Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skincare Routine

• 25-01-2012 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone uses on their skin (kinda like TLM's makeup bag one). What can I say? I'm nosy :pac:

My skin has got very dry in the last year or so. This is pretty odd, as before that my skin was extremely oily and spot-prone! I got my face mapped a few weeks ago, as I had no idea what sort of stuff I should use on my skin (or even that it was that dry >.>). Two of my friends swear by Dermalogica, and as I'd got a bit of cash for christmas I thought I'd get some.

Cleanser: Dermalogica Essential Cleansing Solution
    Gets everything off, and is really nice and creamy.
    Toner: Lush Eau Roma
    I've been using Lush toner for aaaaaaages. It's also really good as a pick me up if skin looks dull during the day (which mine tends to do).
    Moisturiser: Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream
    This is fabulous. The difference in my skin since I started using this a few weeks ago is unreal. My skin is actually soft!
    Exfoliator: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant.
    <3 this so much. It's a little weird at first, because it's a powder that you mix with water, but it is SO good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Great topic OP, I love seeing what products others use :) Plus as I need some new good skincare, I should hopefully get some suggestions/ideas :D

Cleanser & Toner: Clarins Cleansing Duo Combination/Oily Skin - Absolutely love this stuff, leaves my skin nice and soft and feeling really clean

Face Moisturiser: Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturiser - Love this, it's light, absorbs well, you don't need much, it's cheap, doesn't break me out in spots etc. I've found it leaves the tops of my cheeks slightly red for a while after I apply it, but it doesn't actually cause irritation etc. I think Boots have it on offer for around €4 or €5, it's normally around €7 I think.

Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control Hydrating Spot Treatment - Don't like this at all.

It doesn't soak or absorb into the skin, instead it just sits on the skin. I once tried to put make up over it (about an hour after applying the cream) and my make up should slid all over the place. I looked a mess (thankfully I noticed before going anywhere).

I had to remove the make up and then had to wash, apply another moisturiser etc. I know it was my own fault, but I really feel this cream was a waste of €4.

Before going to bed one night, I put a tiny amount of the cream on the spots only and again it didn't absorb into the skin, it just sat there, the following morning when I got up and looked in the mirror, I had white flakes where the cream had flaked off. Complete waste of money.

Eye Cream: Clinique All About Eyes - I love this eye cream. It does what it says, I have very bad black bag/dark circles under my eyes and this really help them and takes them down. I can't say what it's like for fine lines (even though I have a few, at 20 years old), but even if it didn't do anything for them, I wouldn't be bothered, am not fussed about wrinkles.

Exfoliator/Scrub: St. Ives Apricot Warming Scrub - My most favourite scrub ever, been using it for a few years and have not had a bad reaction. It less than €4 and as you only need a little each time, the tube lasts for ages. I personally only used this on my nose as that's where I have the most dry skin and my skin is most flaky, I do it all over my face maybe once or twice a month. It smells lovely, leave my skin nice and soft.

Botanics Organic Smoothing Face Polish - Don't like this at all. It's very harsh on my skin, left my skin red and sore after using it. Great for using on hands/feet though.

Facial Wash: I have a few, damn Boots and their special offers! :p

Olay Gentle Cleanser Refreshing Face Wash - It's a good facial wash, the smell is slightly too strong, although it's not a bad smell, it is overpowering for me.

After about a month of using this it broke me out in big, red, sore, angry looking spots, so I stopped using it. It left my skin soft, but not as soft as other cleanser/washes. It's not something I would re-purchase.

Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 Wash and Mask - Really like this as a mask, not so much as a wash.

I put it on my spots and it really bring them down and eases soreness/stinginess. I leave it on my skin for about 5 mins and then wipe of off with cotton wool (which I run under the tap in luke warm water), my skin is so soft afterwards.

As for a wash - I find there is still some product left on my skin if I use it as a wash, but if used as mask and wiped off with cotton wool, all the product is removed.

It's quite thick so only a little is needed each time, so the tube should last you a good few months.

Neutrogena Visibly Clear Gentle Exfoliating Wash - Love this. It leaves my skin so soft and it's so gentle on my skin. I haven't had any bad reactions to it and I've been using it for a few weeks (three weeks I think). Definitely worth the €3 I paid for it. Again, you only need a little bit at a time so the tube should last a while.

Botanics Sensitive Cleansing Mousse - I'm pretty sure this is the one I have, I can't check at the moment as it at my boyfriends house.

