over those amounts.

Ya fair enough, we're lucky to be able to commute in from the west as opposed to south. It's a crazy situation re benefits tbh tho as I said I can't help much there!0

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You are both on relativelty low wages so with one wage you might qualify for fis too.
    Life at home with 2 babies is not easy btw also means you will be the one to get up at night etc because she has work the next day.
    Childcare in Dublin normally ranges from about 800pm to 1400pm with around 1k being the most common and there is usually a 2nd child discount ranging from 10% up.
    Keep up the job hunt and see how it goes:) good luck!

Stay at home parents do not qualify for the dole as they are not available for work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement