Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Stay in Dublin for 3 Months?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My wife, daughter and I will be coming from the US and spending three months in Dublin. I was hoping this board could point us to some neighborhoods/areas where it would be good for us to stay. We don't want to have a car the entire time, so being able to walk to markets, restaurants, pubs, public transportation, etc. would be important. We don't need anything incredibly posh but obviously want the area to be safe. We're not looking to live right in the tourist spots. I'd rather live around people who are not just in town for a week or so.

If anyone has any areas that might work for us and price range for a 2 bedroom place, I would really appreciate hearing from you. If you know of any websites where these sort of short term rentals would be found that would also be helpful. Any other insight is welcome, too.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Rathmines would be very handy for a 3 month stay. It's a bustling little village with everything on your doorstep (library/shops/pubs/restaurants/cinema/swimming pool) and an excellent bus service to the city centre. Buses at peak times are evry couple of minutes. 10 mins into city centre on the bus!
    From Rathmines itself it's about a 25 min walk to St Stephen's Green! You wouldn't have too much of a problem getting a rental as it's a very popular place with students/young professionals etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathmines

It's also not far from the village of Ranelagh which has a some really nice local restaurants/Pubs etc and is a little more upmarket!

Rathgar would also be handy and it is beside Rathmines! (all D 6 postcodes)
    Check "Daft" http://www.daft.ie/
    " My Home.ie" http://www.myhome.ie/http://

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Are you coming for work or just for pleasure?
    Not much point in people telling you to live in Sandymount if you have to work in Dunshaughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Draconian Sanctions

Sundew, thanks so much for the information on Rathmines! Looks like a really great place. I'll also check out Ranelagh and Rathgar. I really appreciate the time you spent writing out that info and compiling the links.

Chopser, great question. I should have included that in my original post. We will be there for pleasure, although I will be doing some work for my company remotely via laptop. I won't need to commute to work, so that isn't a factor in where we stay.

If there are other areas anyone else thinks we should consider, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

hey op, check out Howth! (Dublin 13 or Co. Dublin) its an island off the north city, got a great fishing village feel to it, and only a few km from the city, fast journey time in with the train, I think you will find everything you need

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

hey op, check out Howth! (Dublin 13 or Co. Dublin) its an island off the north city, got a great fishing village feel to it, and only a few km from the city, fast journey time in with the train, I think you will find everything you need

Howth is lovely. As is Malahide and Portmarnock - restaurants, bus routes and the train.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malahide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Clontarf is a real nice area, close to the city and direct buses to the city centre, wonderful seafront for walking, cycling, running, etc and accessible to Howth, Malahide etc via bus and DART service.

Check out places on www.daft.ie - worth e-mailing them and asking them about short term rentals

Only thing I'd say is that you might find it difficult to get a 3 month lease on a property but have a look here - http://www.let.ie/property-to-rent/dublin/clontarf/

Clontarf should also be (slightly) cheaper than Rathmines, and Rathmines is over run by student places and may not be suitable, Rathmines empties out over the weekend mostly as students leave the city for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

howth isnt an island

raheny would be worth looking at too op. its a very nice area and close to the beach and city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

vicwatson wrote: »
    Clontarf is a real nice area, close to the city and direct buses to the city centre, wonderful seafront for walking, cycling, running, etc and accessible to Howth, Malahide etc via bus and DART service.

Check out places on www.daft.ie - worth e-mailing them and asking them about short term rentals

Only thing I'd say is that you might find it difficult to get a 3 month lease on a property but have a look here - http://www.let.ie/property-to-rent/dublin/clontarf/

Clontarf should also be (slightly) cheaper than Rathmines, and Rathmines is over run by student places and may not be suitable, Rathmines empties out over the weekend mostly as students leave the city for the weekend.

Yeah, Clontarf is a great spot. Lived there for 5 years or so. Recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Blackrock is a great area and I think could fit what you're looking for. It's on the coast and close enough to town and has good transport links while having it's own amenities.

Sandymount is also good, as is Ranelagh. Rathmines is inhabited mainly by students and I personally think while Howth is very pretty etc it is MILES out of town if you're only here for three months and want to see lots of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

I hope this is ok with the mods but I'm living in Sandyford (very close to http://www.beaconsouthquarter.com/) and will have our 2 bed apartment to rent for June, July and August. We're living 5 mins walk from the Green Luas (Tram) Line which gets you into the city centre in 20 mins. Sandyford is just a bit south of Dublin City.

If you want any additional info please drop me a PM.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of the additional suggestions! We certainly have enough places to research and make an informed decision. We're really excited to visit your wonderful country and city.

mccarte2, thanks for the information on your place. We won't be there during those months, so I don't think it'll work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

while Howth is very pretty etc it is MILES out of town if you're only here for three months and want to see lots of Dublin.

25 mins by Dart.

OP if you need anymore information us good people on here will help you out no problemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd be with the other posters, coastal, affluent, suburbs with decent Dart/public transport services IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT!!

Howth, Clontarf, Dalkey, Malahide, Dun laoghaire...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Ballsbridge is a great area too, southside, 15 mins walk to centre, close to bus, DART & LUAS. Lovely walks, parks, restaurants, in the area. Worth a look.
    :) enjoy your stay

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

vicwatson wrote: »
    25 mins by Dart.

Yeah buy how long do you have to spend waiting for the DART? Not to mention they probably won't be living next door to the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Don Booker

Would you consider anywhere outside of Dublin. There's buses in to the city from everywhere now? Like Harold's Cross myself if it's a must.

Don Booker wrote: »
    Would you consider anywhere outside of Dublin. There's buses in to the city from everywhere now? Like Harold's Cross myself if it's a must.

I guess it would depend on what the area has to offer, how far outside of the city it is, and whether there would be enough variety. I can definitely check out Harold's Cross or similar areas to see what we think. If it fits our criteria and isn't so far out that it would be a hassle getting into the city, it might be doable. Most of our days will be pretty normal, going to a pub or restaurant or library or park, in other words, just hanging around the neighborhood, etc. But we also want to be able to be near/in the city for shows, museums, etc. We also plan to rent (I think you guys say "hire" :D) a car and check out some other areas of the country.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Also, thanks vic, rambo, paudgenator, gae and don for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Don Booker wrote: »

I guess it would depend on what the area has to offer, how far outside of the city it is, and whether there would be enough variety. I can definitely check out Harold's Cross or similar areas to see what we think. If it fits our criteria and isn't so far out that it would be a hassle getting into the city, it might be doable. Most of our days will be pretty normal, going to a pub or restaurant or library or park, in other words, just hanging around the neighborhood, etc. But we also want to be able to be near/in the city for shows, museums, etc. We also plan to rent (I think you guys say "hire" :D) a car and check out some other areas of the country.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Also, thanks vic, rambo, paudgenator, gae and don for the info!

As has been suggested, take a look at the 6 southside villages running next to each other from harolds cross, to sandymount onthe coast. Between these you have, rathmines ranelagh donnybrook and ballsbridge.

All of these 6 are lovely areas and have their own eateries shops and pubs and are all within easy reah of one another. Added to this they are all no more than 1.5 miles from city centre so you have the best of both worlds! Ranelagh rathmines and donnybrook also have rathgar and terenure immediatley south and within walking distance. 2 more well facilitated villages. If you stay close to the luas line you have easy access to city centre as well as dundrum shopping centre, leopardstown racecourse and the wicklow mountains. So really well located. Take a look :-)

Advertisement