Anyway, it's a great facial wash, not harsh on my skin at all, doesn't irritate or dry out my skin. Leaves my skin nice and soft. The only thing I don't like is the smell. I don't know how to describe it, but it is strong, too strong for me. It's not a bad smell, I just personally don't like it.

Botanics Conditioning Clay Mask - My favourite face mask. It's amazing, in my opinion anyway.

It's so gentle on my skin, leaves my skin feeling so soft and clean. The tube lasts for ages as it quite watery so you only need a little at a time.

Only thing with this is, sometimes when squirting some into the palm of m y hand, it splashed onto my (thankfully, old) clothes and the stains won't come out, so I'd wear old clothes when using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

+1 for the Botanics Clay Mask, great value and works just as well as more expensive brands!

Nick Lowe Hydrating Foaming Cleanser is really mild but leaves your skin feeling fresh and super clean.

Also love Angels on Bare Skin from Lush as it's not too harsh on sensitive skin but does a fantastic job

I also love, love, love Sanctuary's Moisture Boosting Mask, leaves you glowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

For years I never much bothered with skin care and just used face wipes and no moisturiser or anything! Ooopps!

I think I have the ideal skin care routine for me my skin is which combination. Can get oily around my t zone occasionally but in winter I can get very dry skin around my nose and mouth.

Cleanser: I use No7 Hot Cloth Cleanser in the morning and evening and love it. I've used it for about four months now and my skni has never been in such good condition. I don't use it with a muslin cloth in the morning just a face cloth because in the morning my face isn't as dirty cos I've had no make up on and I think using the muslin cloth twice a day would be too harsh for my skin.

Toner: I use Superdrugs own brand Tea tree and peppermint toner only at night also because I don't feel I need it in the morning because I've had no make up on. I know people say you don't really need toner but I love this toner, it just makes my skin feel so fresh and clean

Scrub: I love, love, love Clean and Clear Morning Energy Daily Facial Wash! I definitely don't use it everyday, probably twice/three times a week. Its amazing! My skin feels so clean and smooth after using it. I massage it into my face with my hand but then I use a facial brush from The Body Shop to really work it in and its great at clearing up dry patches.

Moisturiser: At the moment I'm using Monu Recovery Balm from November's Glossybox for my moisturiser and I love it! It really seems to balance out the redness in my skin and its suoer hydrating. My make up glides on over it perfectly and when I wake up in the morning my skni still feels so hydrated. The sample size I have gotten is lasting me well and I would consider buying the full size for £16! Before Monu I was using good old fashioned Astral Cream which I also really like but I felt it took ages to absorb which is fine at night but in the morning its a bit of a pain when you're rushing out the door to work!

Eye cream: For my eyes I use Dr.Schwab Puff Away Eye Gel which is really good. I use it at night and my puffy, dark circled eyes have really reduced in the last 9 months I've been using it. I find if I forget to use it for a few days my eyes are so much puffier

Lips: My lips get so dry and cracked especially this time of year but my Elizabeth Arden 8hour cream really works magic! Couldn't live without it!

That's it for my routine! I don't use a face mask (I wish I had time!!)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I have oily combination skin (at least I did a year ago...haven't really experience the dryness in a while).

cleanser
    I was a devout clinique 3 step user until I bought the no.7 hot cloth cleanser. My skin has been better than ever with it. I don't get as many little blemishes as I used to and the ones I've had (for about 3 months) are finally starting to fade.

toner
    Clinique one from the 3 step. I use this intermittently and I'm not sure that it makes any difference to be honest. Doesn't do much good or bad for me.

Moisturiser
    Clinique dramatically different. I like this cos it's light and absorbs well into the skin. It lasts ages too. I've a few clinique sets and a no7 set I got for xmas with various creams and lotions in so I'm interested to see if no7 can top clinique for moisturiser too. While I think clinique is worth what you pay, I wouldn't mind making a saving if no7 is as good!
    face mask
    I have a thermal one from body shop which I like. I'm afraid to use it though cos last time I got some spots...maybe I would've gotten them anyway..who knows!

eye cream
    I use a Botanics gel that I got for about 3euro. I don't have huge problems with under eye circles or darkness so I can't comment on whether it's good in that respect. I like this for when my eyes are tired though cos it's cooling.

serum
    I have been using a body shop seaweed collection night serum stuff. It's lovely and light and smells gorgeous. A tiny pump does your whole face so it lasts ages. I feel it helps with my blemishes too and leaves my skin feeling soft when I wake up.

Spot treatment
    One by simple that I got in Tesco. I find it great. Also liked the clean and clear one but I lost my tube.
    I think that's it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hedwig

I would have Oily/Normal skin and I do get a couple of small spots.

Cleanser : No7 Hot Cloth Cleanser - started using this just over a month ago and I abosolutely adore it! My skin feels so soft after using it, my skin looks clearer and it has completely got rid of the dry patches I used to get on my forehead. I would seriously recommend it, it's brilliant! I use the muslin cloth at night to properly cleanse and get any makeup off but in the morning I just use a normal facecloth (I think someone else said they did this as well :) )

Moisturiser : I was using the Simple Light moisturiser but it didn't absorb very well and left my face feeling greasy but still dry and tight. Then I tried the Nivea Soft moisuriser and I feel it's a bit heavy and over-moisturises my skin! Desperately need to find a decent one that is somewhere in the middle!!

Facial Scrub : St. Ive's Invigorating Scrub - Love this! It smells lovely and leaves my skin feeling refreshed and clean. Would use this about once/twice a week

Don't use face masks as I find they dry out my skin and don't really do much for me at all!

I think thats it... not really much, quite simple really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ooh, I love these kind of threads. :)

In the mornings, I wash my face in the shower using Cetaphil Gentle Daily Skin Cleanser. I like it 'cause it's unscented and really gentle on my skin but my face still feels clean afterwards.

I mositurise using Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion. It's nice and light but since I've been using it I haven't had any dryness in my skin at all.

I exfoliate every so often. I use Lush Sea Salt. I think this is quite abrasive so I tend to only use it about once every two weeks.

At night time, I take my make off using Boots Cleansing Wipes. I do actually properly cleanse afterwards but I use these first to get things like heavy eye make up etc., off. Tbh I use them 'cause they're cheap, always on special offer and I've never had any kind of reaction to them, nor do they make my face feel tight which some wipes can.

I make sure all of my make up is off using No. 7 Hot Cloth Cleanser. I adore this. I've bought two so far and I'll definitely invest again. I then mositurise using the moisturiser named above. And that's it. :)

Oh, if I ever have extra dry skin, I use some Botanics Face Super Balm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I have extremely dry skin lately, so I use Garnier Simply Essential for dry skin cleanser.

I then use L'oreal Perfect clean for sensitive skin. It's a facial wash and I can use it everyday and it doesn't make my skin feel drier.

I then rub on Emulysifying ointment as no other moisteriser is curing my dry skin and this ointment is fantastic and cheap. I can also use it as a body moisteriser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Gonna buy the No 7 hot cloth cleanser next time I'm in boots with all these good reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

I have oily /normal skin

Cleanser
    I have recently started using the no.7 hot cloth cleanser also and love it

toner
    Currently using the Boots time delay one in a blue bottle. Nice and refreshing on my skin

Moisturiser
    Im always trying out different moisturisers and currently am using the Monu recovery balm that I got in the November Glossybox

face mask
    Dermalogica multivitamin face mask. Do a mask only about once a month at the mo. Must try to do more often as my skin feels great after this

Exfoliator
    Dermalogica Thermofolient. Love this. Use this about once a week and makes my skin feel so smooth. Expensive but a tube of this lasts ages and can be gotten a bit cheaper online

serum
    I have been using the aldi serum and have to say I really like it and will repurchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I wash my face with water from the shower in the morning.

I use Clinque Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief as a moisturiser. Even-though it's not really a moisturiser...more of a gel! Great for oily skin though. And the pot of it lasts for AGES!

I remove my make-up in the evening with Johnson's 3 in 1 Cleansing Facial Wipes (because they are usually on offer!)

Don't use cleanser/toner/exfoliator/face washes/face masks/whatever as my skin usually turns out exactly the same as if I use nothing. Actually my skin is usually better when I use a little products as possible. They are just a huge waste of money! People get so roped in by marketing campaigns, it's gas. But I used to before so I'm not one to talk :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Has anyone ever used the Bliss face wash or moisturiser?

I was looking today as I'd really like to get a proper routine down. I tend to just grab whatever is handy and as I have very sensitive skin and eczema, it doesn't always work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Punky1978

For years I never much bothered with skin care and just used face wipes and no moisturiser or anything! Ooopps!

I think I have the ideal skin care routine for me my skin is which combination. Can get oily around my t zone occasionally but in winter I can get very dry skin around my nose and mouth.

Cleanser: I use No7 Hot Cloth Cleanser in the morning and evening and love it. I've used it for about four months now and my skni has never been in such good condition. I don't use it with a muslin cloth in the morning just a face cloth because in the morning my face isn't as dirty cos I've had no make up on and I think using the muslin cloth twice a day would be too harsh for my skin.

Toner: I use Superdrugs own brand Tea tree and peppermint toner only at night also because I don't feel I need it in the morning because I've had no make up on. I know people say you don't really need toner but I love this toner, it just makes my skin feel so fresh and clean

Scrub: I love, love, love Clean and Clear Morning Energy Daily Facial Wash! I definitely don't use it everyday, probably twice/three times a week. Its amazing! My skin feels so clean and smooth after using it. I massage it into my face with my hand but then I use a facial brush from The Body Shop to really work it in and its great at clearing up dry patches.

Moisturiser: At the moment I'm using Monu Recovery Balm from November's Glossybox for my moisturiser and I love it! It really seems to balance out the redness in my skin and its suoer hydrating. My make up glides on over it perfectly and when I wake up in the morning my skni still feels so hydrated. The sample size I have gotten is lasting me well and I would consider buying the full size for £16! Before Monu I was using good old fashioned Astral Cream which I also really like but I felt it took ages to absorb which is fine at night but in the morning its a bit of a pain when you're rushing out the door to work!

Eye cream: For my eyes I use Dr.Schwab Puff Away Eye Gel which is really good. I use it at night and my puffy, dark circled eyes have really reduced in the last 9 months I've been using it. I find if I forget to use it for a few days my eyes are so much puffier

Lips: My lips get so dry and cracked especially this time of year but my Elizabeth Arden 8hour cream really works magic! Couldn't live without it!

That's it for my routine! I don't use a face mask (I wish I had time!!)!

Hiya,can you tell me where you bought the dr schwab puff away eye gel?
    Tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

stacexD wrote: »
    Gonna buy the No 7 hot cloth cleanser next time I'm in boots with all these good reviews!

they have two now, the radiance original version and the new beautiful skin version, the new version seems better for getting of makeup, I prefer it anyway, almost identical but the new once its slightly creamier and emulsifies better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I don't use all that much on my face tbh. I have fairly decent skin, as in it's clear,but it's quite sensitive to both products and stress/hormones so I can't use a whole lot of different stuff on it without breaking out.

I use a generic silcocks base to remove my make up in the evening. Slather it all on, warm water, smush it about, remove with hot water and a face cloth.

In the morning I just give me face a quick scrub with a face cloth in the shower.

Moisturiser is just old school astral cream. My make up goes on so well after this too. It can be a little greasey though if you use too much.

I have a simple roll on spot treatment thing with I find quite good for blemishes.

St Ives apricot scrub once a week.

Lush mint face mask once a month and then bioré nose pore strips occasionally too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Punky1978 wrote: »
    Hiya,can you tell me where you bought the dr schwab puff away eye gel?
    Tks

Hi! I got the Dr Schwabb Puff away eye gel in my local beauticians, Body Connections in Dublin 15.

Would highly recommend it, has worked wonders for me

Can anyone recommend a treatment/strips for blackheads across my nose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

cleanser: no7 hot cloth cleanser, soap and glory face soap and trying out no7 gel melting cleanser

toner: botanics organic rose rose water toner. Clinque no2 clarifying lotion.

exfoliate: Clinque 7 day scrub, my muslin cloth!

moisturise: Clinque dramatically different moisturiser and nivea Q 10 day cream (love this stuff)

really miss my liz earle :( next month ill re buy I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Great post! Love to know what everyone is using and how they find it. The one thing I have found though, is that it really is a case of how the product suits the individual. I have had recommendations before, and the products just didn't suit me. Its such a shame as there is a lot of money involved. I used the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum for a long while and found it wonderful. Recently, I changed to No 7 Protect and Perfect serum. This one was recommended as top serum by American Good Housekeeping in their beauty product ratings. Unfortunately, it just isn't doing the job that the ANR did. It seems to have 'broken me out' in small spots, which fortunately are fading now.

Advertisement